“Very beautiful and calm place with delicious food!”
Review of cafe ango

cafe ango
Ranked #38 of 470 Restaurants in Vientiane
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

The atmosphere in this restaurant is very special. Though located in a very busy street the restaurant ist very calm and feels very authentically Japanese. Food is very good too and service great!

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

It was Sunday evening, almost 9 pm, when I walked in. They were just about closing and I was happy to join in.
They served free dinner, in the name of Karma kitchen.

Some food were already finished, but I gotta taste some of the special main dishes (made by Italian chefs). And it was so good. The atmosphere and decoration are so cool in Ango. Here lies the zen and beauty, too!

Thank you for the new experience!

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

Eating at this café was a New experience for us. Food was tasty and the atmosphere was calm and soothing. The service was impecable. Though I will not dine here again I do recommend this experience.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Despite eating out a lot and travelling quite often my knowledge and experience of Japanese cuisine is pretty limited. To be honest I feel a bit intimidated by it and what little I have eaten has been nice enough but nothing special. But the reviews of this place suggested that it might be a gentle way in to Japanese food and, after a few weeks in Vientiane, it seemed like time for a change from Lao & French. So we took a deep breath and gave it a go.
Straight away it seemed to be a little world of its own. You take your shoes off at the door which helps to create a feeling of stepping into something apart. Many of the tables are low with cushions for sitting at floor level (luckily for my old bones there were also some conventional tables and chairs). The greeting was friendly but quiet and reserved. And the music was perfect - I wasn’t expecting Penguin Cafe Orchestra but their mixture of formal with somewhat homespun seemed just right.
The menu is small but carefully crafted. Drinks were nice. We had a cocktail and plum wine. They also had their own soft drinks as well as the usual beer and wine. And to eat we had roasted pork which was served simply with salad and little dabs of wasabi, mustard and (?) mayonnaise but it was cooked perfectly. We also had deep fried tofu carefully presented along with fried mushroom, aubergine and sweet potato. A side dish of carrot and beetroot cooked with “balsamico” was a nice contrast for palate and eyes. And it came with miso soup and rice. All the flavours were clean and fresh and it was all beautifully presented.
The desserts sounded great but we had no space. But it’s not far from our apartment so an opportunity awaits.
So I don’t know if the food was authentic or how it compares to other Japanese food. But I can say it was a really lovely experience and we’ll be back to try some more before long.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

Ango is a small cafe close to the Cultural Hall and a great place for everyone who loves japanese homecooking with a certain Lao fusion touch. In the meantime the kitchen is also quite quick, so u´ll soon be spoiled with yummy starters, mains and desserts.

When we wanted to visit for lunch on monday (sept. 15th) it was closed though, so I´m not sure it´s open for lunch any longer - better check over facebook.

The only thing one might wish for is more frequent changes to the menue since we always visit there when we come to Vientiane. Arigato gozaimasu!