Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club
Priceline
US$89
US$79
Priceline
All reviewsgreat golf coursejogging trackthe cottagespool sideroom servicerooms are greatan upgradeconferencekenyaedwardgymconciergeoutskirtsworkshoprelaxationcompoundsecurity
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

I booked the Windsor having read the reviews and sooo wanting for these to be wrong and unfair. So wanting for me to be able to dismiss these poor reviews as those submitted by spoiled, untested travelers used to fake luxury, unable to appreciate time-tested, old fashioned charm going way beyond a fake modern veneer.

Unfortunately, the poor reviews are reflecting the reality and my review therefore equally (and most regretfully) has to reflect similarly so.

The hotel may have had a glorious past, but at this time it is a far cry from that faded memory.

The setting of the hotel remains absolutely spectacular. On the outskirts of Nairobi away from the city's hustle and bustle in greenery and nature. So full marks for location. But beyond location, everything else goes downhill.

At above $350/night you are not getting your money's worth. The staff are sultry, slow, noisy and tend to jump over where the bar is the lowest.

If you order a cup of tea, chances are you will get a thermos filled up from massive thermoses and the tea will have sat in the giant thermoses for hours and therefore bitter and undrinkable.

There is no tea kettle in the rooms. The refrigerators in the room are empty so no in-room supplies.

The rooms are un-cleanable as the carpets are ancient and threadbare. Fungi grows in the bathroom shower stall.

I stayed in room 312. Avoid. There is zero water pressure and the hot water is gone by 8 or 9 am. So if you get up at 6am you can shower with hot water, if you "hug" the wall, as the pressure is so low that the water essentially flows alongside the wall and not spraying out of the shower head.

The dinner and lunch menu is at best a 1 or 2 star experience and the service takes forever. Breakfast ditto. Uninspired with very poor menu choice and tired display.

The pool is nice and heated which is an advance for sure. There is a gym which is not very interesting. But it is there, at least.

The staff are a problem. I get a sense that they all need to return to hotel school. They shout loudly in noisy conversations at all times, so you get the sense that you are disturbing their routines, when you ask for something. If you go to the women's changing room, it is full of female staff hanging out there, so --again-- you get the sense that you are in the way.

The business center was the worst. Staff were shouting on top of their lungs for an hour. Unbelievable.

Don't eat or order the ice cream. I saw the lady opening the ice cream stall uncovering each of the ice-cream trays and sticking her finger in each tray, as she removed the cellophane cover, licking her finger to taste the ice cream. She did this for each tray. Perhaps 10 times. Same finger. People buy that ice team for themselves and the kids who come to use the pool in the afternoons.

I have seen Windsor management's standard response to the poor reviews on TripAdvisor in which they politely thank for the feedback and suggest that guests should bring the shortcomings to their attention.

But I really cannot believe that management does not know. Does not know about mediocre service; does not know about dirty rooms; does not know that hot water tank is empty by 9 am; does not know about ancient tea being served; does not know about screaming and shouting staff; does not know about all the staff hanging out in the changing room.

It is really too bad, as the place has the soul of what could be a fantastic place. It is surviving on location, golf and a past glory.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Ellen M
Vijay K, General Manager at Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the resort.

We endeavor to take care of our guests and it is unfortunate that your expectations were not met. We appreciate your fact finding detailed review and all challenges faced by any guest arre brought to my attention and we take steps behind the screen to address the same & resolve them to our best of abilities.

Have taken note of your review and would like to talk to you,kindly share your contact coordinates with my office at vijay@windsor.co.ke

Look forward to hear from your end.

Merry X Mas & Happy New Year 2018

Reviewed 2 December 2017

The grounds of the Windsor hotel are stunning, and the views from the hotel are nice and refreshing, with lots of outdoor space. The main lobby and restaurants are well kept, and the staff is friendly.
However, when you get to the room, it looks like what has once been a pretty place has given way to decay. Small amenities are not maintained well, furniture and the room looked old.
In addition, the telephone and the television did not work (which I consider key amenities). Since I could not make a call, I had to walk back all the way to the reception (which is quite a distance from some of the rooms). I asked for the telephone and the TV to be fixed. After an hour in my room - staring at the wall -, I made my way back to the reception, and it was obvious that no action had been taken (maybe problems go away if you just ignore them?). Only after requesting the manager, I had two staff coming to my room to look into the telephone and the TV. It was nearly midnight when I finally was able to make a phone call and switch on my TV to relax.
I cannot call this a pleasant stay.
Furthermore I was also not impressed by the food, especially paying high hotel prices. There are many nice restaurants in Nairobi - it is worth going out.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank MrBRabbit

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We have taken note of your experience as a team and our Chef as well as the technical teams have noted your experience with regards to food & issues related to TV and Telephone.

At the Windsor we value all our guests and work toward ensuring each one has a memorable experience.

We look forward to hosting you again & we assure that these issues would be resolved soon.

Merry X Mas & Happy New Year

Reviewed 18 November 2017

We went for the golf and to be outside of the city - it is a lovely property.
The golf is very good - the rooms are fine - a little tired but no issues - large - clean and quiet - no complaints.
Staff were very good - food was fine - nice pool and large gym and walking or jogging paths through the property.
A nice place to stay outside of the hustle of the city.

Room Tip: all rooms look out over the grounds.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and rating us.Much appreciated.

We are glad that you enjoyed the Windsor Experience.

The serene ambience, sunny blue skies and beautifully manicured gardens offer trigger an appreciation to nature. For those who prefer a stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city, Windsor Golf Hotel & Country Club is the place to be.

We look forward to hosting you again very soon.

Merry X Mas & Happy New Year 2018.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

The grounds of the Windsor are beautifully maintained; it is a stunning property. I have visited the hotel on a number of occasions in the past for lunch and to swim in the lovely heated pool there. In October, I booked a room for two nights. Sorry to say, what I hoped would be an elegant experience turned out to be a disappointment. As soon as I arrived, at 10:00 p.m., I called the front desk to report that my room (which was in great need of renovation) was terribly dark; while the concierge promised to deliver an additional lamp, that did not arrive until late the following evening (my final night) just as I was retiring. Much worse was the dirty orange-yellow water in the bathtub, which I also immediately reported. A maid and a lobby assistant both admitted to me that this was a constant complaint at the hotel; they were extremely apologetic (reading older reviews, I do see this dirty sink and bathtub water issue mentioned quite a few times - in earlier 2017, a few times in 2016, and even as far back as 2013). Management assured me that they were working on the problem, that it was a borehole issue, yet the water remained this shocking shade of rust and red dirt for my entire two-day stay. At nearly $200 a night, this is unacceptable; yet I was never offered a discount. I then went for a relaxing swim in the fairly small, pretty pool, only to discover that management had invited 30-40 teenage schoolgirls to use it; although this was a thoughtful gesture, there was little to no space for paying hotel guests to swim (other guests complained to me as they exited the pool), and the noise was so loud that I left the hotel for the afternoon for a quiet lunch elsewhere. As I was checking out my last morning, rushing to my next destination, the manager begged to show me that the bathtub water situation had been rectified, yet I had no time to see this - and how would it have helped at this point? Again, I was both surprised and saddened that I was not offered a discount. Also, at checkout I was charged an additional $100 for a lunch my second afternoon there, which was very late in coming to the table; the cashier was apologetic for her mistake. Indeed, the Windsor lobby, hallways, grounds are gorgeous and stately; the staff is very kind; yet the rooms are old and sadly neglected. This grand old hotel would do well to invest in accommodation renovations; polite excuses are no substitute. Over the past seven years, I have stayed in 13 different hotels in the Nairobi area, and I regret to say that the Windsor is far from the top of the list; I had so hoped that it would be.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

The Windsor...has a splendid setting around the 9th and 18th greens of the golf course. Rooms and facilities have an old world charm with strong colonial influences. Lunch, Drinks or Dinner on the terrace overlooking the well manicured golf course is a must in order to fully appreciate the surroundings.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Vijay K, General Manager at Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your appreciation of the Windsor experience.

Indeed the Victorian architecture and the beautiful lawns are appreciated by many. We recommend every guest to sample our outdoor restaurant - The Place at Windsor situated at the edge of our indigenous forest.

We look forward to hosting you again.