“New Year's in Jakarta”

JW Marriott Hotel Jakarta
Ranked #14 of 472 Hotels in Jakarta
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My family and I just stayed at the JW Marriott in Jakarta this past New Year's Eve and had a fabulous time. We had an all-you-can-eat-and-drink buffet at the Pearl Restaurant, which was outstanding. The food and service were perfect. We were completely looked after and had everything we wanted, but never felt like the staff was too overbearing (like in some Asian restaurants). We danced the night away in the hotel lounge (Blu Martini) and then had New Year's Brunch the next day. The room, the food, the service - EVERYTHING - was top notch. We couldn't have asked for anything more. I live in Jakarta and have tried out all the big hotels here, but the JW continues to be my husband's and my favorite.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

Reviewed 3 January 2012

My wife, sister, her husband and I stayed here for New Year's Eve a few nights ago. This hotel is absolute class. Super comfortable bed, great views of Jakarta, and great service. We had a buffet in the Chinese restaurant which was lacking vegetarian options, but still great. The bath and shower water were not quite hot enough for the wifey, but bathroom was huge and nice. The Blue Martini lounge is where we hung for NYE and the service was incredible. Only 35USD for all you could drink and your drink was empty for about 2 seconds before there were servers there to ask you if you'd like another. We did the spa package so there was a spa treatment and rose petal turn-down service and with those inclusions the room was still only $170/night - and I hear it's usually less when not around the holidays. Absolutely phenomenal hotel for a great price. Don't spend $300+ on any other 5 star hotel in Jakarta!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I stayed here for an extended period during my business trip to Jakarta. The hotel was amazing, the staff was courteous, the rooms impeccable and the food excellent. The hotel was able to give us Long Term Stay (LTS) rates which just made staying here all that much sweeter. Even though there is security, it was still worth the little wait that our car and bags were searched. Just the morning breakfast was incredible with almost 3 - 4 kinds of cuisines just in breakfast. Overall I had a wonderful time in the hotel and will definitely stay here again mainly because you get your money's worth and a whole lot more.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Check in was swift and friendly. Room was well appointed with an awesome view of Jakarta skyline. Breakfast was great with a great variety. The toilet bowl was faulty but they were quick to fix it. The internet connection was fast and user friendly. I am a Marriott Rewards member so internet was free.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Still my favourite place here.

I’ve bunked here and at the Grand Hyatt. I’ve been at multi-day meetings at the Mulia, the Ritz Carlton, and the Four Seasons. I still rank the JWM very highly. This trip I was at the JWM for four nights, meetings at the Four Seasons for four days.

First, the street side security, as one might imagine, is very thorough. Airport grade scanners and xrays, secondary hand search, guys with very large guns who are very visible.

Check in was done on Concierge Level for me, and my room , as usual, was spacious, clean and well-equipped. Bathroom amenities are standard Marriott issue, nothing fancy. Internet was good speed and reliable. They seem to have almost completed the switchover to the new JWM logo.

Laundry costs are quite reasonable, and certainly in line with the local labour market.

Concierge lounge food is excellent, both breakfast and evening. I know that there are significant duties imposed on alcohol, but I do wish they’d give their wine selection a second look. They serve first tier liquors, but their wines are third tier at best. Lounge staff is excellent.

Gift shop is now “upon request”. Limited stuff there, and if you need something other than carvings, a scarf or toothpaste, you’re in trouble. Previously, the Ritz had a good gift shop, didn’t check this stay.

I used the business centre here for some copies… found the service to be quite good, although the pricing is a bit high for something as simple as scanning a document. Please, GM, relook this... I know what your labour costs are, and scanning a doc is faster than cooking me a meal… but you wouldn’t know it from your pricing.

The Japanese restaurant prices have gone up in the past 12 months, so not the value it had been. The buffet is very good, and those prices are excellent.

So, note to the GM: have a look at your Concierge Level wines, and double check what you charge for labor-intensive tasks… laundry vs business centre vs Japanese restaurant vs buffet…

I’ve stayed here many times, and look forward to my return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business