“First Night in Laos”

Kiku
Ranked #167 of 410 Restaurants in Vientiane
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Laos Plaza Hotel where Kiku is located. Since it is our first night in Laos, we decided to take it easy and try the food in the hotel. Well, it was a pleasant surprise. We were the first guest at the restaurant. The restaurant is bright and clean. There is a pond in the middle with lots of active carps swimming. Luckily we did not sit near the pond as we probably will get wet with the carps jumping often. The menu was quite extensive. We ordered 5 dishes: Grilled Egg Plant with Miso Paste, Yakitori Chicken, Grilled Yellow Fish Cheek in salt, Grilled Octopus with Teriyaki sauce and Garlic rice. Service was quite fast given that we were the only customer then. The egg plant came first. Egg plant was soft and went very well with the miso. However, it was quite oily which was unexpected since is not deep fried. Next came the garlic rice. It was seasoned well and you could taste the garlic but not overpowering. It is not oily like some fried rice I have tasted in the past. The fish was served and is my favourite dish. The moment I lifted the meat off the fish, my husband said it smelled really nice. Meat was fresh and tender and not too salty. The octopus and yakitori were served together. The octopus was cooked perfectly as is soft but not chewy which can happen often if overcooked. Teriyaki sauce was a bit sweet which made me wonder if i should order Grilled Octopus with salt instead. Yakitori chicken was tender and well seasoned. If there is something to pick on, it probably wasn't grilled over charcoal so there is no charred bits which will give a smoky taste that some people preferred. We decided to end the meal by sharing a dessert. We ordered the green tea ice cream and I was glad it came with red bean paste as well. While some may think is pricy, I think is a nice restaurant which offer good service and tasty food using fresh ingredients. I am sure I will return for another meal while I am here for the week.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

Went here for lunch as a respite from the heat. As expected it was a delight. Had an easy set lunch with vegetable tempura - not on the menu but asked for it. Of course it can be done. Venue excellent and service excellent.

Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

Good taste, great service. If you want to have delicious Japanese food, must try! Located at basement floor of Lao Plaza Hotel.

Reviewed 18 July 2016

Located in the Plaza Hotel, Kuku was a fairly typical Japanese restaurant with an extensive menu that all looked very good and offered everything you might expect. I was the only customer for dinner (ok, I went a little early, around 19000), and the service was remarkably poor (I couldn't get my sake until my main courses arrived). A big problem with a restaurant in a 5-star hotel is that 10%tax and 10% service charge were added, something I did not experience elsewhere in Vientiane (but is typical of hotel restaurants, which is why I tend to avoid them).

Reviewed 1 July 2016

This restaurant is in the basement of the Lao Plaza Hotel, but the entrance is separate from the hotel. We were a party of seven and booked a private room. It was a traditional room but with a foot-well so the europeans could relax. We all ordered the same set meal so it made the service easy. The standard of the food was good especially the tempura, most of the sushi was good but I did have a really tough piece of octopus. We had both hot and cold sake and they were excellent. The service was good, but as there were very few other customers and we all ordered the same it was not a testing time for the staff. The service not as slick as a restaurant in Japan but they tried very hard and were exceptionally friendly.
A good restaurant for a special occasion but very expensive.