“Honeymoon in Heaven”

Amiral Palace Hotel
Ranked #289 of 1,173 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Amiral Palace for 5 days last year in November for our Honeymoon. It was an excellent experience, staff were curteous and helpful. Our room was a corner room with a beautiful rounded window with a sitting area. The room was very clean with all the necessary amenties. The breakfast was good, we filled ourselves on yogurt and various meats, but definately save room for a Simit from a street vendor!

In terms of location, Amiral is ideally located. Sultanhamet is a bustling neighborhood and some of the hotels which are on the main street could potentially be noisey - but the Amiral is set slighly off the main "Hotel Row" by one block and I found that it was much more serene.

Sites around Sultanhamet are easily within walking distance, Hagia Sofia is about 7 minutes, Blue Mosque is the same, Topkapi is about 15 minutes, Basilica Cistern is about 10. We even walked all the way to the Galata Tower, over the Galata Bridge and that took about an hour and 25 minutes. Best Walk Ever, you see so much culture when you walk instead of taking a taxi!

My tip on restaurants: Avoid the restaurants that are nearest to the hotel, instead walk further out, past Sultanhamet Park and there are some restaurants on the road towards Topkapi and Gulyhane Park that are cheaper and really good. We ate at a restaurant twice that I believe was called Turkish BBQ. Cheap Prices and excellent Pide's and beer. Also, we at mostly street food during the day and never got sick or had problems. Sandwiches from the street vendors run you about fifty cents (US) and are great!

I would highly recommend staying at this hotel and hope to someday visit it again.

Room Tip: Corner Room was Excellent!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hist0ricTraveler

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed here with a group of six and enjoyed the hotel very much. Staff was courteous and the location was great. The breakfast gets a little redundant after three days. Most sites within walking distance in the Sutanahmet area. I recomment this place to anyone visitiing this amazing city.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Terri M
Reviewed 29 November 2011

great location in a lively corner in Sultanahmet; many mosques in walking distance also some bazaars; however, the hotel is a nice size, clean and neat; with excellent service and very friendly staff; wifi across the whole house; excellent! would go back at any time

Room Tip: top floor, corner rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Lily0008
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I spent two weeks at Amiral Palace and was impressed the whole time. The hotel is clean and the staff are courteous and friendly. My friend and I could walk to most of the locations in the Sultenhamet area of Old Town. Breakfast was part of the hotel fee, but complimentary tea was often served to us in the evening. I plan to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the far side of the hotel from the Blue Mosque. Calls to prayer can wake one up e...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I met my brother and his family who had travelled from Canada and myself from UK. We were both in transit in Istambul and were looking for a reasonable hotel.

The hotel was booked by our agent in Canada.

On my arrival I had to pay for the transportation from the airport although the website says it is free for stays of 3 nights or more. This is applicable for booking directly with the hotel. It is recommended that one would get a good deal by booking direct than via an agent. In this respect, there was also another issue to our booking but the Manager, Mr Yasin was very accommodating and a thorough gentlemen and the issue was resolved to the satisfaction of both parties.

The staff were very helpful especially Sinan, Adam, Ibrahim and the breakfast staff. However some of the staff need training in customer relations as there was no polietness,smiles or was not forthcoming to the guests. Always being serious makes it difficult for the guest to approach the staff. Would suggest to Mr Yasin to rectify this.

The rooms on the top floor are the best although my single room was continuously warm and I had to leave the window open.

The breakfast was adequate and the waiters made up for their very good service. The bread was fantastic.
Overall the hotel achieved our expectations

Room Tip: The top floor is recommended for its view of the Blue Mosque
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family