This Great Dame was once The Instituition in Rangoon during the colonial days. Stepping into this hotel reminds one of its greatness. Everything oozes with history and colonial charms from the designated Butler service to the Sarkies Bar which hosted Orwell and Kipling once.
The hotel is simply marvellous. In my travels I stayed in many grand hotels, however I was really looking forward to stay in this place and it was special.
The hotel underwent refurbishment in 2016. So it is now a beautifully refurbished place with decor of Raffles meets Christian Liaigre. Check in was superb with warm and friendly staff members helping us swiftly.
We were upgraded to the deluxe suite which was enormous with very large and comfortable beds.
The staff members were attentive and always ever helping and we constantly see Mark, the hotel manager walking around assisting where needed and greeting the patrons. A good sign indeed.
Being located on The Strand Road, made it a very convenient place to walk around.
If you plan to stay in Yangon, I highly reccomend this place, pay a little extra if you can as you will be experiencing the history of Rangoon on a silver platter. I will definitely stay here again if I get a chance to visit Yangon. A hotel worthy of SIX stars!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Strand Yangon closed on 1 May until November 2016 to undergo a complete facelift that will return the award-winning heritage hotel to its former glory. Constructed in 1901 in a classic colonial style, the hotel will retain its heritage architectural details, such as marble and teak wood flooring, ceiling fans, chandeliers, lacquer wood furniture, Burmese antiques, and signature service elements, while being given a complete upgrade and contemporary twist through a refreshed colour palette and subtle decorative details. The interiors of all the hotel's 31 suites will be redecorated in keeping with the Strand's legendary style and elegance, while at the same time updated with the latest technology, including new air conditioning, sound and communications systems. The Strand is famous around the world for its flawless, personalised service and suites will continue to be attended by the hotel's team of highly trained butlers. Once "The finest hostelry East of Suez", we are very eager to reveal the new Strand and bring it back to its former glory. Please continue visiting us for updates and bookings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly, Agoda and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your The Strand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Strand Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Strand Yangon Rangoon
- Strand Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- The Strand Yangon, Myanmar