“Love it or hate it”

Max Land
Ranked #326 of 592 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African
Reviewed 26 December 2014

All self respecting Nairobi residents have a favorite nyama choma joint. Debates over which reigns supreme are very common, my favorite is Maxie, as my family affectionately calls it. Yes, it's a bit dingy and run down. Yes the bathrooms are atrocious (it is a choma joint after all). But other than that, it's wonderful. You can order in advance to make sure you don't have to wait hungrily for your order, the bartender is a great friendly guy, drinks are in abundance, there's always football or a 1 man band for entertainment and people do not bother each other.

I recommend the grilled chicken, mukimo and the amazing spicy mutura. What's not to love about a place where you can buy mara or buy a half or whole goat head????

Leave any snobbishness at the door and get set to enjoy great nyama.

Reviewed 26 October 2014

This restaurant is near a large new office space, and the food was fine. I had the chicken and rice, with extra spice. While I've had better (the chicken was a bit dry), I've also paid more money at other locations. This is a local place, with many regional specialities. When I walked in, I could see some raw hearts (goat?) ready to be grilled. All sorts of meat were available for grilling, and many different types of veggie side dishes. I would go again.

Reviewed 12 September 2014 via mobile

This review is a somewhat conflicted one. The food is really incredible and I imagine you'd be pleased if you told the waitress to just pick anything for you. However I forgot what I ordered pretty much every time I ordered. The service was really slow in fact saying the service is slow is the understatement of the century. The last time I went, and I've gone to this place at least 10x my last visit to Kenya, I actually was able to get a haircut right across from the restaurant! I even spoke to the cat who cut my hair for quite some time. (He's a real cool guy from Nakuru) When I went back into the restaurant I had to wait for another 15 minutes before my food was ready. It was insane, but the food was so good. My suggestion is to go there with a group of people and be in no real rush. The food is a 10 the service is a real zero and that pretty much explains my rating when averaging the two. Maybe the zero is a bit harsh. While they were slow they were at least kind.

1  Thank Chege N
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Awesome Nyama choma but quality of the rest has dipped. ordering regular food will not get you much satisfaction.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I love nyama choma and always looking for a local non touristy spot in Nairobi to give it a go.
Went to Max Land the later part of March and it for sure fulfilled my expectations and tons of well cooked goat and also a side of roasted potatoes. The meat was excellent and could not finish it all. And the price point for so much good meat was super.
Setting not the greatest, but who cares as long as the food is good. Service was just fine, the only think I missed and this is true of many nyama choma places is the lack of pork choices as I love the addition of pork ribs.
If in Kenya and in Nairobi I would highly recommend Max Land as a place to try.

Jim from Minnesota