“Not recommended”

20:00
Ranked #420 of 13,647 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Neighbourhood: Central Area/City Area
Description: Welcome to Kinou Bar Tapas. Come over and share the moment. Tapas & Platter to share. Wine, Cocktail, Beer & Pintxos.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Pardon the long post.

I once came here for lunch about two yrs ago and i recalled I loved their ceviche but today’s experience was honestly downright atrocious and mostly because of the lady service staff who obviously has less than neutral intentions (despite her seemingly polite outwardly portrayal but you know when you can read the hearts of people through actions they display) and her attempts to push us to get more expensive items on the menu.

Came into the place at 845pm with absolutely no one in the restaurant on a Thursday evening.

1. We heard very clearly the minimum order for steak was 200g and also ordered 200g but it was keyed in as 300g and we were also charged that amount. If the steak had been good it would be fine but the steak came out half rare and completely bloody (we ordered medium) and the other half full of impossible to bite tendons and literally chunks of fat. And we paid $54++ for this. Staff insisted that 300g was minimum but I would trust both of our ears more. Also, if this is the standard of wagyu beef, I’m better off eating at cheap Chinese hotpot restaurant with better quality free flow beef than this.

2. Showed a Remy Martin voucher to redeem for 2 drinks, was handed one only and when asked for the other, lady staff then probably wanted to get away with it but then decided to be mean and replied the voucher was meant to redeem until 8pm (yes we didn’t see the fine print for this part) but honestly, when there’s zero customers, couldn’t you just allow some leeway? Also I bet it’s Remy Martin company paying for the drinks and it was a gesture extended by them to me, but yet the fulfillment is subpar. I eventually received no complimentary drinks which I’m entitled for, and had to pay for that one drink.

3. Ordered “fries” stated on menu and it came as sweet potato fries. We asked a couple of time and even upon checking were told it’s definitely just “regular fries”. Unable to comprehend with both of us knowing and eating so many types of fries and can recognize a rather over burnt bowl of sweet potato fries, was still told it’s otherwise. Granted they took it off the bill, which we are thankful for. But we were charged everything else.

4. The only saving grace is that the chefs are genuinely nice people and offered some free desserts to make up for the beef experience. The dessert are nice and done well, but probably due to the lack of customers they didn’t manage to serve it thus probably better to have us eat it than throw at the end of the day. However honestly we would rather just have our drinks that we came for to be redeemed and have a proper quality steak.

Oh also, their gambas prawns are grilled well and has a great garlicky taste. Ceviche as what I remembered is good also.

But all in all, sorry but I’m unlikely to be back again.

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (117)

Reviewed 16 January 2021 via mobile

The service is good I have to say. This is their saving grace. As for the food, it is ok but nothing to shout about. Not French/Basque food to be honest. The price is on the high side for the quality and quantity of food. Wine is expensive. Average bottle price is $150 with more than 100% mark up. Music is too loud and a bit too club-like when the place is not a club. Strange.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 19 December 2020 via mobile

As Singapore foodies we wanted to try this french restaurant. Even though the food is ok.. (I had the yellow ceviche followed by a veal stew).. the veal stew was more of a pulled veal but the taste was fine. My husband had the kokotxe which is pulled pork, in a way very similar to my dish.Price is ok BUT as french people we enjoy our bottle of wine when we go out but here.. no way. Prices are extravagant. The cheapest bottle goes for 90 dollars which is ridiculous compared to all other restaurants we know and there are a lot. If you are a water drinker then it's ok. Not sure we patronize again.

2  Thank Lovemakan
Reviewed 19 December 2020

It is always a pleasure to go there. The food is really good starting with some tapas to share followed by a meat platter. Really great experience and the music selection is always nice. I will for sure come back with some friends. The staff is kind, a great moment there.

Reviewed 18 December 2020 via mobile

Starters were delicious and we had a huge platter of meat to share. Amazing food ! Really fun atmosphere with good music ! Will definitely come back again and again !