“Had a fantastic time at Tachinomiya”

Tachinomiya Japanese Izakaya & Bar
Get food delivered
Ranked #657 of 15,062 Restaurants in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Hougang
Description: Singapore's First Heartland Neighbourhood Japanese Izakaya & Bar – right in the heart of Kovan. Serving you authentic Japanese street food and drinks.
Reviewed 4 April 2021 via mobile

Had a fantastic time at Tachinomiya last saturday! I was not too sure what to expect as I don't usually frequent bars and such, but the quality of food was definitely a pleasant surprise. They served a wide variety of bar snacks, including my personal favourite, gyozas. However I would say that the dish that stood out most to me would be their skewers! They were grilled really nicely and I really enjoyed the sauce that they were marinated with - slightly sweet yet savoury. Would definitely recommend getting the skewers to everyone who goes to Tachinomiya 👍

Reviewed 29 March 2021

I've always been a big fan of Izakayas ever since I stepped into one during my trip to Japan a few years ago. Small bites, good beer, a nice place to just kick back and relax, what more could one ask for? In Singapore, most izakayas are located in areas with lots of offices nearby, and are a hotspot for office workers to head to after a long day at work.

However, it turns out that izakayas can do well even in the heartlands, like Tachinomiya in Hougang. Tachinomiya gets most of the checks on my list: good food, nice ambience, friendly service staff; my only gripe about it would be the difficulty in getting a reservation since its almost always fully booked.

In usual izakaya fashion, I ordered plenty of small bites with a nice pint of beer. Even though I enjoyed all the food, a few dishes that stood out to me were the Mentaiko Tiger Prawn Skewers, the Cheese Grilled Scallops, and the Fried Shishamo (Smelt). Those dishes were the cream of the crop, and had me ordering seconds.

Looking for a place to eat and drink with friends but don't want to head to Clarke Quay? Give your friendly neighborhood izakaya Tachinomiya a shot 👍

Reviewed 28 March 2021

Enjoyed my time at Tachinomiya! laid back izakaya vibes with a healthy range of menu items. Service was also exceptional despite the slight crowd. Will be back!

Top picks:
Bacon asparagus
Shishito peppers
Salmon sashimi
potato salad

Reviewed 28 March 2021 via mobile

Fresh sashimi, crispy and well-battered tori karaage, and yummy kushiyaki. Highly recommend the shishito peppers and bacon asparagus and salmon sashimi here.

Reviewed 28 March 2021

Probably the first Izakaya found In HDB heartland with decent Japanese yakitori and wide selection of sake and drinks. Loved the Grilled Garlic Pork Belly which was nicely grilled with sauce and taste that reminds me of local Char Siew. The Ribeye Beef rice was also served with tender grilled beef which blends well with the rice. Reasonably price and excellent alternative for those who do not wish to travel to town but craving for good Japanese food and drinks with Izakaya settings.