Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews orchard road chinese group chinese guests a bit tired the hotel staff little india changi airport mrt taxis shopping kettle
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My daughter stayed here recently as part of a sports tour group. Prior to the trip we'd been alarmed at TA reports of a brothel on the second floor and a hostess bar in the basement frequented by "decrepit Chinese gentlemen tourists" entertaining young girls, but we were assured by the organisers that the "VIP lounge" (euphemisms abound) had been closed and the hotel was safe and respectable. Absolutely not so. Plenty of lone, inappropriately dressed young women were to be spotted making a beeline for the second floor, and the basement lounge was thriving.

Consistent with the general tenor of the hotel, the rooms were also filthy - the worst my daughter has ever stayed in, and she's experienced plenty, from the cheap and cheerful to the very luxurious. Having checked in and been shown an ancient video in broken English on fire safety, they went to their dark and damp-smelling room, with its repulsively filthy curtains. The bathrooms had no ventilation and flooded easily, though the water was hot. The bedlinen was stained and badly in need of replacing, as were the towels and the carpeting. My daughter and her room-mates wore their own flip-flops in the bathroom, used their own towels, and my daughter fortunately had a sleeping bag liner with her so she slept in that.

The breakfast consisted of deep fried prawns, dumplings, rice, soggy hash browns, rotis, stale fruit loops and bowls of tinned fruit in iced water, all a bit risky so the toast was the safest option.

The pool wasn't too bad, fairly clean, and the leaves in it on the first day had been cleaned out by the second.

All in all an awful place, little wonder one honeymooning reviewer wept when she saw her room. My daughter asked if I could give it no stars. I said no, I had to give it one. What, not even half a star, she replied. Definitely the lowlight of an otherwise great trip. You have been warned.

Room tip: The only way you'd get a good room is by booking ELSEWHERE.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
7  Thank MancMouse
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Excellent value with a Singapore stopover deal. Nice hotel. All the amenities, of the more expensive hotels. Reception excellent, with knowledge for bus(at door) or train(5 mins), to get you around to attractions. A way out, but with transport, not a problem. Beds were comfortable, rooms were spacious. Had all the shampoos, etc. In a quiet area of Singapore

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marlene403
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My family and i have just returned from a 14 day trip, 7 daysin Phuket fantastic, Then 7 days in Singapore Beautiful...except the Hotel was a Disgrace!
The Hotel Royal at Newton Singapore was disgusting! Not only it is a filthy place, you get NO service what soever, and they try to charge you for extras you didnt have and the room charge twice. Then they get the manager who then speaks rudely to you until you show them your receipts you got at check in.No apology, nothing. It is advertised as a lovely hotel, great for the family...not. Besides the filth in the room (sheets dirty/stained) (bathroom covered in mould) (all air conditioner vents moulding in the rooms and lobby)It has 2 clubs for men only if you know what i mean. I only found this out when we decided to go to the kareoke bar and found it to be a girly bar for men, i wasnt impressed that my children had to see that!
We have travelled to Singapore more than this trip and i advise all travellers to steer clear of this one! You'd be better staying at the cheap Fragrance or Hotel 81 chains! I advised the Hotel myself I would tell everyone i know about there disgusting establishment! BEWARE!!!!

Room tip: Dont stay there for the $1500 we paid we could have stayed somewhere nicer! I would have taken more pics but i wanted to try and enjoy some of my holiday!
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank SharonH580
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Nice hotel for stop over in singapore! nice location close to novena MRT and to orchard Road.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeryK
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed at the royal on the Easter weekend 2011. It was the worst hotel experience either of us has ever had (I backpacked around Europe and had better accommodation). The staff were disorganised and not interested. We were also double charged for the stay. The walk to the room was like a trek through a swamp as the ceiling was leaking from the floor above. The room decor was the type you would see in an 80's blue movie. They gave us two single beds rather than the requested double bed (the double was confirmed with us before arrival). Breakfast was like a gladiatorial battle for not just the food, but for a table. The only positive was that the Marriott in KL upgraded us when they heard of our terrible experience.

Date of stay: July 2011
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Takura C