“Need some windows.”
Review of Golden Gate Hotel

Golden Gate Hotel
Ranked #107 of 281 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed 13 June 2016

This was the first hotel I stayed when I first arrived in Phnom Penh. Met by very friendly and casual staff at the reception. And as it happens to be a frequent occurrence in SE Asia, my room did not have a window, so it was dark without the lights on even during the day. I could not write a review earlier but during my first stay, on the third day, I noticed lots of itchy rashes on my body and of course there were bed bugs -really big bloody bugs. They changed my room but again no window.
The second time I was there was because of a rat in my apartment. Yes, a rat was strutting on the cove ceiling in my studio apartment. So, I checked into the hotel at 1am , met by friendly staff even at that hour.
I give 5 stars for friendliness at Golden Gate Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window and avoid bed bugs. The price is higher.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 May 2016

I have stayed here twice, in two different room types, each for a week. It is a budget hotel and I would stay again if looking for budget accommodations. But in general, I'd probably pay a bit more and stay at one of the boutique hotels down the street.

First of all, the location is great. Right near the Independence Monument and there are always tuktuks to take you to see the sights. You'll need to take tuktuks around Phnom Penh anyway regardless of what area you are staying in, so this area is a bit less touristy than near the riverfront (though still touristy--lots of ATMs and tuktuk drivers), and has a lot of reasonably priced and delicious restaurants, including my favorite, Tom Yum Kang, about a block away. There is some construction going on in this area but I never found that it disrupted my sleep or walking around the streets.

The hotel itself is average. The first time I stayed in a suite and the room was large with a couch area and small kitchenette as well. I think it was on the 3rd or 4th floor. The second time I stayed in a regular basic room which was on the basement level. The hotel does have an elevator, but you have to take stairs down to the basement. In this room, my a/c was not working quite a few times, though they were able to fix it every time. I just didn't like the feel of staying in the basement. The bathroom was much less nice in the basic room than in the suite as well, though it was still very average in the suite. Both rooms had mini fridges which is nice to keep water cold and for food. Both rooms also have a locking drawer for storing valuables, but no safe.

I will say that the rooms were always clean and the wifi always worked great. The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly and speak great English. The breakfast at the hotel restaurant is very good, with both Western and Khmer choices. Depending on how full they are, they either have a buffet or allow you to order off of the menu, but either way the food is good and the fresh fruits are always on point. The hotel does your laundry for free which is a great perk! (They return it same day and I never had any issues with lost or damaged items). They can also arrange airport pickup and dropoff for a fee, which can be convenient, though you pay a premium for this.

I would say that the budget room is a decent value for the money, if you want something under $30/night that you can rely on to be safe and clean and in a good area of Phnom Penh. The suites are not worth the price, though, since for the same price you can stay at a much nicer hotel nearby.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2016

Needed one night's accommodation and found Golden Gate value for money. I was situated on the third floor in a twin room. Steep stairways but being reasonably fit I had no issues with this. Staff were friendly enough, a/con was good, TV worked and had a hearty breakfast

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2016

There are 2 Golden Gates in 278 street- almost every guest house is Golden something!
We were booked in by the organisation I work for. ~
There is newer Hotel on one side of street and an older guest house style on the other.
I know that the newer building had 15 to 20 steps with no hand rails- an issue as my wife and I both have a disability. We were attending training which was on the top floor of the hotel. I asked if there was an elevator from the ground level car park- was told yes- I doubted it by accepted. On arrival discovered - no elevator until reach foyer - up the 15 to 20 step leaning on whatever support could find. Could have stayed in old hotel and had ground floor room but would have had to climb up and down each day to attend training- between a rock and a hard place.
Staff were sympathetic but unable to help - fault was with my organization. Food and staff in both places ok. Noise in 278 street an issue these days due to level of construction in the area.

Room Tip: If disabled book into the older guest house, not the hotel. They will deliver meals to your room.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2016

golden gate is a budget hotel. so far so good. the wifi, though, is very budget as well. internet connection is very random. i complained about close to not existing internet connections for 4 days in a row. in vain. last time i complained the front desk guy told me in a very strict manner, that i am not welcomed anymore: "don't book here again."

unpleasant as well was that they cancelled the modest buffet breakfast: sorry, not enough guests, sir.

Room Tip: make sure that you ask for a room in the main building. the other building is even worse
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business