“Great Business Hotel-Value+Service”

Holiday Inn Central Plaza
Ranked #100 of 6,599 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I've stayed at this hotel before, and returned because the Executive club floor is a great value. For those of us who grew up in the U.S., the Holiday Inn is not known as a 4 or 5 start hotel, but they are a completely different story in Asia. First, understand that these hotels are not generally owned by Holiday Inn, the corporate entity. The owners of each property have a licensing agreement for the Holiday Inn name--which is kind of the bad news as it leaves lots of room for differences in levels of quality, and I'm not sure who puts the start ratings on these properties (see my review of the dismal Holiday Inn Temple of Heaven). This is a 4 star hotel, but the management clearly understands the concept of service and is committed to providing an American business traveler what they need.

Here are the little things that are nice. Always a doorman to greet you and take charge of the baggage. Very efficient front desk staff that has your paperwork ready and recognizes that you are a returning guest...simple nice gesture. Room has adequate lighting, a good desk and chair, free wifi, tea and coffee, a full length mirror, a magnifying mirror in the bathroom, and rain shower. One of my favorite things...a choice of pillow types. The shower walls could use a workout with a can of Comet to meet my standards, but the grunge was in a place you would not touch....just wish I hadn't seen it!

The executive club floor has everything you need from WIFI to a meeting room, adequate breakfast and a nice cocktail hour with a variety of food...and NO SMOKING allowed! The staff in this room is really well trained to assist you with every business need you might have, plus they deliver this service with such enthusiasm. I needed help tracking down a fed-x package and TWO women went to work with abandon doing everything from looking up the tracking information to phoning Beijing Fed-x...something that would have been interesting for me to attempt with my limited command of Chinese language.

Checkout is fast and efficient in this club room as you would expect. I would compare their service to the level we've received in the 5-star China World at which we've stayed many times.

Breakfast buffet is also great. Cooked to order food is available if you prefer. On our last day we lost track of time and arrived right as they were breaking down the buffet, but they graciously helped us fill our plates with food we wanted and didn't rush us out or say - NO, we are closed. Again, great customer-centered service. There is a nice restaurant on the property called Zen. We had every intention of eating there one night, but after a beer and some nibbles in the executive club just headed to bed!

There is a great fitness center, and of all things...a golf driving range! Kind of a strange thing to find at an inner city hotel...guess some entrepreneur realized that it would be a nice thing for a bored business traveler!

There is probably only one drawback...location. It's a big out of the way, but taxi rides are still cheap by comparison to other major cities.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
natalie_niu, Distribution Manager at Holiday Inn Central Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear IncredibleAsia,

Firstly, we are delighted to see you come back to the holiday inn. It is really a great pleasure to hear the truest voice from our honored guest. We have been committing to provide our guests with a most comfortable and relaxed experience of staying at a hotel. We have been making every effort to provide guests with a 5 star level service. Delightfully, our services exceeded your expectation and made you have a feeling of value-for-money.

Fairly speaking, the Executive Floor at our hotel is really a great value with the benefits ranging from complimentary food & beverage services, business & leisure facilities to club lounge services. Moreover, every returning guest could be well recognized by the front-desk staff and acquire enthusiastic services.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed for two nights in this hotel when I was on a business trip, I must say that there is not a single point that I liked about the hotel. First of all the location is really awful, you have to take a taxi to go to city centre and if the hotel fix the taxi you are done, it is too expensive.
The rooms were shabby and certainly not clean. They turn off the main coridor lights in the evenings which is quite unusual.
The staff barely speaks English, we had hard times to describe them very basic things (such as we asked for tea in the restaurant and they had no clue on what so ever).
The most annoying thing was; I checked in at 21:20 on Friday evening and the restaurants were closed, I had to order room service. The meal I ordered has arrived and after I had just a few bites room service called to say that I need to pay for the meal. I had no RMB on hand and told them that I will pay in the morning. They said ok, hung up and after several minutes called back again asking for the money. It was extremely annoying; first of all I was staying for two nights and I could pay when cheking out, secondly they could not even wait until I actually eat the meal.
There are great hotels in the city of Beijing, don't miss the opportunity!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DSS_Willow

Dear Nature_Smile,

Firstly, please accept our utmost sincere apologies to you for your unsatisfying experience at our hotel.

The hotel is located at Guanganmen commercial and civic area. It is about ten-minute drive from the West/Sorth Railway Station and 40 minutes from the Capital Airport.

We feel it so sorry that one of our staff did not meet your need due to poor oral English ability. We are bound to strengthen English training for our staff, especially waiters and waitress. As for room service, according to our hotel policy, meal fee could be charged to the room if there is already deposit for your room charge at our hotel upon your arrival. It is really a great regret that we forced you to charge the bill without putting ourselves in your shoes.

All in all, we believe it is all about inefficient communication which could totally be avoided next time. We sincerely hope that another opportunity could be given to better your impression on the hotel. We will definitely make a difference.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

I had a very nice stay at this hotel, although it was a bit difficult to find for the Taxi drivers. They weren't familiar with the location.

I arrived at 9:30 at Beijing and managed to catch the airport express and the subway to the proper station to get off at. Once there, I tried to hire a taxi/cab to find the place. The taxi driver wasn't sure where it was so we drove slowly and looked around. Luckily, I had a map. I recommend a big map in Chinese with a big star if you're going.

The hotel itself was impressive. Very clean, very well kept. Being IHG Platinum, they had me go to the top since they'd had everything arranged already. This was very nice. There was a plate of fruit in the room waiting for me with a handwritten welcome. However, I was starving, so ordered room service. The food arrived quickly and was very tasty, albeit more expensive than what you'd expect in China.

The room was comfortable, beds were nice, good shower and washing facilities. No complaints.

Breakfast was excellent. Definitely recommend the breakfast at the Salt and Pepper restaurant over the lounge area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank shuom

Dear shuom,

Thank for so much for choosing the Holiday Inn Central Plaza Beijing during your stay at Beijing. We are so delighted to find that the hotel left a good impression on you by means of its facilities, sanitation, operation, and room service. With regard to the benefit of being IHG Platinum members, it is our pleasure to upgrade room for you when it is available and to prepare a handwritten welcome letter for our dear guest.

Besides, we feel sorry about taking your time to get to our hotel from the airport. The hotel is located at the intersection with Nanxiange Street, Guanganmen, Xicheng District. If the taxi driver is not clear about the hotel address, you could contact with our Concierge to acquire correct address and driving directions through dialing 86-10-83970088. Other, you could just show Chinese taxi driver the following address in Chinese(机场高速行至东四环-南二环-西二环白纸坊桥出口,右转向东行至菜园街路口(右转后第二个红绿灯),左转向北500米). I am sure that you can arrive at the Holiday Inn Central Plaza easily with this Chinese address.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

We wanted to stay at a hotel where we knew we could just relax and not worry about anything after having been out wandering the streets of Beijing all day.
It was clean, the room was decently big, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I would say the only downside is that it is a little ways away from the main tourist attractions and while the metro is super cheap, there isn't a stop nearby. Sill, taxis weren't very expensive although they were often hard to catch.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear iluv2pla10is,

Great to hear your voice about our hotel here! We would feel proud of ourselves when knowing that you felt relaxed and comfortable staying at our hotel. It is our great pleasure to get your satisfaction with our hotel in the areas, such as favorable sanitation, good room performance as well as the sensitivity and helpfulness of our staff to your needs.

On the other side, we feel sorry about our not-so-convenient geographic location. As a matter of fact, it is only about 10-minites drive from the hotel to Line2 or Line4 Subway Station by which you could nearly get to all the main tourist attractions in Beijing. For your information, you could get free map of Beijing from the Concierge at the left hand of main door. Besides, to save your time, our doorman could help to find a taxi for you before your leaving.

Thank you so much for your stay at our hotel and wish you back to our hotel soon!

Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while touring Beijing. It was a very nice hotel; very clean, large rooms and comfortable beds. The bathroom had nice towels, and they also gave you tooth brushes, toothpaste, razors and shaving cream, along with the normal shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. The staff was very helpful with transportation information and there is a currency exchange machine in the lobby, and our rate included a free breakfast buffet, which was great. Although the hotel is a bit out of the way of the tourist areas, we used taxis, the buses, and the subway to get around. Because of the Beijing traffic, it took a long time to get places by bus or taxi, but I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends