“Poor Service”

Silka Seaview Hotel
Ranked #185 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 September 2009

The Doorsett Seaview Hotel location is good for its price. However the service at this hotel is very POOR. During my two nights at the Dorsett the staff never smiled except for one of the housekeepers. In general the staffs make you feel unwelcome at this hotel.
Prior to my arrival I requested that the hotel send me an email with the address of the hotel to show to my taxi driver. I had to call the hotel two times and send two emails before they sent me the address.
Upon my arrival the staff were unable to provide me with a non-smoking king sized bed as requested in my reservation. I even called the hotel one day in advance to confirm my special requests. Instead I was given a smoking room with twin beds. Whatever happened to special requests????
The breakfast on the 19th floor is acceptable considering it only costs HK$50. The coffee tasted a little old.
The rooms are very small but are in good conditions. The housekeeping and engineering department do a great job maintaining these rooms considering that this hotel is not new.
The Dorsett requires guests to come to the lobby and sign a piece of paper before they will allow you to use the Internet. I asked the staff to go ahead and charge it to my room because they had my credit card on file. They refused my request and said I needed to come to the lobby. After hearing their policy I asked them to have a bellman bring sales invoice to my room to sign. The reception staff said it was impossible to do this request. I ended up going to another hotel and using their Internet for free in the lobby bar.
On my next to Hong Kong I will select a different hotel due to the poor service I received from the staff. The management needs to spend a little more time on customer service training in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 September 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and we are more than satisfy with the stay. It is true as many reviews we read about the tiny room so not going to elaborate any further on this. The room has everything we needed, daily cleaned room, great shower, electric kettle, safe box but no wardrobe (minus point for this). I guessed the floor we stayed had been recently renovated (because the room photos we saw here are different than the room we had). Another thing i would like to point out is the the bathroom sliding glass door. Even it is not a 'see through' glass, but we can still see some shadows of those inside the bathroom. I am traveling with my partner so we are fine with that but a point to note for those traveling with friends. The hotel staffs were polite (speaking relatively good English) and check in/out process is fast. This hotel is at a very good location and easily to locate from the MTR Yau Ma Tei, which is just 5 - 8 minutes walk from hotel. We even used the MTR all the way from the airport to the hotel without asking any locals (so i guessed it is not hard for me to find this hotel). A lot of good Chinese eateries nearby the hotel. There is McDonalds too nearby and right across the road of the hotel, there is a famous dessert shop (Hui Lau Shan - famous for its mango based dessert). Temple street market and Jade street market are just beside the hotel. Ladies street market, Sport wear street market are just about 12 - 15 minutes walk along the Nathan Road. We never take the breakfast at the hotel (so no comment on that) as there are too many choices outside the hotel. Definitely worth every cents we paid for.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2009

our travel agent booked us to this hotel without idea about the hotel.

as we check-in, we already noticed the rudeness of front desk....he kept on entertaining people who speak with the same language he spoke....considering that we are the 1st one who approach the front desk, he didin't bother to say politely to wait for a while...

now, this is the most rude attitude they did to us. we we're at the lobby of the hotel and we are waiting for some of our group there's this one hotel staff who is guarding the luggage of some hotel guests....i dont understand why the hotel staff kept on looking on us, from that gestures i can say that he's trying to say that we will do something not good to the luggages that he's guarding.

is that how you treat guest's?

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2009

This Hotel is well located and you stepped outside of it right into the markets. The night life outside of the hotel was vibrant and alive. I loved Hong Kong and would recommend visiting to anyone. My review has been made bias though because I had the company of my beautiful girlfriend and If I had been on my own my enjoyment of staying here might not have been as great. But even on my own I think this hotel would have given me a good place to sleep and have as a place to travel from everyday to go and explore the city. There are tube stations close by and if you have the energy you can walk to lots of places of interest. Right outside a few steps away you have the Jade market. And if you go down at night you walk straight into the night market. One word to sum up my time spent in Hong Kong is Wahaha :D Sorry you wouldn't understand unless you were there x

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The tour actually stated that we would be off to Dorsett Far East Hotel but since the whole place had been booked [that's what they told us], the company did another arrangement and had sent us here instead. The receptionist was simply civil and only one attendant helped us carry our luggage. The hotel was really tall, but ideally it was rather skimpy. But what amazed me the most was how really small the room was. Do I need to add the bathroom too?! We just came from Macau and unfortunately our room in HK was like 5x smaller than our room back in Macau! It was like..wow. Is this really HK?! Well of course were traveling on a budget but I seriously didn't thought it would be that small. But anyway, their one-day McDonald's coupon was fun [which was a block away from the hotel] and yeah..their ham servings for their buffet breakfast was pretty bland or maybe that's just how they cook it.

• Stayed: July 2007