“Great grilled fish (apart from that nothing special)”
Review of Nangkhambang

Nangkhambang
Ranked #124 of 410 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Asian
Description: Very good Lao cousine. Rare dishes like fried frog skin, roasted buffalo tongues etc. GPS coordinates: 17*57'55'' N 102*36'5'' E. You don't have Lao cousine on your list!
Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

When I visited 6 years ago this was my favourite restaurant. Nowadays it's popularity seems to have gone faded as there are much more restaurants available with more extensive menus and at better prices. However it still attracts a crowd of older local regulars...

The main ( or only) reason still to visit is the excellent grilled Mekong river fish although it is a bit expensive. It comes with a nice dipping sauce.

Although staff are friendly service is a bit sloppy / disorganized.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

I and my friend decided to visit Laos in May 16 for 4 days.I chose our trip by buses+vans from Mukdahan[Thailand] to Vientiane,Luang Pra Bang.We stopped to have a dinner at Nangkhambang Food&Restaurant.It's a Loatian Restaurant and we ordered Kaeng Som Plaa[a sour fish-base Tom Yum as soup with dill,basil leaves],Sai Ua[mince pork sausage in Loa-style] and Koy PLaa [mince Mae Khong fish with some herbs composed with fresh vegetables,] and steam sticky rice. We really like Sai Ua[sausage],it's very good taste.Ah..many tourists here.

Reviewed 5 November 2015

Extraordinary neighborhood cooking with incredible administration from effective staff , sometinmes difficult to get a cool lager , the nourishment was wonderful and not costly , would go again .

Reviewed 23 June 2015

I came to this restaurant after reading the positive reviews yesterday (6-22-2015)... I was not impressed. Not only was I not impressed, I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. The building was good looking and the table settings pre-framed me to expect a good-quality and some-what upscale meal. I leafed through the menu and it all looked quite authentic and very tasty. The prices were high throughout, but I convinced myself it was only due to their high standards of cuisine and service. Being that it was a late lunch, I ordered the Double-boiled Beef Salad. Every last bit of the green is this salad was cilantro. I am not exaggerating here. I like cilantro, but believe me when I say I could barely stomach this dish and that I could not get the flavor out of my mouth for HOURS. Then comes the "ambiance". By every other indication, this was a classy joint. The ornate columns, the meticulous table setting, etc... I sit down and they start blasting "Boom, Clap", "Spend My Money", and other terrible pop-inspired American rap songs. I scarfed down my plate of cilantro and got out of there as quickly as possible. Which was tough, largely because of the food, and also because my server was no where to be found. I was the only guest in this establishment and she was no where to be found. Now, granted, I didn't come during the dinner rush, I came on a Monday, and I only tried one dish, but my overall experience was wretched and I payed a hefty price for it. I most certainly will not be coming back.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great place for travelers to enjoy fantastic Laotian food. If you dont speak the language there is the ever helpful picture menu. Must try are Sai Oua, Pak Som and Grilled Fish. Beware Grill Fish is a bit expensive (compared to other dishes) but worth it as it the meat tender and very flavorsome.

The atmosphere is more homely (average) but when you at Nangkhambang you eat the food and not the atmosphere. For the tourist, you can see how good this place is among the locals by seeing the big lunch time crowd.