“Old is not gold”

Ranked #2 of 144 Restaurants in Mombasa
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Tammarind is one of the oldest seafood restaurants in mombasa, the honest truth is it has the most amazing sea view in the coastal city the best view, but in terms of food your in for a big disappointment, the menu is way over priced,my dear friends its not worth it. Just come here for a drink, take selfies and bounce off.

2  Thank Abu S
labinaNairobi, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank your for yourfeedback. It is with great concern and disappointment that we read your review. We are extremely sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied with your recent dining experience and while we are glad that you appreciated the amazing sea view of the Old Town, we are most discouraged to learn that you found the food disappointing with the menu over priced. Seafood is an expensive food, and as such our prices are similar to other comparable seafood restaurants and we strive to offer good value and quality service and regret that was not your impression.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Great restaurant views amazing on over looking the water decor lovely service great food great been there four times every time I go to mombasa love the place. Also casino next door. Would recommend this restaurant . Get steaks. Thank you to all the staff for a lovely evening.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

I like to think that with over 125 restaurant reviews to my name I can tell fairly soon when a place is going to live up to it's reputation and with the Tamarind I could guess early on that at least the service was not exceptional.

We last dined here in about 1987 when we were still living in Kenya and throughout the intervening period it has consistently been rated at or near the top of places to eat in Mombasa so we were really looking forward to a much belated return meal here.

Greeted warmly by the staff late one lunchtime, seated at a table overlooking the water and given the menus, complete with prices to reflect 30yrs inflation! After choosing our dishes noticed certain things particularly the place settings. No side plates, missing cutlery and no centre bitz'n pieces eg pepper mill, toothpicks etc.

Anyway, the two mains we had chosen were the Indonesian inspired chilli crab that I was assured was spicy but not too hot. Asked for the crab to be de-shelled. My wife ordered king prawn piripiri. As she has a starch intolerance asked for the rice to be substituted with mixed vegetables. No problem and this change was duly noted on the order taken.

It took a while to be served but when it was brought to our table noticed straight away that the requested substitution had been ignored. There was the rice my wife could not eat! Sent back to get the mixed veg instead and when it came after ages guess what? The prawns were now cold! Never mind, she thought and ate them regardless. The sauce with this was quite nice.

My crab that I was assured to be spicy but not too hot turned out to be fiery and very peppery. The dressed crab was shredded into tiny slivers ending up more as a super thick sauce. I love crab and expected some decent chewy pieces but these I did not get. I did not enjoy this dish at all.

We shared a dessert of the three mixed creme brûlée and I do have to say that these little pots were very good but not enough to redeem the disappointment of the rest of the meal.

I am sure that had we chosen other dishes that it might have been another story but on today's showing, I'm afraid that we left not too happy at all, spending nearly 8000/- in all.

1  Thank bwanamdevu
Reviewed 17 September 2017

After being so many times in Carnivore restaurant Nairobi, I decided to try Tamarind Mombasa which is owned by the same people like Carnivore.
I got exactly what I have expected!Excellent seafood,nice staff and amazing atmosphere of the restaurant built in an Arab style.It's a pity they didn't have lobsters,but the prawns were excellent too.Apart of Carnivore Nairobi,Tamarind Mombasa is preparing the best Dawa in whole Kenya!

labinaNairobi, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Thank you for your great review and perfect rating. We are delighted that you chose to dine at Tamarind Mombasa after visiting Carnivore several time and that your meal met with your obviously high expectations. It is pleasing to hear that the seafood was excellent particularly the prawns, that the staff nice and the atmosphere amazing. I apologise that we were out of lobsters, however we hope you will return again when they are in stock. It's definitely a boost for us every time we hear such complimentary reviews such as this and we will be sure to let our dedicated team know what a positive impact they made on your dining experience. Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Went there with a friend. Had requested a table away from the band and they had reserved it.
Staff were very friendly and attentive.
Views was amazing and ambiance was very relaxing.
Food was spectacular. Ordered the fillet steak and was done just right. Pinacolada was made well.
Only wish they would return the lobster tank so we can choose our lobster.
Also T-bone steak was not available.
Otherwise had a great time and would surely come here again.

labinaNairobi, Director of Sales at Tamarind Mombasa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Thank you very much indeed for your most enthusiastic review and for the perfect rating. We are thrilled that you chose to dine with us and it is most pleasing to hear that the staff were very friendly and attentive and that the food was spectacular. We always aspire to give the best of food and service and we are delighted that we were successful and made such a positive impact on your dining experience.. Hopefully we can welcome you back again in the near future.