“Lots of fun, good recipes and teaching.”
Review of Cookery Magic

Cookery Magic
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Panama
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Lots of fun, good recipes and teaching.”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The teacher teaches by estimation of amounts and tasting, not by exact measurements.

I had a lot of fun cooking with friends in the outdoor kitchen. Small class, delicious recipes and we ate our food afterwards.

Good way to experience Singapore, especially since it's in a local neighbourhood you would not otherwise visit as a tourist.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank chicalocaPanama

Paso Robles, California
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Even more than a cooking class...”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I really enjoyed the Singapore Favorites cooking class. Ruqxana is a great teacher and you learn not only how to cook some great dishes, but a bit about the culture and history of the dishes and cooking methods, but also about Singapore itself. The class was small (3 of us), hands on, and she tailored it to accomodate both a vegetarian in the group (but the meat eaters still had meat) and also to our "heat" preferences on the spices. I especially enjoyed the opportunity to taste some of the exotic (for me) ingredients that I had heard about but never tasted before (galangal, palm sugar, laksa leaves, ginger flower), so that I could better understand their flavor profiles and what they brought to the finished dish. It was also interesting that she grew many of the ingredients in her own yard! I would have been happy just to cook, but the experience was so much more than that. Also, her home is very easy to get to by MRT and bus (bus stops right in front of her home), but is also just a 15 minute walk from the MRT station if you like the extra exercise! It was enjoyable to cook in her outdoor kitchen and the food prep area was very clean and all ingredients were kept covered until used.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank 50waystogo
Singapore, Singapore
“Enriching and interesting experience”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I attended Ruksana’s cooking classes at the very rustic Pulau Ubin as well as her warm and cosy home cooking studio. They were such interesting and enriching experiences as Ruksana was passionate as well as very knowledgeable about all the various ingredients and had wonderful food and other stories which she shared with great enthusiasm.
I definitely recommend Ruksana’s classes for everyone who wants to go beyond doing the usual touristy stuff.

Visited December 2011
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Everything a cooking class should be”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

A good cooking class isn't just about learning how to make a couple good dishes (which of course we did) but also about leaving with lessons that you can apply in your own kitchen on a daily basis. I learned some really useful tricks in this class, the teacher was very knowledgable and the food we made was really delicious. On top of that, her house is beautiful and cozy, making it an attractive setting for an afternoon of tasty cooking. I recommend this for anyone, even if you can't cook!

1 Thank Sergeykahn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A delightful way to experience authentic old style Singapore food and hospitality”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

As an Australian expat in Singapore I'm always looking for something fun and interesting to do when friends and family visit. Cookery Magic's half day cooking lesson in the rustic surrounds of Pulau Ubin was the perfect way for my Mum and I to spend some time together outside the hustle and bustle of the city. The family who welcomed us into their traditional Malay kampong (village) house were lovely and the cookery class was such great fun! And, the food was terrific. We also joined in the walk through the gardens to find out more about the traditional vegetables and herbs grown there. (I hope to do the other Cookery Magic class - in the Singapore Home - next time.) Highly recommended!

Visited November 2011