KarslIoglu Hostel
US$226
US$157
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$179/night.

US$155
Agoda.com
US$512
US$418
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hotel is located in an ethnic non touristy part of Istanbul with a busy street scene. It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk to Eminonu where you can jump on a ferry or a tram. The rooms are basic but clean. We had an en suite shower room. It was 56 euros for 4 nights for 2 which is great value for this city you need to pay in local currency. The breakfast is the same every day - fresh bread, cheese slices, butter, honey, jam, chocolate hazelnut spread and olives. There are local restaurants where you can eat very cheaply. The hotel staff are very friendly although they don't really speak much English. Bottled water is complimentary and there is free WiFi although the signal is pretty weak upstairs.

If you want somewhere just to sleep and shower in an interesting Turkish locality this place is great. If you want any frills, smart shops and tourist services or to be right next to the tram system then stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This hotel is a great option if your on a tight budget. The service was excellent & rooms/bathrooms very clean. The location was fantastic & close to all touristy things.
The only thing is its quite noisy outside, & cause I'm such a light sleeper, I struggled, even with ear plugs in. But after a day of sightseeing in this beautiful city, it's not hard to be out like a light!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We visited Istanbul this weekend (4th-6th October 2013). I must say that we were very pleased with this hotel and what it has offered. It's location is in Kucuk pazar, Eminonu, in a tiny market street, where you can really experience real Turkish life and we felt safe at all times, even at night. It's location allows you to visit major touristic sights such as Agia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi palace, Sulanahmed and Kapali carsi in a walking distance. Also it is very close to Eminonu harbour from where you can take a ferry boat and go to the Asian side of Istanbul (my recommendation is: if you are in Istanbul,use the public transport, it is very well organized and punctual, you can buy Istanbul kart from the small white tolls, the kart costs 6tl and then you can load it with 20 tl or more, depends how many days you are staying there. You can ride with it on a tram, bus, ferry. The first ride will cost 1.95 and then every following ride gets cheaper. The hotel itself is small, but very very clean. We were accommodated on the second floor in a double room with a private bathroom, with a view towards Galata tower. The staff is very polite and helpful. The man who works at the reception was very nice and polite and he always offered us free coffee, tea or a bottle of water. The breakfast is not special, but is tasty. We ate in the lobby, because the hotel does not have a special breakfast room. They allowed us to eat in their little office in the back. Finally, I really recommend this hotel for a stay in Istanbul, because it worth the money, it's clean and its location is perfect.

Room Tip: Choose a double room with a private bathroom on the second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sanja K
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The location is perfect, between Sultanahmet and Galata bridge, we did not get any transport to visit all the interesting venues and go out during the night to restaurants or just walking.
It was a not turistic area but so safe and confortable.
The hotel seemed at the first glance old, but inside is new and very clean and the staff was so nice and always very helpful. There is free wi fi and they offered us for free a transfer by car to the tube station when we left, it was a really nice detail.
We spent 3 nights there and we would come back again for sure, too recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna G
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I definitely recommend this hotel!

A list of awesome things about it:

- Close to center (20-25 min walk to Sultanahmet or Galata Tower, 10 minutes to tram station)
- It is not a typical tourist location, so you can get a good taste of what the Turkish life is
- Right next to the hotel you have vendors with all kinds of fresh fruits. Imagine waking up, opening the door, taking a few steps and get your hands on water melons, figs, pears, pineapples, pomegranate juice, grapes etc.
- Everything around the hotel is very cheap, you can eat and drink very good for 7-8 lira ($4). In Taksim and Sultanahmet it is at least 3 times more expensive. Fruits, turkish delight, sweets etc are also very cheap
- Staff is truly great. The owner of the hotel even asked me to lunch. Had to refuse him because I already ate, but still offered me some desert. And a lot of free çay (tea). The guy at the counter helped me out a lot of times. Let me stay in the lobby to use the internet half a day after my check out and kept bringing me tea.
- Very clean rooms and clean bathrooms
- Laundry right next to the hotel
- Felt very safe.

Can't really call them downsides, but some might:
- I've booked a single room for myself. I stayed for one night in a normal size room but then was asked to move to a smaller one. It was very small, but to be honest I didn't care at all.
- The internet had ups and downs and sometimes needed several tries and a good few minutes to connect. But it always worked eventually.
- There is a lot of fuss outside the hotel, people are on about from 6am to 1am. If you close the window you will barely hear any sound, but if you'll want to sleep with the window open, good luck. I am a very sound sleeper so it didn't bother me, but I still shut the window. The thing is, you'd probably need to do this in any hotel you stay in Istanbul if you don't want to be woken up at 5:45 am by the morning call to prayer. :)

Tip: when you go outside the hotel, take the left on the street, then another left after 20 meters, then walk for 40-50 meters or so look on the left side for a restaurant with a big grill outside. Eat there. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo