US$77
US$125
US$112
All reviewsfloating restauranteco lodgetubingaccommodationsam
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This place has SO MUCH potential but, unfortunately, the lack of ongoing repairs made it less than what it could have been.

While a mosquito net over the bed is a great idea, holes in the net more than 4 cm wide will not deter very many mozzies. The plywood base of the wardrobe was literally falling apart and I don't think the room had been checked for dust/dirt for weeks. The bathroom was terrific - new shower, sink, toilet & cistern, but the soap dish was full of insects and dirt - a sign that the room's cleanliness had not been checked prior to our arrival. Around the pool area was starting to deteriorate; nails were sticking dangerously out of the floorboards as well as out of the upright struts.

The Lao staff were absolutely fantastic... friendly, helpful, eager to practise their English, keen to help us with our Lao language.

We went for a boat trip up river and had planned to float downstream on rubber tubes, but decided against it after seeing many dead fish and rubbish in plastic bags floating on the water where we had intended to go. This problem may not be a direct result of the lodge's lack of care and concern for its own upkeep but, if a lodge is going to promote itself as an 'eco-lodge', then I believe it should be working towards the surrounding area's environmental health as well as in its own immediate surroundings.

I had looked forward to this weekend away. Unfortunately, I will not be recommending this place to anyone in Vientiane who's looking for some time away from the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JeanneX23
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I had a few days to spare in Vientiane awaiting a visa so cycled out to the Rivertime Ecolodge and resort. Booked the cheapest room which was ok, don't expect palacial, it is remote. But the room was cheap and quite adequate. I didn't see the more expensive ones so there maybe more on offer. The main attraction is the floating restaurant, great food,extremely welcoming staff which made for a fantastic few days just swimming,eating, reading, chatting and of course an occassional Beer Lao and Lau Lao. Well reccomended.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I came to the Eco lodge on the recommendation of a friend. To start, the staff was super friendly and helpful. Over the course of 4 days I had several amazing conversations with owner(originally from england) and several of his staff(all originating from one of the two the local villages). The food was both tasty and reasonably priced. The restaurant adjacent to the lodge is also quite tasty. I opted for the dormitory option which during the low season amounts to a private room with shared bathroom.
Rivertime bills itself as an ecolodge. For them, that means maintaining a very sustainable footprint(minimizing construction, purchasing locally, recycling, etc...) and supporting the local community. The lodge encourages education and learning english through a combination of financial support and a bit of volunteer work. I was lucky to arrive at the start of a new program started by a Laos national who grew up in the USA. The lodge provided staff, housing, and transportation to help him start a new football program geared at kids. Guests were encouraged to come out and help. All in all, I was quite impressed by the genuine desire to help the lodge showed. Many other places use ecolodge more as a marketing point - Rivertime uses it more as a reminder of why they are there.

Room Tip: If you are wanting wi-fi in your room, mention that to them ahead of time. Certain rooms get a stronger signal.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ClaytonianG
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

Absolutely loved my five nights at the Rivertime. Really got the feel of Laos culture and it's amazing people. Spent Lao Pii Mai here and will never forget it. A million thanks to Barnaby, all staff and "Mr.Paul" for making my stay so memorable. Massage by the lady from the village was the best I've ever had. Food was superb and the beer was cold. Very reasonable prices aswell. Would love to go back and probably will. Thanks again, Bettina

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We loved our time here, we stayed for 2 nights but could have stayed for a lot longer. The rooms were great, with mosquito nets around the beds and a lovely bathroom. Each lodge even had its own balcony. However we spent most of our time at the floating restaurant as everybody (staff and visitors) were very friendly and the food and drink was very resonable. We played in the river and with the tubes in the swimming pool type thing in the river. We also took part in a ceremony one evening which was nice. The highlight of the trip was the local village trip as Sit took us to the local school and we walked around the village. Its a great place to relax and all the staff go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I left my phone in the room and they even brought it back to Vientiene for me the following day. I would really recommend a trip here - the scenery is beautiful and the eco lodge is great.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends