“Interesting and tasty”
Review of Hatay Sofrasi

Hatay Sofrasi
Ranked #155 of 580 Restaurants in Kuwait City
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Had heard a lot about this place and especially about the slow-cooked dish enclosed in salt. We had to order it in advance as it takes a while to prepare. They bring it and break the salt covering which feels like rock and take out the roasted chicken stuffed with rice. It was good and their other dishes were very good as well. Overall very good taste and good service.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I had a short break at Hatay Sofrasi, Murouj. Hatay has been in Kuwait since 2015. Hatay is an authentic Turkish restaurant from Antakya. Hatay has gone through renovation this summer (2017). I am here today for tea and to explore the new place. The new menu is wide-ranging. Dogan, the waiter on duty, offered Turkish tea with one pistachio baklava as a complimentary gesture. The interior is truly Turkish with modern touches. The symbol of turkishness, of this place, is the middle fountain and wall calligraphy. I will surely dine at Hatay in the near future.

I had a browse at the NEW menu. Hatay serves Traditional Turkish breakfast daily, which consists of eggs, variety of cheese, meat, clotted cream with honey or jam and freshly baked bread. There are 2 distinctive features of Turkish food, one is the famous Borek (Turkish filo dough) and the other one is serving Kebab by meters (metrelik) for families. Borek is a traditional Turkish savory dessert with loads of cheese. At Hatay, the choice of stuffing is assorted, such as meat, cheese and vegetables. Kebab by meters is a signature dish from Turkey. It is giant kebab with a length of 194.5 meters. Desserts and sweets are special too; new items such as the milk and rice pudding are popularized.

SEE photo of interior, menu and tea.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

I had an exotic lunch at Hatay Sofrasi, Morouj Sahara Complex. Hatay Sofrasi is a Turkish restaurant serving Anatolian cuisine from Hatay region. Salih Y, a young Turkish man with fluent Lebanese accent, greeted me on arrival. I asked him "how come you have a perfect accent?” He said that he had learnt it from his Lebanese flat mates in Brazil. Salih helped me with my choices, actually he recommended my main.

3 dips were served with Turkish Bread upon being seated. The dips were: Zattar with olive oil, Labnah with zattar and Muhammah with hummus. Zattar is a wild thyme herbal mix. Muhammara is a delicious Middle Eastern dip made with roasted red peppers and walnuts. It vegan and is a great alternative to hummus! The bread was seeded with sesame.

My main order was the Kebab pasa. Kebab pasa is a hand-minced kebab with pine nuts, cheddar and pistachio served with Freekeh. I like nuts in food. The meat was well cooked and tasty. The pine nuts were roasted properly. The freekeh is my favorite grain; it is mixed with boiled chickpeas. The kebab pasa is a good portion for one person. If you are planning to go for dessert, then share the main or take it away. Freekeh is becoming the next super grain, knocking quinoa out of the rice cooker. ... Freekeh has more protein and twice as much fiber as quinoa. ... Use it anywhere you'd use whole grains. SEE photo of Freekeh. I love Hummus-Chickpeas purée with lemon juice.

I had a traditional Turkish fruit drink by the name of Tamarind drink. In Mexico, agua de tamarindo — which is made by boiling tamarind pods, removing the pulp, straining the water, and adding sugar — is a popular drink. There are 4 special Turkish drinks in the menu; they are Rose, Tamarind, Cranberry and Latakya (mixed fruits).

Enjoying Turkish tea is a must. I had Turkish tea in a tulip shaped cup with heavy base. The cup size is larger than the one in Kosebasi; most probably this is 200 ml. Delicious Turkish desserts are a must too. I had Fistikli kadayif. It is sweet dough threads with pistachios. The portion of desserts is for 2 people. The pistachio shredded wheat was aromatic.

This dining experience is much better than the Kosebasi. The food was much fresh and tastier.

SEE photos of food.

Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

I am from Turkey and restaurant is a Turkish restaurant in Kuwait. All the personal is mostly Turkish but I found it very poor and expensive for what it is. Kuwaiti people like it because it is full most of the time but you can eat a better to that price anywhere else. Service was bad either. It's a Turkish restaurant but the food is not as good as in real.

Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

I like nothing except they're good service. Apart from that I did not like the food nor the bill figures. I expected tasty meat and fancy appetizers, but I was so disappointed to pay that amount of money for funny food.

1  Thank Catalony