“Nice view, that's the only good thing about this hotel.”
Review of Marina De Bay

Marina De Bay
Reviewed 20 January 2017

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights with 2 young kids, 2 adults and 2 parents in law.
We have booked 2 rooms.

I have so many complains with this hotel, that I don't even know where to start.

1. We booked the Bay View but we didn't get any view of the bay except tons of trash in the mangroves.
2.Our front door won't lock so we asked to be relocated and they want us to pay an upgrade.
3. Our window ( we were on the Ground Floor) wont lock and there's a huge hole in the screen. The screen is so flimsy that it can easily rip off the hinges. Security Hazard!
4. There are flies everywhere when you eat at the outdoor restaurant and cat poop on the walk way. Yikes.
5. They call themselves Marina de Bay Resort and Spa but the SPA is not in operation. The "used to be spa" is a sorry looking hut full of dusts and I'm sure no one has use it in months if not years as they only do " on call". Where they call an outside masseuse to do the massage for you in the room.
6. The shuttle service is only a one round trip journey to and from the city. And its at 6pm and returns from the city at 8:30pm. If yo want to go outside the "resort" you have to call the taxi, not expensive but you have to pay them the booking fee on top of the meter rate.
7.The shower area in the pool is moldy and green. Hazard! Hazard for kids.
8. I saw they were cleaning the pool once but Im sure there didnt put chlorine in the water.
9. The staff are nice and accommodating, when I finally asked for a room transfer they upgrade us in a boat room ( Commodore) the room is big and clean. Nice view over here. But that night it rained and we woke up with water flooding in our room. Luckily none of my active kids has woken up and hubby found out before someone get hurt or electrocuted.
10. Be careful when you order than fresh fruit in the free breakfast cause its NOT when you are having the Filipino food. Its only free when you are having the International Breakfast. ( Weird)
11. Did I mentioned 2 kids and 2 adults and 2 more grandparents? Well they charge us extra person for my 5 year old son. Although I argue that he can be counted in my parent in law's room because they book the Suite for this purpose. But no, they went ahead and charge us.
12. The laundry service is ridiculous. Make sure you bring enough for your stay.

GOOD STUFF!
1. The staff are really nice and friendly. ( i think they know all the faults Ive mentioned)
2. As far as the food, its not bad.

I am writing this review so the management of this hotel will look into this problems. I don't want the hotel to go out of business. I'm sure a lot of families rely on the continuous operation of this hotel. If they don't fix this it wont last too long.

Rhea

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank ryubaby

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

This hotel has great potential, but does not optimise it. The restaurant is wonderful - great food, helpful staff, the view of the bay is beautiful, and the dock would be a grat place for a party. The garden surroundings is lush and well- kept if you close your eyes to the garbage in between the bushes and in the mangrove. Really too bad. The hotel reception could use training in hospitality from the restaurant staff, training altogether. Only one person knew any information. When she was absent, then good luck getting the answer. We saw 3 different rooms after refusing to stay in the moldy and dungeon-like "exec room" they gave us. With an upgrade we were able to stay in the room you see on their website. Now we know why the hotel offered a tremendous discount on the overnight stay. Eat there, enjoy a sunset drink, and a message, but I recommend you stay someplace else.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelS708
Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

Nice place and great view.

We have been here to enjoy menu for lunch with friends. Good and fresh food.

Menu was offered good for 4-5 person and it was plenty served.

It might be an idea it remember this place for a celebration with a bigger group.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2016

What makes this restaurant unique is their dining area (designed like a small ark) in the middle of the sea with a good view of the ocean and the Puerto Princesa Baywalk at a distance. The ambiance here is good and relaxing. It's located in Tiniguiban, Puerto Princesa City (near the new city hall), approximately 7 kilometers from the airport. I didn't actually experience staying at the hotel, I just dropped by here a couple times to get a taste of their dishes. Highly recommended especially the seafood and chicken binakol (chicken soup inside a fresh coconut). This is a mid-range hotel and restaurant so for those traveling on a budget this may not be suitable for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have good view of the bay
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2016

My boyfriend and I availed of the Honeymoon package, well not because we went there for a honeymoon, but because the package had everything we wanted to see and experience in Puerto Prinsesa, Palawan.
The package was for 4 days and 3 nights and included the following:
a. Accommodation for the above-stated period (Exclusive Suite)
b. Roundtrip Airport-Hotel Transfer
c. All meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)
d. Complimentary Wine, Chocolate (Toblerone, but maybe you can have or request another if you are allergic to nuts) and fresh fruits (in season)
e.1 hour rejuvenating spa package
f. Tours which include the underground river tour, honda bay island hopping, city tour and many other extras
g. Free Van Service to the City (there is only one service available that leave at about 6pm and the driver waits for you until 8:30pm)

The location. It was about 30-45 minutes away from the City.

The view. It was beautiful there! You can see the Baywalk across the waters (which looked more beautiful at night because of the lights). There are lots of trees and flowers around the area.

The Front Desk. Like the others, we were also greeted with a nice cold refreshing iced tea! the staff were very nice and courteous. they were likewise very honest about their foods and tours. Their driver, Kuya Jesse, was also nice!

The Room. It was spacious (but maybe just because we stayed in the Executive Suite), clean and smelled wonderful. SADLY, if you look outside the window, although there were lots of mangroves, there were also lots of plastic bottles, bags, caps and many other i can hardly identify.

The bathroom. clean and spacious, however, you might have to bring lots of shampoos and conditioners and your own soap for daily use because they only provided 2 half sachets of vaseline shampoos and 2 medium-sized safeguard soap.

The Food. EVERYTHING WAS DELIGHTFUL. Request for the sliced fish with toasted garlic on top and the sweet-chili crabs! We were only served with buffet dinner and breakfast when there were still lots of guests, but apart from such instance, we were always surprised with their menu, but do not worry, their cook is great and so is Kuya Mike (waiter) who was very cheerful and accommodating all the time!

The Spa. It was okay, nothing outstanding about it.

The Service. The driver was always on time! Thanks Kuya Jesse!

The tours - PALS Travel Tour Agency. Ate Beth and Kuya... oops sorry I forgot, were nice and very informative. We were really happy and surprised with their honesty. It all seemed like they were not pushing or forcing you to buy stuff from Palawan, and they bring you to places where you can buy cheap but good souvenirs!

The pool. There were 2 pools, the infinity and kiddie pool. Don't worry (like I did lol) the pools were not deep, considering the fact that I'm just 5 feet short. lol I'm not sure if it has chlorine, maybe just a little, I barely tasted it (omg. yes, sorry I accidentally did), but water was clean and cold. the view in this area is likewise sublime, very good for photo ops!

They also offer water activities like boating and kayaking (which we were not able to avail).

OVERALL, our stay was very good! It was near perfection, if it weren't for all the rubbish we saw. I still highly recommend this place and I will surely come back!
It is a wonderful place - good value for money and it will surely make your tummy happy!

Room Tip: Choose the Brick Villas!
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple