Everything about The Strand exudes turn-of-the-century glam. The hotel was recently renovated and is absolutely GORGEOUS. A shining example of “past meets present”, the hotel maintains its original colonial architecture from 1901, updated with only the most luxurious finishings (think chandeliers, high ceilings, and colonial-style oak banisters, etc). The furnishings are grand and authentic, fitting with the heritage design. We loved that they had a Burmese man playing traditional instruments in the lobby. Our room was gigantic and beyond luxurious, with a dedicated butler team just a dial away if we needed anything. You can get complimentary tea and coffee served in your room at any time, and we even got breakfast delivered to our room our second day.
The hotel has an on-site cafe with a mix of western breakfast and burmese dishes. It was delicious!! The cafe itself reminds you of a bygone area with vintage furniture, teak-framed windows, and polished floors. In addition to the cafe, the hotel has a famous bar called Sarkies that has a fabulous cocktail menu- the highlight for me was the amazing selection of champagne cocktails!!!
The hotel is actually one of Yangon’s most iconic buildings and tourists staying elsewhere often stop by Sarkies for a drink. Every cab driver knew where The Strand was, which made getting around really easy. The location is in the heart of Yangon, just a short cab drive away from the city’s main attractions (Schwedagon Pagoda, Sule Pagoda, Botataung Pagoda, Kandawagyi Lake, etc).
Besides the beautiful design, what really makes this hotel so exceptional is the service. The lovely staff is very well-trained and provided flawless service throughout our stay. Extras like daily fresh fruit, plush robes, turn down service, welcome drinks, etc made the stay even more worthwhile. Big thanks to the manager Mark for making sure we had an exceptional experience. I can’t imagine staying anywhere else in Yangon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Strand Yangon closed on 1 May until November 2016 to undergo a complete facelift that will return the award-winning heritage hotel to its former glory. Constructed in 1901 in a classic colonial style, the hotel will retain its heritage architectural details, such as marble and teak wood flooring, ceiling fans, chandeliers, lacquer wood furniture, Burmese antiques, and signature service elements, while being given a complete upgrade and contemporary twist through a refreshed colour palette and subtle decorative details. The interiors of all the hotel's 31 suites will be redecorated in keeping with the Strand's legendary style and elegance, while at the same time updated with the latest technology, including new air conditioning, sound and communications systems. The Strand is famous around the world for its flawless, personalised service and suites will continue to be attended by the hotel's team of highly trained butlers. Once "The finest hostelry East of Suez", we are very eager to reveal the new Strand and bring it back to its former glory. Please continue visiting us for updates and bookings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Strand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Strand Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Strand Yangon Rangoon
- Strand Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- The Strand Yangon, Myanmar