“Very enjoyable combination of dance performance and Lao food”
Review of Phatoke Laoderm - CLOSED

Phatoke Laoderm
Reviewed 3 March 2014

It has been a while since the last review but this is little changed from earlier descriptions. We discovered the event by asking at the tourist information centre on Lane Xang Avenue, and found our own way there one evening. The dance performance was very enjoyable, with a variety of costumes and dance styles, a solo player of a traditional Lao pipe instrument, and a clever 'birdsong' imitator. The live music was supplemented by recorded material, which seemed less authentic. The meal was served on a large tray at the same time as the performance, which made it a little difficult to appreciate both, especially if one also wanted to take photos. We were probably the only western visitors amongst about 100. The evening was marred a little by the 10 minutes late of a large tour group, who then left before the end. The event was certainly not as serious as the performance we had seen in Luang Prabang, and I have to admit to being willing to join some of the dancers on stage at the end, Overall it was an enjoyable experience, and good value at 120k kip (under £10) per person.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

... and not for singles and there are no toilets at the venue.

I am a matured aged female travelling independently. I saw this event advertised at the Tourist Office. They booked it for me.

Whilst waiting in the foyer of the hotel where the event is held I watched a couple of busloads of middle aged/mature aged European tourists enter the venue - I was the only solo person.

The seating is made up of rows of Japanese style seating - tables of 4 (not facing the stage). I was to be seated alone at one of them but decided to sit at a western/conventional table just inside the doors where I didn't have to twist my neck to look at the stage.

The food: the advert describes it as ''traditiional Lao food'' but it was hard to know what most of it was as the lighting was so dim, but I could smell meat and perhaps fish. There was no choice offered. I tried to refuse the food but the waiters either didn't understand or ?? I left it all untouched although I was rather embarrassed at the waste especially as I seem to have been served almost as much as if there were 4 people at my table.

The dance performance was sweet and at times appeared to include some classical western ballet. I am not qualified to critique this form of dancing but I sensed it was for tourists. I left during the interval but reading elsewhere that the diners are invited onto the stage kind of confirms the ''touristy'' assumption.

8  Thank AustraliaFox
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Food was reasonable and entertainment was ok, not a bad thing to do and for only 15 bucks u cant complain.

2  Thank AussieLeethal
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I just got back from a short holiday in thailand, laos and vietnam which we booked through Trips in Asia through their website we were able to choose activities on our free days in the program.
We had a free evening in Vientiane and this being one of the only evening activities available , we thought we would give it a go.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised! At first I thought this would be a bit boring but my wife really wanted to check it out but it actually was pretty awesome, the food was great, the atmosphere was really exceptional and the staff were friendly. The performance was also pretty chill.

I would recommend it for sure. We booked it through the trips in asia site as part of a bigger multiple day package, their site lets you choose your activities online in advance so you dont have to worry about finding it or buying tickets at the door.

check out their site if u want to book this online in advance: http://tripsinasia.com/laos/vientiane

2  Thank tomandsarah2
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We decided to go here after reading a previous review on TA. Our hotel rang and made the reservation for us and told the taxi where to take us. We were greeted and shown to our seats which were on a wooden platform in front of a stage. It looked at first that we were going to be seated on the floor on cushions but at the table there was a large hole underneath for us to drop our legs down into. (May be a bit difficult for someone less mobile) We were served soup then a huge tray of about 8 different dishes containing what we were told were traditional Laos dishes. There was more than enough for two of us as well as sticky and steamed rice and finally a fresh fruit platter. It was delicious. After the food the dancing started which was very good. All tables were visited by one of the dancers whereby she placed a flower garland around everyone's neck and tied a good luck band around everyone's wrist. It was a lovely photo opportunity as the costume was so lovely. All the dancer's then invited members of the audience to join them on the stage to join in traditional dancing - again it was a great photo opportunity.

5  Thank makinupforlosttime