“Enjoyable night”
Review of Phatoke Laoderm - CLOSED

Phatoke Laoderm
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Would recommend this show as there is not a lot to do by night and it's something different to see and do (they ask you to dance with them at the end-very enjoyable) . Food is fine. Setting is fabulous. Only concern was it was hard to find. Look for the seng lao hotel.

1  Thank Annie2425

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We visited this show as part of an organised group and after depositing our shoes, we found our table. Service for drinks was reasonably prompt (although somewhat expensive) followed by crackers and peanuts. I mention this because this was all I ended up eating. When the food came (consisting of approx 6 dishes) all were too hot/spicy to eat. I should add that by this time I'd traveled all over Thailand/Laos and hadn't had any problems with food elsewhere.
Regarding the show, it was Ok but the music was so loud you couldn't talk to each other. The whole event ended at around 8.30pm.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

It has been a while since the last review but this is little changed from earlier descriptions. We discovered the event by asking at the tourist information centre on Lane Xang Avenue, and found our own way there one evening. The dance performance was very enjoyable, with a variety of costumes and dance styles, a solo player of a traditional Lao pipe instrument, and a clever 'birdsong' imitator. The live music was supplemented by recorded material, which seemed less authentic. The meal was served on a large tray at the same time as the performance, which made it a little difficult to appreciate both, especially if one also wanted to take photos. We were probably the only western visitors amongst about 100. The evening was marred a little by the 10 minutes late of a large tour group, who then left before the end. The event was certainly not as serious as the performance we had seen in Luang Prabang, and I have to admit to being willing to join some of the dancers on stage at the end, Overall it was an enjoyable experience, and good value at 120k kip (under £10) per person.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

... and not for singles and there are no toilets at the venue.

I am a matured aged female travelling independently. I saw this event advertised at the Tourist Office. They booked it for me.

Whilst waiting in the foyer of the hotel where the event is held I watched a couple of busloads of middle aged/mature aged European tourists enter the venue - I was the only solo person.

The seating is made up of rows of Japanese style seating - tables of 4 (not facing the stage). I was to be seated alone at one of them but decided to sit at a western/conventional table just inside the doors where I didn't have to twist my neck to look at the stage.

The food: the advert describes it as ''traditiional Lao food'' but it was hard to know what most of it was as the lighting was so dim, but I could smell meat and perhaps fish. There was no choice offered. I tried to refuse the food but the waiters either didn't understand or ?? I left it all untouched although I was rather embarrassed at the waste especially as I seem to have been served almost as much as if there were 4 people at my table.

The dance performance was sweet and at times appeared to include some classical western ballet. I am not qualified to critique this form of dancing but I sensed it was for tourists. I left during the interval but reading elsewhere that the diners are invited onto the stage kind of confirms the ''touristy'' assumption.

8  Thank AustraliaFox