“Used to be Great.. now a sad poorly served venue”
Review of Director's Club

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Director's Club
Reviewed 2 July 2015

As I live in Tai Koo, (where this venue resides) I have been there over the years and really enjoyed the comfortable reclining seats, the at seat service and the fact this private cinema only had 16 seats with no one getting in your way.

I went again the other - the staff did not tell me about the seat controls or the button to press to order food, nor (after they took my order) did they deliver my food until I asked them almost an hour into the movie as to where my hot dog had gone?

There are three staff serving two cinema screens of 32 seats and when I had an intermission break to the wash room facilities, all three staff seemed more engaged on eating their own meals and not really engaged in what their jobs were.

For $200 HKD per ticket the idea of paying double the price of a movie for SERVICE and ENJOYMENT seems to be wasted on this cinema venue.

4  Thank Callan A

Reviewed 22 December 2014

I was invited to be part of the surprise engagement party for a friend. The guy decided to hold it here - friends of both the guy and the girl were invited to watch a movie here, the couple arrived late so that they couldn't discover the rest of the audience were people they knew, then in the middle of the movie it switched to play a video the guy prepared asking her to marry him. Even though we didn't finish the movie here, we experienced the service - service staff would come to you to ask for your choice of food and drink, and bring them to you later. The seats were comfy and large enough. Being here is a way to enjoy a movie you like (apart from watching it at home, if you have good equipment). It's not cheap, but once in a while you may spoil yourself.

1  Thank wamysdottir
Reviewed 19 September 2011

How many times do you get the chance to sit in your own little treat of a 16 seat cinema with call-button waiter-service, unlimited drinks and popcorn, and a foot-rest for your sofa-sized command chair? Indeed, Spielberg might have this type of cinema on his private yacht, but you can this and more for about $23 (USD) right in the middle of Hong Kong, and not feel sea-sick! It's the only 16 seat seat public cinema that I know of in the World, and for any movie enthusiast it is a TOTAL treat!
Not to be missed and located right in the heart of Hong Kong island, just down from the wonderful The East Hotel and its incredibly cool view-over-the-city 32nd floor lounge-bar Sugar. If you want a really cool night out in this amazing city: a movie at The Director's Club, followed by Sugar for cocktails over the city.
(reservations: strongly recommended for evenings show-times - call or email them direct as they get right back to you; and it's right beside a MTR station!)

1  Thank Irishman2go
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We learned of the Director's Club from Tripadvisor. Admittedly, it is a movie theatre, but a great break from the busy city and crowds. We saw "Bolt" and relaxed in the very plush surroundings (just 16 seats, comfortable sofas, and personal service).
A wonderful break if you are spending more than a few days in Hong Kong and just need some "down time". Sandwiches, unlimited soft, drinks, and popcorn. From Kowloon, take the MTR train directly to the Theatre (Tai Koo station). We don't have anything like this in Seattle (the train or the theatre)

Richard and Arleigh Stein

3  Thank Arleigh_Gets_Around
Reviewed 26 February 2008

My husband and I went there in Feb 21st, 2008 on a weekday to watch Sweeney Todd. We were the only patrons there. For the price of HK$175 (US$22.55) each, we had the entire theatre all to ourselves. Even if it were full, it wouldn't be crowded. It seats a total of 16 people. It was a good break from the crowd in one of the most crowded cities in the world.

The price includes the following:
- Movie ticket;
- Unlimited soft drinks, tea, coffee, and popcorn (caramel or butter);
- One serving of hot dog;
- wonderful customer service.

There was a full bar there with a collection of wine, also.

The sound and picture quality were good, seats were huge and comfortable. They even provided a footstool for each seat. There were call buttons on both sides of a given seat, so one can order a refill of the drinks or popcorn--though the size of their drinks and popcorn is a hearty portion that we did not need to refill, we actually have some left over.

The customer service was great, we first ordered the tickets through Cityline's phone service (more about this later), and they gave us the wrong seats, we e-mailed Director's Club and they phoned us within 1 minute after the e-mail was sent! They changed our seats for us, and we had a great time during the movie!

The most romantic way to get there from Kowloon:
Take a ferry ride from Hung Hum Pier across the Victoria Bay to North Point Pier, take a taxi (HK$20, about US$3) to Tai Koo Shing.
Of course, the fastest way would be to take MTR (the wonderful, ever expanding train system) to Tai Koo Station.

How to get a hold of Director's Club:
Their phone service was inactive the entire morning when I was trying to fix a reservation problem (detail below), but when I e-mailed them, they phoned me within one minute, literally.

Purchase tickets online
Director's Club

CityLine.com (Extra HK$10): http://www.cityline.com/chi/movie/byCinemaStep2.jsp?venueKey=11

A note of caution about City Line:
Do not use it. You can order the tickets directly from the threatre's website.
1. If you use a visa or master card that was not issued in Hong Kong, the online system would not recognise it. So we had to use the phone system. The second time we used our American Express card and there was no problems at all.
2. The phone system does not recognise the special set up of this threatre, so when we ordered "the middle seats of the middle rolls" it placed us in the back right corner... and the Cityline customer service refused to change or cancel our reservation -- so we could re-do it online with our AE card. It was not resolved until we got a hold of the Director's Club.

10  Thank Vineta