Empark Grand Hotel
US$451
US$310
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewssinorama tourcomfortable roomsstar hotelthree nightschinese foodshopping mallnice hotelchinaelevatorkfc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed here the first three nights of a Sinorama tour of China, and really enjoyed the place. The rooms were great, we had a fantastic view, and the breakfast buffets were really good, except for the bitter coffee.
Sinorama met us at the airport and took us to the hotel. The first evening was on our own, and here's where I wish I had known what we would discover the second night.
We were told that the hotel only had three restaurants, technically true...
One was the buffet where we would have breakfast, and it was a pretty pricy Chinese buffet that was put to shame by the megabuffets back home! The second and third were a Chinese grill (pick your fish from the tank) and a Japanese sushi place, both also expensive.
We ran into most of the people from our tour at the KFC that we had all seen next door as we pulled up. It was different from US KFC's, and not bad, but not the best way to start off your China tour.
What we found the second night was that one of the hotels elevators had a down option from the lobby. Down to the basement, or to 2B, which led to an underground mall!
A short distance away was a whole group of small Chinese places that would have been wonderful for that first meal.
Also, just a few feet away was an entrance to a huge Walmart, with a huge selection of food. It was entirely a Chinese store, with many unfamiliar but interesting things. It was full of twists and turns, with more store found every time we thought that we'd seen it all. It also had two more levels above it.
All in all, the "secret underground mall" (at least no one ever told us about it!) was a special treat that intrigued us, and added another dimension to an already very nice hotel.
One issue that we had with EVERY Chinese hotel on this trip was the way that the bed was made, with a bottom sheet (not fitted) and a very thick cover that was too heavy to use comfortably. We quickly solved it by stripping the bed and reversing them. The heavy cover added a bit more padding to the bed, and the bottom sheet was more to our liking. I had the feeling that we probably confused the hotel maids, but it made our nights much more comfortable!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2016

This hotel in Beijing was very nice, all decorated for Christmas. Beautiful lobby area.
The room was big and comfortable with a very spacious bathroom. Bed and pillows were really nice. We were told that although the hotels in China have smoking as well as non-smoking rooms, they cannot guarantee that someone did not smoke in the room before. We lucked out, as our room did not smell of smoke.There is a whole shopping mall with many small restaurants under this hotel which we found by chance. The is also a KFC and a mini-mart in the premises.
On the second floor they have several banquet rooms, a spa and a large restaurant.
The only draw back for us was that there were not many places to walk to from this hotel, although is you count the mall underneath the hotel, it was not so bad.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are pretty nice and big from what others in our group were saying. Quiet...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2016

You enter in the lobby and you are greeted with tall ceilings and elegance. You go into the room and you are greeted with a damp moldy (dank) smell and faint odor of urine in the bathroom. The hotel has signs stating no smoking but at night the odor of smoke infiltrates your room. When we called to complain about the smoke odor they said "get another room" and 10 minutes later a knock on the door where they brought a bottle of air freshener. Smoking is allowed just about everywhere in China but when you have signs that state "no smoking" and you can smell cigarette smoke in the hallway and in the room, don't you think you would enforce the rules?
Also, the AC did not work too well. It was very warm in the room. They have duvets on the bed so bring a sarong or thin sheet if you like a light cover.
Breakfast was delicious and lots of variety, both chinese and western.
Wifi was very good.

Stayed: August 2016
Reviewed 27 September 2016

I'm a bit mystified by some of the reviews here and wonder what people's expectations are (disclosure: I am staying for business and did not book so I can't comment on value for money). I am on the 16th floor in the executive area. The room is probably the most spacious and well-appointed hotel room I have had anywhere in a long time. I'm enjoying some lovely Chinese tea from the room as I write.

The rooms are certainly aging and yes there are signs of wear, but you would have to be a princess to complain. Who the hell bends down to take a photo of groute under a sink? Everything in the room is very comfortable, impeccably clean and hygienic. The rooms do not smell of smoke to me, nor the rest of the hotel. The room is quiet, the hotel is a nice temperature. The bed is pretty damn firm but I adjusted and slept well.

I enjoyed breakfast in the executive lounge. Lovely Chinese dishes, lots of fresh vegetables, acceptable coffee from a machine. The western bits of the breakfast are uninspired but I'm in China, why would I want western food?

I can't comment on location as I am simply here for work, not sightseeing.

Overall, provided the cost seems right to you, I see no cause for complaint and plenty to like about this hotel. For full-blown 5-star western hotel service and decor, I am sure there are plenty of options in Beijing.

Room Tip: 16th floor is executive level with nice meeting room, gym and private lounge for breakfast
Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2016

This hotel is for smokers only. If you don't want to die with cancer, smoke filled rooms and hallways, all your clothes stinking like an ashtray, same to your hair, stay away! How about the inch thick mold and algae growing in the shower stall and sink rims ? Sticky substance dripped all over the marble bathroom floor and sink counter? Hairs in bathtub (not mine!)? To top it all off, there was NO AIR CONDITIONING. The fan worked but it wouldn't get cold - stayed at 24F which was tolerable but I wasn't able to sleep at night dripping sweat . No flat sheet provided so you have to cover with the plain down comforter that makes you sweat all night. Hard chinese pillows and mattress. Paper thin towels. The breakfast buffet was great though, and the staff tried to move us to a cleaner room as the first one we were placed in was inhabitable due to the smoke and haze.

Room Tip: Just go elsewhere this is not a place to rest or enjoy
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends