Guangming Hotel
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$202
US$175
US$96
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewslucky streetsmall supermarketwithin walking distancenice hotelembassysolanamattresslobbysubway
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed in a newly-renovated room on the 14th floor (1406), with a glass wall separating the bathroom from the main room. Internet is available in the room by cable; free wi-fi is available in the lobby; it mostly worked fine.  Bathroom amenities were good, standard.  Very little English spoken at front desk and in main dining area.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was, as others have commented, just o.k.  One pleasant surprise was plain-looking, small yellow muffins, which were outstanding - crunchy on the top and moist below.  The fresh fruit and canned variety were good.  There was yoghurt and a few cereal possibilities.  I may be just OCD, but I felt the need to wipe dry some of the dishes, fearing that the dishes had not been washed with filtered water.  May just be because I lived in India and other places where hygeine was unreliable. For more culinary variety, there's a side street/avenue with loads of pan Asian resturants - Koren, Thai, Japonese, Indian. Ramdomly, a German bakery, too. For those in need of Western comfort food, Starbucks, Fat Burger, Hard Rock, all within a 10-15 minute walk away.

Getting there from airport: beware taxis; if limited luggage, take airport express train, approximately 27rmb, or about $6 total. The airport express train will take you directly to San Yuan Qiao station. From there, you'll switch to the local subway train to Liang Ma Qiao station.  The journey requires two separate tickets: one for the Airport Express and one for the subway.  At the Liang Ma Qiao station, exit at the side facing the Lufthansa building and Kempinski Hotel. Cross the street. The Guangming is a short, 10-minute walk up Liang Ma Qiao Road, away from East Third Ring Road, and toward the Fourth Ring Road.

Guangming Hotel
No. 42, Liang Ma Qiao Road
Chaoyang District
Tel 010-84418888-6601/6602
Fax 010-64677682
www.guangming-hotel.com.cn

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly-renovated rooms, which they might try to give you anyway if you're a foreigner. When I arrived, the front desk told me there were no non-smoking rooms available, and said I could change later in my stay when a non-smoking room became available. But the room they put me in ended up to be fine. I'm allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke, but I didn't detect any in my room and opted not to move.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank diploconcierge
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had a fantastic trip to Beijing and the stay at the Guangming was excellent. We traveled with our 2 kids, age 2 and 6 and the area within the hotel grounds was great for them to run around, play football and use the really large play park out the back of the Hotel Villas. The nearby Mall and restaurants are also very good with the German Bakery and Luck Street Italian very nice indeed. We were luck to have a coach collect us from the Hotel for the trips to the tourist hot spots, but journeys were never very long. The hotel supermarket offer all the essentials and the fridge in the room was big enough to fill with all the snacks you keep for the kids.
All in all a great stay and recommend it. Friendly staff and clean rooms. Good value and very safe.

Room Tip: 410 was very large with a separate lounge and bar area. Good Clean AC and firm comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The hotel seems to be good value.

Upsides - location is close to street lined with restaurants (tried two and they were ok, not great but passable) and a mall (high end, high prices, supermarket, cinema). Hotel Gym is good. 10 min walk to Metro (line 10), onsite Japanese supermarket (small but has chocolate, noodles, beer, ice cream).

Downsides - hard bed, no real bar to speak of that I could find, weird light set up in bedroom.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Osborand
Reviewed 8 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Guangming hotel for 8 days. We had a very nice room. We were able to stay in a suite which was large and very modern. The hotel is immaculate and extremely modern. The bathroom lights were on a motion sensor (which caused a small problem at night when my wife got up and all the bathroom lights went on). The mattress was very firm, but I am used to a firm mattress and had no trouble sleeping comfortably. If someone has difficulty sleeping on a firm mattress, this could cause a problem.

The staff was very attentive. They spoke some English, but there was some communication problems. We paid $5 extra for the buffet breakfast and it was certainly worth this minimal cost. The restaurant was very nice. The buffet was a little different by American standards as there were many salads for breakfast and some Korean, Japanese and Chinese items on the buffet. There was cereal, hardboiled eggs and an omelette station as well.

The hotel was in the Chaoyoung district which is very close to the American Embassy. The were many restaurants and a nice shopping center within 2 blocks of the Hotel. There also was a small market on the ground floor of the hotel where you could by food and water (bottled water is recommended in Beijing). The hotel did supply 2 small bottles of water each day.

Although not related to the hotel I have to recommend two pizza restaurants near the hotel. One was called La Pizza and was located in the shopping center near the hotel. I am a pizza lover and try different placein New York, Rome and wherever I travel. The Neopolitan Margharita pizza at La Pizza was one of the best I have had anywhere. The other pizza I had was at the Kros-nest restaurant which is a little hard to find, bvut is near the embassy. This is a family pizza restaurant with good food and a really fun atmosphere. I would especially recommend it for families with children who may need a break from the Chinese restaurants.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and think it is a great value. (as a note I found C-trip to offer the best online rates).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mrenert
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Spacious rooms for a fantastic price. Modern but cosy style. The hotel openend recently so everything is clean and neat.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business