“Sunday Brunch not 5 star caliber”

One-Ninety Wood-Fired Steaks and Seafood
Ranked #1,278 of 10,791 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Orchard Road
Orlando, Florida
“Sunday Brunch not 5 star caliber”
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Went to the Sunday brunch at Four Seasons. We had wanted to go to the Fullerton, but it was fully booked and also the Hyatt was booked so we came here. I had never done Sunday brunch in Singapore and went with high expectations after reading online and hearing about how all the hotels have huge, elaborate brunches and how it's a big thing in Singapore.

For $110/head without alcohol, I was not really wowed. I was expecting an elegant, romantic ambiance and it wasn't there. White the restaurant was nice, it just seemed a little too casual for me. There were no table cloths on the tables. It could have been a restaurant at any Marriott or Hilton hotel. Also the lobby in the hotel itself is not very grand or impressive unlike other Four Seasons I have been to. The noise level in the restaurant was quite high and there were screaming kids running amok while the parents/nannies did nothing to discipline them. Also there were several adults dressed in flip flops, raggy tshirts, and cargo shorts who looked like they came off a beach. When we spend this much on a meal, I expect there to be some kind of dress code and for kids to be well behaved. Not the romantic atmosphere I had expected.

If you don't get the brunch that includes champagne and alcohol, soda is not even included. I think it's tacky to charge extra for soda, I'm sure charging $110 pp they make plenty of money without having to nickel and dime guests for drinks.

Service was spotty. On 3 occasions, our plates were cleared and they did not give us any new forks afterwards. So I would return with a new plate of food and be unable to eat and have to flag down the staff and ask for forks. Not acceptable, especially for 3 times. They also seemed in a hurry to rush us out of there. The salt and pepper shakers were inexplicably removed with over an hour to go remaning, and had to ask for them again. Then not a minute after I came back with a dessert plate, they were removed again.

Then at 2:45pm I was informed that 3pm was closing time. If they wanted to offer last pour for drinks or something that would be fine, but to flat out tell me that 3 was closing time I thought was very rude. If I want to linger a while after the food has been cleared I should be able to. I also want to note that this staff member appeared to only tell me and not other tables. They also had stools for ladies to set their purses on whom were not sitting in a booth, but nobody offered me this or asked if I needed one. Not the service that Four Seasons is supposed to be known for.

The food was good, but there were no oysters as a previous review mentioned. The crab didnt taste very good. Also would have liked to see deviled eggs which is pretty common for brunch. My significant other who has been to the Fullerton brunch said they have a better and larger variety and also a better ambiance.

Next time we will book in advance, not the day before, and make reservations for the brunch at Fullerton. There's probably a reason they had openings the night before and there were still plenty of empty seats there. This was a good buffet but I don't think it's worth the money for $280 per couple after tax and service fee nor the best you can find in Singapore.

2 Thank caesar52

Corner of Earth
“Addictive Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed 11 April 2009

I go to The Line (Shangri-La Hotel) for dinner buffets because it is cheaper. If price is not a concern, head to One-Ninety's Sunday Brunch. Simply the best Sunday Brunch in Singapore. Go for the grilled lamb, risotto, oysters of various areas, organic salad, foie gras, crepes, mojito etc. It has at least a few items which left my family members and I go 'mmmm...' followed by that feeling of bliss. Haven't met any other hotel buffets that gave me that feeling. It is addictive as my maternal family members seperately made monthly trips since they tried it, just like me (couldn't afford too many times so eventually had to reduce the brunch). Really expensive, but worth it.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent US steaks, wagyu burger... and laksa”
Reviewed 23 November 2008

Excellent US steaks, wagyu burger... and laksa

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Singapore, Singapore
“Great high-tea buffet, cosy setting, family-oriented”
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Great high-tea buffet, cosy setting, family-oriented

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Casual but elegant restaurant in my favourite Singapore hotel. Like the chicken rice... and the breakfast fry-ups...”
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Casual but elegant restaurant in my favourite Singapore hotel. Like the chicken rice... and the breakfast fry-ups :) Fab service.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook