“Great way to get around and cheap”
Review of Metro Tbilisi

Metro Tbilisi
Ranked #2 of 30 Transportation in Tbilisi
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Boy, this was a surprise stuff. The Metro is deep underground, felt it is about a KM below the ground. The staff were very friendly for a change and helped us with the tickets though they could not speak much English. It's a mini version of a bullet train, very fast though the coaches are a little rickety but was fun and quick efficient way to explore Tbilisi away from the regular grind of the tourist path. We tried this as everyone cautioned us about the taxi cheats, who fleece the tourists instantly.

All reviews
"stops"
in 11 reviews
"thrill"

Reviewed 14 June 2018

This metro is old but it is efficient and is very deep underground, what caught my attention was the escalators that are very fast and it goes a long way up or down, it literally takes around 2 minutes to go from the ground level to the trains and vice versa.
the trains are old but they go very fast. I also have to mention that you can't go to all places in the city by Metro, but there it helps a lot and is the cheapest way of transportation.

Reviewed 13 June 2018

It was a rather intense experience I arrived in Georgia on a public holiday and the metro was packed.
The experience starts before you even go in, going past the little shops, people trying to pull your suitcase and everyone trying to help while speaking Georgian over each other... Did I mention I do not speak a word of Georgian?

I got the card and some handwritten direction from the ladies at the pay area, and was assisted further by the security personnel, who too speak over each other. haha

I had people delightfully carry my bags and try help and they were wonderful. Georgians are the friendliest people I have come across so far in my travels..

Going up (or down, I was too busy crapping my pants in fear to register) those escalators is SCARY!!!! the whole experience is scary! But it is like a rollercoaster is more likely to end bad than good... adrenaline rush

Then came time to board the fast approaching train that shuts doors on you as you get in, and probably 200 people fitting into a tiny compartment... and more talking over each other....

Next stop, 10 people get off, and what seems like 100 come in.

HOW DO THEY ALL FIT IN???? magic? Optical illusion?

It went on like this, with 10 getting out and what feels like 100 coming in...

It is like a cremation over inside... HOT! I feared fainting and some wonderful lady read my mind and gave me this red drink -refreshing and scary to say the least drinking from an unknown source... better than my imminent death me thought...

I have not had the courage to do the metro again, and have used taxify because I get queasy thinking of how crowded, dark and scary it is...

2  Thank slummiesgirl
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Tbilisi metro opened in 11th January 1966. It was first metro system which opened in city where population was under 1 million. Tbilisi metro stations are very deep and beautifully decorated. After 1990s crisis, trains and stations were modernized. Now Tbilisi has 23 stations and two lines.