“Welcome To Amman”
Review of Abbasi Palace

Abbasi Palace
Ranked #23 of 103 Speciality Lodging in Amman
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I arrived around 1am in downtown Amman from the Airport after 30+ hour in planes and airports, and considering the entrance to Abbasi Palace is off an alleyway and took me five minutes to find the recpetion, you won't be suprised to hear I thought to myself "dear god, what have I done".
But once you enter the reception (through a shady elevator) it becomes clear why the Abbasi is so popular. Even at the dead of night the staff were friendly and helpful, and the welcome tea was highly appreciated.
The rooms themselves are basic, but what can you complain about for 11usd? Not to mention a fairly decent breakfast in the morning, accompanied by more basil tea. All over Jordan breakfast is pita bread, hard boiled eggs, maybe a bannana and some condiments, so no place i stayed sttod out from the crowd.
I will say though that in winter it can be mighty cold in Jordan (I saw snow in late January) and Abbasi rooms can get very cold, and the hot water can be tempramental, so don't count on hot showers to warm you up. And being downtown it isn't the quietest place in the world, especially near the Al Hussein Mosque.
I should point out, how daunting downtown Amman looks at 1am doesn't describe what a safe, friendly place it actually is. Right across the roads sits the market and a five minute walk to the Roman Theatre, a short but good local attraction. Never once was I hassled or felt even remotely intimidated.
Overall, a good fun place to make friends in a vibrant unique city.

Room Tip: Bring warm clothes in the winter months unlike I did.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank PhilHootz

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I like this hostel. Lady in reception was so funny and friendly. staff there are very friendly and they are always ready to help you. I took 2 share tour to Jerash an to Madaba mount nebo, it was quit cheap and also I met in this hotel very interesting and good company. Rooms are simple and clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank tjioshvili
Reviewed 7 February 2012

A great place with some very friendly and helpful staff. The room was fine with a TV. It's a good place to meet up with fellow travellers and share the cost of taxis to see the sights. It's a bit difficult to find on your own as it's down a sidestreet and the only way in seems to be by the lift. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at the Abassi Palace hotel/hostel in Jan 2012 for 5 nights. I had taken the airport bus for 3 JD to North Station (the final stop) and then a taxi from here to the hostel. Be warned that once you get to the North Station you will be swamped by taxi drivers offering to take you into downtown Amman. I was approached by a taxi driver and I asked how much it would be to get to the hotel and he said 6 JD. Do not accept this price – it should be 2 JD. I stupidly ended up paying 4 JD in the end and had to share the taxi with other people.

To enter the hotel you need to take the lift from the bottom of the building. I was shown around my standard single room with en-suite was very spacious and clean, however my room was absolutely freezing. Thankfully though there was a portable heater in my room and lots of blankets.

While the heater warmed up the room it was still somewhat cold. The hotel uses portable heaters which are used to heat the common room and computer room. Whenever I went in the common room and computer room the staff would come and turn the heaters on and move them near me to keep me warm.

The room is very basic. My bedside table lamp did not work and I had to ask reception for another light. On occasion the ensuite toilet did not flush because of lack of water. No problems with hot water in the shower though.

As I travel alone I always take my laptop to keep me occupied. To my knowledge Wi-Fi is only available in the computer room downstairs. On my laptop the signal did not reach the common room, however I noticed that it did for some other people. The Wi-Fi is appalling and completely unreliable though. Most often the Wi-Fi was so slow that you would only be able to check incoming emails and nothing else. This was somewhat frustrating as without any television in my room and no Wi-Fi there was not much to do.

There are lots of places within walking distance to eat downtown. I certainly recommend taking a walk uphill to Rainbow Street for a nice selection of upmarket cafes.

The one thing that makes this hostel/hotel stand out is the staff. Staff at this hotel are incredibly friendly and all speak great English. All staff remembered my name which was a very nice touch. In addition to this the lady owner even bought deserts for all the guests on the 4th night of my stay. Travelling to over 40 countries I have never experienced such welcoming, friendly and accommodating staff. Upon checking in I enquired about where I could get something to eat and the guy at the reception even offered to show me where I could find cheap food!!

If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay then stay here. I would certainly pay a bit extra to get somewhere with better Wi-Fi though next time and somewhere a bit warmer during the cold winter months.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Getting here is quite difficult as even the bus servces to Amman will have touts beside the road telling you there place is the Abbasi Palace. The locals find it quite amusing but if you are not careful you could lose a deposit by ending up somewhere else!

After you catch the bus from the airport to the bus depot you can catch a taxi very cheaply to downtown Amman which is where Abbasi Palace is. It is right in the heart of the downtown area.

This was my first accommodation in a foreign country and it was fantastic! The owner was fantastic and after my arrival and 26 hours worth of flights from Australia offered me to share her and her husbands meal. After eating she paid for a trip up to the temple of Hercules for me in a taxi!

My room was very clean, the whole backpackers was very clean. Her staff were always very friendly and helpful. One of the night I stayed there she prepared an incredible feast for everyone in the hostel. There was so much food that we had trouble eating it. She also showed us how to make some of the local dishes.

For trips around Amman and to the tourist destinations they have their own drivers and fares can be single or shared. I chose shared trips as it kept the costs down. You can of course choose other taxi drivers to take you to destinations but the hostel cannot guarantee any of them.

Overnight they employ someone to stay at the front counter to make sure the place is safe and also who cooks the breakfasts every morning. He was very firendly and hospitable.
After returning from Aqaba I spent another 3 nights at Abbasi Palace and if I returned to Jordan would stay there again.

The accommodation is simple but for the price what do you expect?It is well worth what you are paying for it. This place also had free Wi Fi and internet!

My only gripe is that the best part of the hostel to socialise was where everyone smoked.

Room Tip: Where ever you sleep you will hear the call to prayer. Just get used to it - you are in Amman!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo