“Still a terrific hotel, great security.”

JW Marriott Hotel Jakarta
Ranked #12 of 464 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Still my favourite place here.

I’ve bunked here and at the Grand Hyatt. I’ve been at multi-day meetings at the Mulia, the Ritz Carlton, and the Four Seasons. I still rank the JWM very highly. This trip I was at the JWM for four nights, meetings at the Four Seasons for four days.

First, the street side security, as one might imagine, is very thorough. Airport grade scanners and xrays, secondary hand search, guys with very large guns who are very visible.

Check in was done on Concierge Level for me, and my room , as usual, was spacious, clean and well-equipped. Bathroom amenities are standard Marriott issue, nothing fancy. Internet was good speed and reliable. They seem to have almost completed the switchover to the new JWM logo.

Laundry costs are quite reasonable, and certainly in line with the local labour market.

Concierge lounge food is excellent, both breakfast and evening. I know that there are significant duties imposed on alcohol, but I do wish they’d give their wine selection a second look. They serve first tier liquors, but their wines are third tier at best. Lounge staff is excellent.

Gift shop is now “upon request”. Limited stuff there, and if you need something other than carvings, a scarf or toothpaste, you’re in trouble. Previously, the Ritz had a good gift shop, didn’t check this stay.

I used the business centre here for some copies… found the service to be quite good, although the pricing is a bit high for something as simple as scanning a document. Please, GM, relook this... I know what your labour costs are, and scanning a doc is faster than cooking me a meal… but you wouldn’t know it from your pricing.

The Japanese restaurant prices have gone up in the past 12 months, so not the value it had been. The buffet is very good, and those prices are excellent.

So, note to the GM: have a look at your Concierge Level wines, and double check what you charge for labor-intensive tasks… laundry vs business centre vs Japanese restaurant vs buffet…

I’ve stayed here many times, and look forward to my return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Chauncey_Gardiner

Reviewed 18 December 2011

A great hotel - excellent staff & a clean and comfortable property makes it a pleasant business trip.

Room Tip: Go for the Club Rooms - has happy hour until 9pm where you can eat a healthy meal
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was there for 9 days on business. The staff was always very helpful from the front desk and concierge to the restaurant staff. Since I have a Marriott Rewards account, internet was free, wired in the room. That is a pretty low standard for getting it free. The breakfast buffet was included and I don't believe I have eaten at such a diverse one, Chinese, Korean, American, Indian sometimes Japanese and local dishes. Lots of fruit, etc.
The room is fine with a very comfortable bed, excellent plumbing.
One annoying thing is the security just to get in to the hotel, like US Airport-lite. I believe they had some incidents back sometime. However, if it makes you feel safe, that's a plus.
Con: There is not a lot of walk-friendly space around. However there is a mini-mall with Starbucks, Grocery Store, several noodle joints and one or two nice restaurants, only steps away. A little farther is the Ambassador Mall, which has a lot of things but oddly, more camera stores than in any US City anymore.
Can't go wrong in my opinion.

Room Tip: I don't think it matters much which way you look out, both views seem about the same and noise w...
1  Thank Phil H
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I've stayed at the JW Marriott in other cities, but this was my first stay at the JW Marriott Jakarta as my usual hotel was fully booked.

Overall my stay was great. Rooms were spacious and the bathroom was spotless. Service was top notch and service staff attentive - obviously the people had been well trained. The Lindt chocolate on the bed as part of the turn down service was a nice touch. The gym was equipped with new and a wide selection of equipment and whilst small, was empty when I was there.

Good selection of Western and Asian cuisines, and my only issue here was the cooking smell that lingered in the dining hall on the ground floor during breakfast which meant I ended up at work smelling of a used kitchen. I assume the smell is most likely from the food being cooked in the same open area as the dining.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Rachmalia N, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Jakarta, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to give us feed back and for sharing your experience with us during your stay at the JW Marriott Hotel, Jakarta.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able provide you a sense of being well looked after. We also are delighted to know that you liked our rooms and the food selection in Sailenda , our award wining restaurant.

We have noted your feedback on the food smell and our dedicated team of associates are working towards taking care of that issue.

We thank you for choosing the JW Marriott Hotel Jakarta for your stay. Feedback such as yours is always very encouraging and very important to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

Please do contact us for any inquiry or feedback at mhrs.jktjw.marcomm.exec@marriotthotels.com or call us at (021) 5798 8888.

Best regards,

The Management
JW Marriott Hotel Jakarta

Reviewed 2 December 2011

From a personal perspective, I can say that the rooms are very well appointed and comfortable. I travel a lot for work,was lucky to enjoyed other JW Marriott's around the world but this one is definitely not as classy like all the other one .
I have to add that here if you are a fan of "look like security" you are at the right place ..
The security imprtant part of a stay for frequent travellers ,it is here a nice show .
After already 2 weeks stay (2 more to go ) i had oportunity to experience all kinds of situations making you feel uncomfortable .
I carry the same bag when i travel around the world but here it require each time a specific "search" ??
being witness of differences when local well known customers arrives they are not search with the same curiosity as like me a long staying guest who provided all information as passport ,company ,and other detailed information .

1  Thank jeanMarcPGunsbach