“Amazing collection of African art and artefacts ”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
African Heritage House
Ranked #10 of 288 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

I absolutely loved the tour of the house. Alan has the most amazing collection of African artefacts beautifully displayed in the house. The guide or Alan can passionately tell you any details you want to know about the often historic artefacts.

I also had a delicious home cooked lunch there that I think was good value. The vegetarian option was as good as the chicken option and the many side dishes gave me plenty of choice.

I booked the visit only one day before so don't be put off if you don't like to plan in advance.

I booked the driver suggested on Alan's website who was punctual. Speaking to taxi drivers afterwards I found out that you can probably get a cheaper deal if you find your own taxi driver but they don't all know the way to the house.

This place is absolutely unmissable if you have an interest in African art. The collection is better than what you'll find in the National Museum.

Stayed: April 2017

Reviewed 10 December 2016

After 6 years spent in this beautiful country, we coudn't leave without visiting this well known and amazing house. We were not desappointed! The house and Alan's collection of african art is wonderful! Our guide was very knowlegeable and lunch on the terrace facing Nairobi National Park was very pleasant. As collectors and admirers of african art, we were delighted by some old and rare pieces of the collection. If you are in Nairobi this place really deserves a visit.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

We had such a fabulous experience including lunch and great conversation with Alan. You must call ahead and make plans for this private tour. Definitely a highlight not to be missed. The views and authentic artifacts he's collected are amazing. What a tasty lunch his staff made for us to share with him.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2016

Visiting the African Heritage House, meeting and having lunch with Alan Donovan had been one of the most memorable trips I ever had! He was not simply accommodating, he is a legend himself- very inspiring! The experience made me look back at my life, ask myself if I had followed my heart, and plan to make a difference moving forward, while following your passion. A real must visit in Kenya! Everything and everyone had just been great!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Alan Donovan's home MUST be visited. It is inspiring, uplifting and so very educational. His nearly half century of immersion in Africa's rich cultural heritage is all here for us to feast on and learn from, in so many forms and dimensions.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family