“I wouldn't want to stay in The Strand again”
Review of The Strand

The Strand
Ranked #3 of 162 Hotels in Yangon (Rangoon)
Reviewed 9 April 2017

It's a beautiful building with beautiful design. But first of all there is no a swimming pool there. It was very hot outside and it could be pleasant to relax near the swimming pool. Location is not the best in down town. Very noisy and dirty around. We couldn't sleep in the room because of noise. Service is also not good. In the bar we were waiting 30 minutes before waitress came to us to take order and very long she didn't understand what we want to order. In The Strand restaurant food was awful. Fish was cooked very bad. Beef was bad quality. After the meal both of us were sick and we went to the doctor. It seems a mess in their service and bad quality of food.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 April 2017

I was absolutely glad that I chose to spend my only Yangon day at The Strand Yangon. From airport to the hotel was a typical chaotic Asian metropolitan driving, surprisingly the taxi driver played Beatle music which fitted well of the sunshine old Myanmar capital and my own mood for distance journey. From the street view the hotel isn't that grande yet. But once you step into the lobby, the beautifully renovated colonial style immediately pleases every visitor. The service was very personal and exceeded my expectation. The restaurant was also so superb and I ended having all my meals in the hotel. I had a standard room which is grande and spacious. The city was over 100 degrees and I needed a break in between my travels. I spent most my day in this oasis of Yangon to enjoy the hotel and people. The only thing I say is that it doesn't have a garden or pool. But considering the central location, it would be difficult to add on such luxury. Greatly appreciated the operation manager Mark's hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

This Great Dame was once The Instituition in Rangoon during the colonial days. Stepping into this hotel reminds one of its greatness. Everything oozes with history and colonial charms from the designated Butler service to the Sarkies Bar which hosted Orwell and Kipling once.

The hotel is simply marvellous. In my travels I stayed in many grand hotels, however I was really looking forward to stay in this place and it was special.

The hotel underwent refurbishment in 2016. So it is now a beautifully refurbished place with decor of Raffles meets Christian Liaigre. Check in was superb with warm and friendly staff members helping us swiftly.
We were upgraded to the deluxe suite which was enormous with very large and comfortable beds.

The staff members were attentive and always ever helping and we constantly see Mark, the hotel manager walking around assisting where needed and greeting the patrons. A good sign indeed.

Being located on The Strand Road, made it a very convenient place to walk around.

If you plan to stay in Yangon, I highly reccomend this place, pay a little extra if you can as you will be experiencing the history of Rangoon on a silver platter. I will definitely stay here again if I get a chance to visit Yangon. A hotel worthy of SIX stars!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2017

We stayed 2 nights, went off to the Golden Rock, and returned for 1 more night

The welcome at reception is first class, and a manager is always on hand to jolly you along and listen/advise

The location is good, as you can walk into town in a few minutes, and there are other restaurants in the area if you want to dine out

Our room on both visits was exceptional, though I did prefer the one that faced the river to the one that was on a side street. Rooms ooze dark teak wood and colonial style. They are a size that you do not get these days in cities. High ceilings quality furnishings. One is allocated a butler, which I personally could have done without, but I appreciate that many like that touch. Naturally beds are turned down at night. A large fruit basket is replaced daily, and tapas are brought round before dinner.

My major gripe, and the manager is aware of this, is that the Fine Dining Restaurant, which we were looking forward to, was closed for a week, so we never got to it. It took much effort to extract this information on closure from staff

So we ate in their cafe one evening - they offer a very reasonable fixed price meal as well as a la carte. It was fine for one evening, but we did not fancy the same on another night

We sampled the afternoon tea another day. Which I thought overpriced for what was offered. In addition the sandwiches were not fresh - curling at the edges as they dried out. At these prices, sandwiches should be fresh

The bar, I thought was exceptional. Very atmospheric, and brilliant service. We settled for drinks and tapas in the bar for two nights, in lieu of the closed restaurant. The drinks and the tapas were excellent. And one was tempted to overindulge in both.

Breakfast too was exceptional. Happily served rather than buffet. Everything was fresh, and I would commend both the juices and the smoothies. You could order away from the large choice on the menu, until it was time to stagger off for another days sightseeing

In spite of my little niggles, I thought that this was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The managers and staff do a fantastic job. The rooms and public area are of high quality. So, as I say, I would not want to stay anywhere else in Yangon, The Strand is what a 5 star hotel should be

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

This room is above the famous bar and unless you sleep like the dead the activity and noise will keep you up. Also, the room is a corner room so it catches the noise from the front road and the side street and trust me it never ceases. As a side note we were there on a Saturday night and the bar had a Dj in the bar from 8:00 to whenever and the noise and reverberations could be felt. Now as stated if screaming banshees and the circular train coming through your room would not wake you, like my wife who slept perfectly, then 102 is perfect for you. If not opt for the back of the house. By the way, in the lobby they have a very peaceful xylophone being played in the afternoon but for that night a DJ in a colonial bar- really?

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple