“Absolutely Brilliant”

Royal Mara Safari Lodge
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The location is prefect, accommodation is amazing and the staff can not do enough for you.

I don`t normally write reviews but this place is definitively worth shouting about.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark S

Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you want to have a personal safari, then this is the place to go.
There are 8 tents, how they can call them tents I will never know.
They were superb lodges as far as I was concerned finished to a very high standard.
We arrived and whilst getting our briefing from George we were interrupted by his phone (which was not an "I phone 4", he will understand that one).
We were quickly ushered into a jeep and flew just outside the camp where a leopard had been spotted - 45mins there and already seen our first cat - we were told later that these can be quite difficult to find.
How I can agree, I was about 20 foot away and still had problems seeing him in the bush he had got into for a rest.
From there on in it just carried on, after noon safari followed by an evening meal outside by a log fire, so great!
Breakfast in the open watching the hippo’s, crocks, baboons and many more.
We had three days there which I can only describe as the most memorable days of our lives, thanks George, and all the staff there.
You made “little momma” and I very happy.
Tip from me, keep it as it is, 8 Lodges allows a very high standard of attention to detail which made everyone feel special.
NB I was recommended this by (JT)Julius Tact Safaris. He was a star at arranging it for me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My wife and I were considering where we would go over the holidays, and every time we looked at a place we were thinking about going, we would constantly compare it to our experiences at the Royal Mara, and finally we realized we should just go back. We've been there multiple times now, and while the amazement of the wildlife is not as much (maybe we are getting jaded), we are always amazed at how Royal Mara can pull of such a great experience in the middle of nowhere. This time we flew into the airstrip just a few minutes away from the camp. Apparently to improve the experience even more, they decided to build their own airstrip. Talk about SERVICE. The food was as amazing as we remembered. How they can make such rich, creamy and flavorful soups without any cream whatsoever is beyond me. Our suite was as amazing as we remembered it, and they were so friendly and helpful with our 2 year old daughter, and so protective of her (making sure the local monkeys didn't get too close). Food, Service, Luxury, Experience. If you want these things at what is a really reasonable price for all these amenities and service, then there is really no choice, just go to Royal Mara

Room Tip: We like room #1. It is close to the Main Lodge, which is nice for lunch, and farthest from the rive...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank trippergb
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We booked a 3 day 2 night safari at the Royal Mara via Julius Thuvi of Julius T Safaris www.juliustsafaris.com and it was amazing. Julius was fantastic and I would definitely recommend you book via him (see separate review).

The Royal Mara was lovely. It's only a small camp, 8 tent/lodges which makes it friendly and personal. The tents/lodges are large and well appointed, the food great and the staff lovely. The camp is not fenced off and is right by the river so hippos and other animals wander around at night. You are escorted to and from your tent/lodge and feel safe at all times.

The game drives were amazing. Simon our driver was lovely and worked hard to find the animals for us and he did very well. We were lucky as we saw a leopard on all 3 days, many lions, a cheetah and many, many more animals. The animals are much more abundant in the Mara that in other parts of Kenya & Tanzania and because the drivers do not have to stick to roads/tracks you can get closer to the animals.

We definitely recommend the Royal Mara, so much so that we are planning to return.

Do take some warm clothes (long sleeves, long trousers & a fleece or 3 if like me you're always cold). The Mara is much cooler than other parts of Kenya due to it's altitude and it was very chilly on the morning game drives and again got chilly towards the end of the afternoon drives. Also take a packamac just in case like us you get heavy rain in the evenings.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank karenchip
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My girlfriend and I were in Nairobi for work and had a few extra days. We managed to get in touch with the Royal Mara the night before and then jumped through hoops to make it work. The experience was spectacular.

The service was great - helpful and friendly. The game drives were spectacular! It is important to note that the Royal Mara is in a private conservancy area and the experience is much better than in the government run parks. There are more animals, fewer people and no roads. And the "tents" fantastic - listening to the hippos root around at night is amazing. Great experience.

The food was fantastic given how far out in the bush we were. Simple, but delicious grilled meats, great vegetable soups and homemade bread rounded out hearty meals.

I hope I get another chance to come back...and see that leopard that we could never find!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple