“Good but needs renovation”
Review of Conrad Hong Kong

Conrad Hong Kong
Ranked #20 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I have stayed at the Conrad many times over the last 10 years and except for one minor renovation a few years back, it has been the same and as others have noted, the rooms are getting a little "tired". The service is excellent and the standard has been maintained but you can see wear and tear in the room. I had two stays in March and although I have Diamond status with HHonors, I was not upgraded to the Executive Floors because I requested a smoking room and it was all non-smoking rooms up there. However, I have stayed in some larger rooms on the regular floors but all I received was a peak view regular room (without the walk-in closet) which was disappointing. I did received access to the Executive Lounge and the staff there is great, as always, and the food was good, not great. I do feel that at the rates the Conrad charged, they need to make some investments in the guest rooms.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank wil888

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I booked the Conrad on a cash + points stay for 2 nights. We took the Airport Express to Hong Kong and then transferred to the complimentary shuttle. It took awhile to reach the hotel because of the evening traffic. Those that do not have much luggage, I recommend taking the MTR to the hotel from Hong Kong station.

As a Hilton Diamond member, we were able to check in at the executive level on the 59th floor. We were given a upgraded room on the 61 floor but a view of the peak. The room is very spacious, one of the largest I’ve seen in Hong Kong. We tried the complimentary breakfast in the café and found it quite delicious. The local Chinese food is plentiful and authentic. My other half commented that it was better than the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore, which she was paying over $50.

In regards to location, the Conrad sits on top of a high-end mall and below the Admirality MTR station. One can access the top restaurants or activities within a few subway stops.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here at the Conrad. As a Platinum SPG and Diamond Hilton member, I’m pretty picky in regards to hotels. I do feel that the Conrad surpassed my expectations and would be happy to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank albutt27
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We just got back as a family (with our 2 year old) from our first visit to HK and had a great time. We stayed four nights at the Conrad as a diamond, staying on points. On check-in we were put in a peak view room on an executive floor: actually perfect for us (bar a suite!), since we preferred the peak view, especially since it was very foggy and got the harbour view from the lounge. After checking in, we were taken to our room, and a pot of lovely tea quickly followed, then fruit (replenished frequently) and chocolates in a dim sum basket. In the evening, two conrad bears were forthcoming, but no more (thankfully -- we're already swamped by stuffed animals!).

We liked the conrad a great deal. The location is v. convenient on the island, with great access for buses and the subway. The staff are v. good, and the hotel is pretty child friendly. The lounge is fairly small but with a fantastic view of the harbour. In between designated times I think there are few snack/drink options. The afternoon tea had lovely scones, jam and clotted cream. The other food offerings were fine, if nothing too exciting and the food in HK is so good that it would be a crime to miss out too many meals just to be in the lounge. However, it is useful for snacks for the little one, if they didn't fancy dinner or want some milk etc. The service is rather formal with 'butler style', which is nice, but as a family, and as we don't drink, informal self-serve would have been fine and we wouldn't have felt if we were troubling the staff for half a glass of milk or a straw (not that any displeasure was shown at all).

We breakfasted every day in the restaurant downstairs, since there was more room to stretch. Other than sunday morning when it was heaving it was not too crowded. Breakfast options were varied: chinese, japanese, middle-eastern and western options, with an excellent egg station. Quality was very good for a buffet but not world-class -- the cavalieri in rome was superior for the most part.

There is a small pool (a little on the chilly side) outdoors, as well as a gym which we didn't check out.

One evening we dined at the golden leaf (after an exhausting day at ocean park, and we didn't want to venture out). A lovely room, and far better value than the very over-priced burger that we had otherwise contemplated. I especially recommend the baked whelk with diced abalone, seafood and chicken, which was a unique and utterly delicious dish.

I would not hesitate to stay again, and preferably on points, since it's quite pricey!

Room Tip: peak views are just as lovely as harbour view, and offer good value.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Its definitely a 5 star hotel but I'd say a probably a low 5 star hotel, I think its almost about time that Conrad undergo some form of refurbishment to freshen up the hotel. But being HongKong, there are much better 5 star hotels at that kind of price or maybe a tiny bit more. So overall its not bad, but nothing really to shout about and being in finance, its kind of on the border of the financial center. So I have to take the MTR or cab to Central where most of the financial institutions are.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Had previously been staying at the JW Marriott next door but friends raved about the Conrad so I decided to stay there during my last business trip. Hotel was good but not exceptionally so. Room size was decent with a pleasant view. You get a teddy bear and a rubber duck which I did not take home. As others have mentioned, the breakfast buffet is average. The thing that really annoyed me was the computer station at the business center. I had opted not to bring my laptop since it was an 20-hour stay but found myself having to use the computer unexpectedly. The computer station was a tiny cubicle in the lobby. For 2 hours while trying to concentrate on preparing an urgent presentation I had to contend with loud voices all around and singing from the lounge. To add insult to injury, the business center charges were not exactly low. If you're planning on staying here on a business trip, just make sure you bring your own laptop.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business