Traveller's Budget Motel
Fatumaru Lodge(Port Vila)
Quest Apartments(Port Vila)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsjack and janellecommunal kitchenother islandsother guestsmeet other travellershome away from homeplace to stayrooms are cleanan easy minute walkovernight tripvanuatu tripstay in port vilalocal knowledgeclose to townnice poolswimming poolfront gate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2018

The staff is helpful. The rooms are adequate. The location is a major selling point- walking distance from the city center with restaurants, bars, shops, etc. There is also a spacious, clean kitchen area that can be used by guests.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
travellersmotel, Manager at Traveller's Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Thank you Mia. Glad you enjoyed your stay here at Traveller's.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

As I’m solo traveler I do pay attention to where I’m staying. I couldn’t have possibly chosen better place to stay in Port Vila. Small but very welcomed motel made me feel like home far away from my actual home. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful - you can ask them anything and they will do their best to help you. They will tell you what to do, where to go, where to eat, where to shop, organize a tour for you and everything they do, they do with big smile on their faces. Prices are very reasonable, especially that the name itself says ‘Travellers Budget Motel’ so don’t really expect 5 star experience but a place where you can meet fellow travelers and listen to their stories. Would definitely stay there again. Big thanks to Gabby, Agnes, Emily, Tony and Toro for making my stay be as great as possible.
Cheers!

Stayed: February 2018
travellersmotel, Owner at Traveller's Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Thanks Kat for your great review. Im greatly pleased that in my absence my daughter Gabby and my staff made your stay so enjoyable. I thank you you for visiting Travellers Budget Motel.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

I am perplexed by all of the 5/5 ratings this small mom-and-pop motel receives. Yes, Mike is a nice guy and an attentive host, but with these ratings one would be reasonable in expecting the Ritz. One recent review crowed about "Affordable Luxury". I doubt even Mike would go that far. Maybe it's the backpackers. The shared rooms were only US$15 per night and with no rats or roaches and a pool to boot, that's a pretty good deal.

What the place is is a small somewhat cramped Aus/NZ style motel with self-catering units. The 10 rooms are clustered tightly around a small pool, and with the louvered glass windows you can hear everything going on in the pool. The rooms are smaller than average and scruffier than most I've stayed in. In Aus or NZ, I would expect to pay US$50-60 for such a place.

When I was there around Christmas, Mike had friends or guests there everyday, and being as compact as it is, I felt more like a guest in his house, rather than a resident in a hotel. When I did finally complain about it, he did take care of it, but it felt like, as a paying tenant, peace and privacy weren't things I should have to ask for.

Other annoyances: there is a 5% charge for using a credit card. It did say as much, way down in the fine print of my booking, but I didn't notice it until I got the bill and went back to check. This is the highest I've seen in the 100 odd countries I've been to, but again, in fairness, all the restaurants I went to had 3-5% charges and I suspect the other hotels do too.

The hotel is located in an uninteresting neighborhood 5-10 minutes walk to the town or waterfront. Not far, but I think if I ever stay in Port Vila again, I would just pay the extra US 30-40 per night and stay at one of the nicer places on the waterfront.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
travellersmotel, General Manager at Traveller's Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2018

Thanks for the review Daniel/Frank.

The motel gets the 5/5 review because of its a budget motel. It offers clean tidy accommodation within 6-8 minutes walk to the City Centre. The Motel offers clean beds, Rooms are thoroughly cleaned daily by our meticulous staff. The rooms are presented well, you have the option of Fan Cooled or Air Cond for a budget price. You can cook for yourself in our communal kitchen. Sit and converse with other guests under our out door Fare.(Which I noticed you did very frequently)

The Motel is a smaller motel which is centered around a pool and in my opinion and other guests opinions are far from scruffy. And have never had any complaints of our pricing at all. It was Christmas time people in the festive spirit so maybe a little noisey that time of year. Any noise was dampened around 9 PM of a night.

I will make it clear my 2 daughters were staying at the motel over Christmas in our managers accommodation on an adjoining property.
My 2 daughters are sensible adults who understand the noise constraints in a motel. The person you had an issue with was a former guest who was visiting his friend that was staying there in which you seemed to enjoy swimming with their children in the pool. When you complained I asked the guest could his friends refrain from coming to the motel.

As for the credit card surcharge the day you booked you were sent an email saying we prefer cash, but do have eftpos facilities available with a 5% surcharge. It was not hidden it is usually the 5th paragraph down on the email confirmation. In the same size lettering as the rest of the confirmation.

The hotel is located in a very interesting part of the neighbor hood close to many Kava Bars, Cafes, Supermarkets on a major public transport route.

Again thank you for your review and all the best in your future travels.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

My son Rhys and I intially booked for 3 nights at Traveller's. Our great experience there convinced us to book another 3 nights at the end of our trip after island hopping to Tanna and Santo for 6 nights. Michael kindly looked after our larger bags while we backpacked. He was the perfect host during our stay. He always stayed up late at night to listen to our latest experiences in Vanuatu. He provided good local knowledge usually while we enjoyed a nice cold beer available from the kitchen fridge at a low cost. We enjoyed the breakfast provided each day in the open kitchen by the pool.

Rooms were always neat and clean and the lovely pool and gardens were always well maintained. Traveller's is a great location close to the heart of the city. It is also a short walk to the local soccer stadium which is definately worth a look for a great experience.

Michael and his team went out of their way to make our stay all the more enjoyable. This also included transport a couple of times when we were in a hurry, having said that, transport was readily available from the front gate.

Thanks to Michael, Emily, Tony and Agnes for making it a true Vanuatu experience!

Sorry this is late Michael, but life is as hectic at home as we made it in Pt Vila. We shall return!!!

Craig and Rhys

Room Tip: All rooms are equally located around the swimming pool, open kitchen and gardens.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
travellersmotel, General Manager at Traveller's Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2018

Thanks Craig and Rhys for a great review. It would be lovely to see you both again one day. Enjoyed your stories and admired your culinary capabilities.
And thanks for the referrals.
Michael

Reviewed 3 January 2018

Had a wonderful time here. It is close to downtown and you can walk or grab a bus. The room was clean, had A/C and was really nice. There is a small grocery store just down the road as well. The owners are very friendly, helped with transfers and a late checkout. There is a small pool in the middle which is a perfect way to cool down after wondering through town. I think some of bad reviews are based on expectations. It is not a resort, much less one insulated from the real Port Vila.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
travellersmotel, Manager at Traveller's Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Thank you Eric for your review.