“Water with Sugar and Orange Flavor”
Review of Celal Sultan Hotel

Celal Sultan Hotel
Ranked #208 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I've always been suspicious about hotels that offer sugary water with orange flavor instead of real orange juice for breakfast and I always tried to avoid these hotels because either they don't know the difference or they know but are to cheap to give you real orange juice. Either way is not good. The Celai Sultan Hotel doesn't have the "real" thing - but that's the smallest of its problems. I'll summarize:

Airport Pickup:
A couple of days before I went to Istanbul I received an email from the hotel asking me about an airport transfer for 30€. I said "yes", so they told me my driver will wait there for me at the arrival hall. So it was, only that I had to wait for other guests arriving also going to the same hotel and they all put us in a little bus - for 30€ each. A normal cab, which I took on my way back, was around 20€.

Reception:
The first sentence at reception was: "I need 30€ for the cab". Nothing else. No "hi", no "hello".

Rooms:
I switched rooms several times. There was something smelling really bad in the 1st room they put me in. The guy carrying my suitcase said I can open the window so it doesn't smell. I asked for a different room. He called at reception and then told me they only have a bigger room available and I can move there but I have to pay extra for that. Then I spoke to the person at the reception desk who at the end gave me the other room without having to pay extra but I had to agree to be moved to another room after that 1st night. So during my stay I saw 3 rooms, out of which I stayed in two: one thing they had in common: they were all dirty as hell and I do not know how other people have not written anything about that in their reviews. The hotel is filthy as hell - not a single item that has seen a sponge in years. I had hair from other people lying around on the floor, coming down from the shower head, etc. I've uploaded all the pictures I took of the rooms.

Internet connection:
The further away you are from the elevator (that's where the router is positioned) the less good the connection is. Generally they have a very slow connection. I've been to other places/restaurans where the connection was much faster. Also VPN doesn't work. So if you need VPN to work forget this hotel.

Location:
The location is the one thing that is good about that hotel. If you're going to Istanbul as a tourist and want to visit the Hagia Sophia, etc. it's an ideal spot, cse everything is within walking distance.

Because of the in my opinion incompetent staff and the filthy rooms I cannot recommend that hotel to anyone. I will never go there again if it's on me to decide.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank koberecker

Reviewed 12 October 2012

A perfect location to visit old Istanbul with the Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar etc all in walking distance. The staff were welcoming and helpful. We booked a superior room overlooking the street at the front of the hotel and were very pleased with it. The room was spacious, comfy and clean. If you are looking for a boutique hotel this is an ideal place to stay.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The hotel is nice, in a a very good location, rooms were standard, staff were helpful although some of them dont know English!!!

The location of the hotel was very good near to tram way which can take u to galata tower and spice bazaar and grand bazaar and eminounu street, also 5mn walks from Hagia Sofia and Topkapi palace and blue mosque also ibrahim pasha palace, in the roof nice view on Hagia SOfia, the view of our room was owful , it was old buliding under demolition so we had to go to the roof often heheheheheh.

Breakfast was just ok.

Staff try to sell packages and we took one but we found out that it was cheaper outside also no free shuttle for airport and charges a bit expensive, just take a taxi.

Overall it was good And we might come back to it, after all better we know this hotel rather than trying a new one who knows how it will be!!!!!!

Ani from Dubai, Uae

Room Tip: Superior room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Delhoumanis
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Great location , 200 meters away from Aya Sofia , rooms are big, price is reasonable . The staff nag a lot trying to sell you trip in Istanbul . No views at all from the rooms, if you take the back side rooms the view is awful , however the street side s better. The terrace view is very nice.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anooos
Reviewed 19 September 2012

It is ideally located in the center of the old city. The hotel has nice, clean rooms. We especially liked the hotel for the location and the view! You must spend some time on the roof terraces, the view on the Aya Sofia is magnificent.
The personnel is very friendly and helpful. Food is very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family