This Great Dame was once The Instituition in Rangoon during the colonial days. Stepping into this hotel reminds one of its greatness. Everything oozes with history and colonial charms from the designated Butler service to the Sarkies Bar which hosted Orwell and Kipling once.
The hotel is simply marvellous. In my travels I stayed in many grand hotels, however I was really looking forward to stay in this place and it was special.
The hotel underwent refurbishment in 2016. So it is now a beautifully refurbished place with decor of Raffles meets Christian Liaigre. Check in was superb with warm and friendly staff members helping us swiftly.
We were upgraded to the deluxe suite which was enormous with very large and comfortable beds.
The staff members were attentive and always ever helping and we constantly see Mark, the hotel manager walking around assisting where needed and greeting the patrons. A good sign indeed.
Being located on The Strand Road, made it a very convenient place to walk around.
If you plan to stay in Yangon, I highly reccomend this place, pay a little extra if you can as you will be experiencing the history of Rangoon on a silver platter. I will definitely stay here again if I get a chance to visit Yangon. A hotel worthy of SIX stars!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1901The Strand has featured as a landmark of this vibrant city for over a century, offering guests an oasis of calm, timeless elegance and understated luxury. The recent renovation project afforded a complete overhaul of its infrastructure, and restored The Strand to its former glory, featuring marble and teak wood flooring, ceiling fans, chandeliers and lacquer wood furniture, interspersed with Burmese antiques. Our 24-hour bespoke Butler service attends to the 32 suites, ensuring every whim is taken care of, and The Strand offers guests a welcome respite from the frenetic city, buoyed by the warmth and kindness of the Myanmar people, which remains the very essence of The Strand. Often regarded as the Grand Dame of Yangon, The Strand offers guests the opportunity to languor amidst a rich tapestry of past meets present, seamlessly blending architectural heritage with history, set against a backdrop of Colonial splendor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Strand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Strand Hotel Yangon (Rangoon)
- Strand Yangon Rangoon
- Strand Hotel Yangon Rangoon
- The Strand Yangon, Myanmar