Second Home Hostel
Trip.com
US$209
US$195
  • Restaurant
DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Avcilar(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$124
US$116
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Sultan Palace Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
US$41
US$40
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsblue mosqueturkeyshared bathroomrooftop terraceother gueststurkish teaspice bazaarrooms are cleanfelt like homethe location is perfecttopkapi palacehome away from homeenjoyed my staytram stationold townmajor attractionspublic transport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2012 via mobile

We had a great experience here - friendly, welcoming staff who assisted us with tours and sightseeing suggestions and were always waiting with a smile when we returned from exploring. Small rooms but tidy and clean and a great location.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

- Great location: Sultanahmet, 3 minutes walk to Aya Sofya, 5 minutes to Galata Bridge and the Spice Bazaar

- Great staff: Memo, Nejdet, Yusuf, Cad and Selem were welcoming from the first moment, offering a Turkish tea and helping you to orientate yourself. Nejdet and I played backgammon, Yusuf practiced his English on me, Selem's insight into alternative Istanbul was great while Cad and Memo's sense of humour was epic

- Great price: I stayed in the 9 bed dorm for 7 nights at €10 per night. The hostel staff also organised either a private pick up from the airport (€24) or a shuttle (€8) and the same in return. The transfer took just over 30 minutes both ways. Turkish or apple tea was also on ready supply at the hostel

- Very good quality accommodation: My biggest concern before going was whether there was somewhere secure for my passport, money and slr camera overnight. Each bed can get bedside draw (secured by padlock) for €2 for the week. It was big enough for everything (about the height of my camera). The bed was comfy although there was just a coarse blanket for the week, no sheets. I took a silk travel-bag and it kept me comfortable while the blanket kept me warm. The dorm was in the basement with 3 single beds, 3 bunk beds, a shared toilet and a good powerful shower. It was cleaned daily.

- Atmosphere: Most communal hostel I've stayed at and great to feel a part of it. I met people from 17 different nationalities (4 continents) at Second Home in just 7 days and on one day I managed to use 7 different languages in conversation. Everybody was very sociable and it was easy to make friends. Four of us went to the Prince Islands together one day and on the Saturday night the hostel staff organised a Turkish themed night - traditional food, Turkish dancing and then everybody went out clubbing en masse in Taksim with all of the taxis organised for us.

The only three miniscule criticisms I could make would be that the ceiling of the dorm seemed quite thin as you could hear footsteps and chair scrapes upstairs (take earplugs!); Memo recommended Sultanahmet Hammam, which turned out to be a howler. Thankfully Nejdet recommended Gedikpasa Hammam to me earlier in the week so I had at least had one very good Hammam experience! Also the roof terrace of the hostel wasn't open in the Winter months.

Room Tip: Take a single bed in the corner of the dorm.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jalmalah
Reviewed 1 December 2012

it is located very good area. you can reach all famous historical places easily. and turkish ravioli night... it was great. if you stay saturday night there, you should see, and also after party Ritm Club. atmosphere was very cosy, all staff so kindly and helpfull, c ya next time

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2012

What a great four days! This hostel is close to all the major sites and a convenient tram stop (Gullhane and Sirkeci). If you stop at Gullhane, it's a short walk straight up the street in front of the tram stop. Aside from location, the staff is wonderful. I just read the negative review below (you just can't please some!) and yes, they are friendly, but they weren't hitting on me (and many Turkish men did, I will assure you...but it's all in good fun.) Anyways, they NEVER ONCE acted inappropriately. Always respectful. I felt like the guys working here were more like my big brothers than anything else, as they were always looking out for my safety (going to hammam late at night; meeting new Turkish friends on other nights). They truly cared. They offered a free walking tour, but I never had the time to go on that. Breakfast plates are prepared for you when you come down in the morning (bread, tea, spreads, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers). One time our room smelled a little foul from the drain, and the guys immediately came up and took care of the problem....and swiftly. Wifi worked great! Very fun and friendly atmosphere and would stay here again. The only complaint I can think of is to put the few power outlets in better location in the room. The one up high and by the door is pretty much useless. One near the bed would be better, if that is possible. I was in Rm 303, btw. overall, great experience! Oh and the stairs can be a bit rough, the higher up you stay. But the guys will help you with the luggage, too, so again, I give this place a big thumbs up in terms of hostels and service! John, Memo, Nazjdet (spelling?) were all great...oh, and the female, but I can't remember her name, sorry! So much fun Karen and I had!

Room Tip: The staircase can be tough with luggage, so if you have any mobility problems, request a lower floor room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank emis100
Reviewed 29 November 2012

actually this is my third hostel till i've been here and this one is located in a really good area. it is clean and always open. the staff is really friendly. they are helping a lot. the atmosphere in the hostel is really good. you never feel alone. if you want to enjoy your holiday this is a perfect option.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends