“Pays to be a good human”
Review of Paris Guesthouse

Paris Guesthouse
Ranked #117 of 162 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 July 2015

Look, it's the Chung King Mansion, did you not read about it? Not for the fair hearted. Do stay on your toes. With that said, I stayed here for a month and quickly found a great "group" from Nepal that ran a few of the restaurants, food vendors and some of the guesthouses. If they didn't have it, they found it.

They were my friends by month end. Don't be a stupid tourist. Treat people with kindness and they will do the same.

I stayed at Paris for 3 weeks I think. Much love

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 March 2015

Check in and check out was pretty quick. The staff is very efficient. I have expected the worse for this room but unfortunately I have booked it with no refundable. For a family room, it is very small for 6 pax including the children. I had to book another double room. The smallest room I've ever stay. We have to keep our luggage under the bed.
Wifi is great. It is pretty safe though many touts at the ground floor. Waiting time for the elevator is acceptable. The longest waiting time is around 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Family room will have window unlike double room some of them without any window.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2014

I booked a room for four nights through www.asiarooms.com and had my reservation confirmed with a booking number and everything. However, when I arrived at Paris Guesthouse, they said they didn't receive any reservation from ASIAROOMS. Ok, maybe it's Asiarooms fault then that something when wrong with my booking. So they didn't have a room for the four nights I had booked, they only had a room for two nights. But the said that they would help me to find a room at some other guesthouse for the remaining two nights. Well, they promissed, but they didn't do it..... I had to go myself and find a place to stay for the other two nights by my own. As the regular rooms were all occupied, they gave me an "upgrade" to the family room which is a little bit bigger.
Well, this room itself is very very old and worn, has been refurbished the last time maybe in the 70's. The Bathroom had totally rusty parts, the cover of fan was hanging down dusty from the ceiling with loose screws, there is a refrigerator in the room, but no power outlet to plug it in !!! So what for is the refrigerator good then if it can't be plugged to the electricity ? Is it meant to be a "decoration" for the room ? Paris Guesthouse advertises that they have free coffe for guests. At my arrival I noticed that the instant coffe jar was empty and mentioned it to the manager. He said that the next morning they would put a new jar of instant coffee there. Well, they didn't do it until I checked out from Paris Guesthouse......so I didn't get any "free coffee". The only positive thing I can say about this Guesthouse is that Wifi is really good. The bed was quite comfortable too. So If you are on a small budget and only need a place to sleep and wifi, you may stay in this place, but it's sure not the right place to stay in Hong Kong for a holiday......

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2014

At first, it is kind of intimidating to walk through the entrance of Chungking Mansion because it is full of people trying to sell you suits, watches, bags, rooms, SIM-cards and other "something specials". It is not easy to quickly get an escalator to the 7th floor, because they are slow, there are loads of people waiting to get in, and there are numerous floors.

Anyway, the GH seems to be safe with a code to be entered at the entrance gate, and a key card lock to the second entrance gate. The staff is very friendly and skilled in terms of languages. The GH is very dark since it is located in the interior of the building, with no outer walls (although, I'm not sure about that because I haven't seen all the rooms). We stayed 4 nights during Chinese New Year, the double room was incredibly small (the bed made up roughly 50% of the total floor space), but very tidy and clean.

There were no windows so we kind of messed up our day- / night-rhythm. There's a safe, a comfortable bed, hot shower, and a smelly fridge. Starting with around 08:00 am, we heard loud noises from the neighboring apartment / office / hostel which did not stop until 10 p.m. or so. If you want to spend a lot of time relaxing in your room, better not book at Singh Guesthouse. If you want good value for money, a clean room to mainly sleep in, go with it. It is perfectly located in Tsim Sha Tsui and only a few minutes walk away from star ferry terminal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Treppensteiger
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel is slap bang in the center of the shopping district on Nathan Road. I was backpacking around Asia and for less than $50 a night you get a small room and toilet/shower and free wifi. You could stay across the road and pay $450 a night but why would you? I can only see young people, backpackers or those strapped for cash staying here. It is in a shady building and you have to find the right elevator to go up - OK so this is an issue the first time you arrive especially with seedy indians trying to sell you drugs and boom boom or a room cheaper than yours but once you get to the floor its like any guesthouse.

You get the keys, a towel and the wifi password. All the bad reviews here are from people that think $50 in Hong Kong is the same as $50 in Thailand. Money goes no where in HK hence the tiny room and shower which requires you to sit on the toilet.

I would stay here again, 5 minute walk to the ferry terminal, all the bars and shops on Nathan Road, 7-Eleven is round the corner for the late night snacks and the wifi was quick and the room has A/C

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo