Guangming Hotel
New World Beijing Hotel(Beijing)
US$228
US$175
US$96
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewslucky streetsmall supermarketwithin walking distancenice hotelembassysolanamattresslobbysubway
Reviewed 16 March 2014

No wifi, except a variable service in the dining room.
No business centre, despite the promise of one.
No AC except a window. In noisy smog city, are you sure? Yet there's a controller on the wall. When I asked about it I learned that AC is centrally controlled in the basement.
Bed is the hardest slab I've ever encountered anywhere.

So it's disconnected, much too hot (even in March) and uncomfortable. The staff are pleasant but unable to help.

A report below said this was not a 4 star...agreed. It doesn't meet regular international standards of many 3 stars. There are many better options on this drag.

Room Tip: To choose a good room choose another venue
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank J M
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this was among my least favorite. Rooms were musty and need to be aired out. Beds are very hard (ok if you prefer this). Furniture and carpets are VERY worn. Mirror on the wall was shattered in the first room they assigned me to. The telephone also did not work. Room was not ready when I checked in although I requested early check in and they were not at full occupancy. I also asked for non-smoking and the first room reeked of smoke. I was then switched to a real non-smoking room. Gym did not have napkins or tissues. Bathroom adjacent to the gym did not have toilet paper in any of the stalls!!!!Towels in the rooms were old and worn. Staff did not understand how to read my CLEARLY valid visa. Finally, there was a long hair cooked into my omelette at breakfast.
I would NOT recommend a stay here when there are other great hotels very nearby (see my other Beijing reviews). Only stay here if you are desperately trying to save money or plan to spend VERY little time in the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank prettykey
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights for a business trip. The staff were very helpful and attentive. Not all can speak English well however there were no problems getting one who could. Room size was adequate with excellent room amenities. Free LAN internet was available. Internet speed not that great thus making video calls not so smooth but adequate for general purposes.

There is a nearby street within short walking distance lined with a number of restaurants serving international cuisines. Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed in a newly-renovated room on the 14th floor (1406), with a glass wall separating the bathroom from the main room. Internet is available in the room by cable; free wi-fi is available in the lobby; it mostly worked fine.  Bathroom amenities were good, standard.  Very little English spoken at front desk and in main dining area.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was, as others have commented, just o.k.  One pleasant surprise was plain-looking, small yellow muffins, which were outstanding - crunchy on the top and moist below.  The fresh fruit and canned variety were good.  There was yoghurt and a few cereal possibilities.  I may be just OCD, but I felt the need to wipe dry some of the dishes, fearing that the dishes had not been washed with filtered water.  May just be because I lived in India and other places where hygeine was unreliable. For more culinary variety, there's a side street/avenue with loads of pan Asian resturants - Koren, Thai, Japonese, Indian. Ramdomly, a German bakery, too. For those in need of Western comfort food, Starbucks, Fat Burger, Hard Rock, all within a 10-15 minute walk away.

Getting there from airport: beware taxis; if limited luggage, take airport express train, approximately 27rmb, or about $6 total. The airport express train will take you directly to San Yuan Qiao station. From there, you'll switch to the local subway train to Liang Ma Qiao station.  The journey requires two separate tickets: one for the Airport Express and one for the subway.  At the Liang Ma Qiao station, exit at the side facing the Lufthansa building and Kempinski Hotel. Cross the street. The Guangming is a short, 10-minute walk up Liang Ma Qiao Road, away from East Third Ring Road, and toward the Fourth Ring Road.

Guangming Hotel
No. 42, Liang Ma Qiao Road
Chaoyang District
Tel 010-84418888-6601/6602
Fax 010-64677682
www.guangming-hotel.com.cn

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly-renovated rooms, which they might try to give you anyway if you're a foreigner. When I arrived, the front desk told me there were no non-smoking rooms available, and said I could change later in my stay when a non-smoking room became available. But the room they put me in ended up to be fine. I'm allergic to the smell of cigarette smoke, but I didn't detect any in my room and opted not to move.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank diploconcierge
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had a fantastic trip to Beijing and the stay at the Guangming was excellent. We traveled with our 2 kids, age 2 and 6 and the area within the hotel grounds was great for them to run around, play football and use the really large play park out the back of the Hotel Villas. The nearby Mall and restaurants are also very good with the German Bakery and Luck Street Italian very nice indeed. We were luck to have a coach collect us from the Hotel for the trips to the tourist hot spots, but journeys were never very long. The hotel supermarket offer all the essentials and the fridge in the room was big enough to fill with all the snacks you keep for the kids.
All in all a great stay and recommend it. Friendly staff and clean rooms. Good value and very safe.

Room Tip: 410 was very large with a separate lounge and bar area. Good Clean AC and firm comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family