See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Didn't like it too much. Room was ok, but we were in front of reception and it was a bit noisy. And we like to smoke now and then, but this hostel had signs everywhere about how clean the air should be so we had to stand in front of the hostel to smoke. Also bathroom facilities were below standards. Didn't feel to welcome so after two nights we moved to another hostel..

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 23 October 2012

A solid place to rest your head in Bogota, comprising a good location and strong security.

It would be difficult to be too effusive about this place but it's relatively clean and breakfast is provided (albeit the strawberry yogurt was rather sweet!).

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Whenever we visit Bogota, which is several times each year, we always stay at Platypus. Friendly, bilingual staff, clean and affordable accommodations, excellent location, and a nice array of accommodations...they have more to offer than the main (and original) hostel...just ask! Through the years, we have stayed at Platypus as backpacking youth, a tamer married couple, and now as a family with a young son. Platypus always welcomes us "home!"

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank hotelosoperezoso
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed in this place after having read many good reviews about this place. However, the hostel is quite dirty, the bed is sooooo hard it was impossible to sleep on. I found several cockroaches in the room, too. As a pro, the location is good in the very centre of the old town.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Igor E
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I spent five nights here a few weeks ago and had I not been ill and had the energy I would probably have moved hostels. The place wasn't horrific but it lacked any atmosphere. The staff were in general grumpy and unfriendly, and on the couple of occasions I asked for something i felt like I was intruding upon their tv/chat time. Wifi is available (when it feels like working) but the signal doesn't reach most of the rooms so if you want to use it you will probably end up needing to wrap up warm in the freezing common area. The four bed dorm was ok with big lockers which you can fit your whole bag in. Lots of blankets were provided which was good as it got pretty cold at night. I managed to get a half decent matress as there were two free beds in the room but for at least one of the other beds the matress was very uncomfortable and I was grateful I arrived early enough to have a choice! The shower was temperamental but I did manage to get hot water at times. The bathroom wasn't cleaned every day which given the toilet paper issue in South America was pretty grotty. I personally wouldn't recommend this place although from what i can gather it's difficult to find a half decent hostal in Bogota.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo