7 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$373
View deal
Official SiteUS$392
PricelineUS$393
Expedia.comUS$425
Hotels.comUS$425
Trip.comUS$392
TravelocityUS$425
All reviews grand deluxe room terrace room salvatore ferragamo stamford road saltwater pool stamford restaurant heritage building lobby lounge civic district non alcoholic drinks impeccable service roti prata pre arrival kaya toast birthday staycation guest services high tea
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 June 2022 via mobile

Although borders are gradually reopening, my wife and I decided to continue with our local staycations to celebrate her birthday.

We opted for 3 such stays and The Capitol Kempinski Hotel is our second.

We chose this hotel to take up the 125 Anniversary offer which included a 2-night stay at a Heritage Suite, one afternoon tea at the Lobby Lounge, one 4-course dinner at 15 Stamford, lounge access, 2 limited edition bathrobes and inclusion of mini bar replenished daily.

As this is our first stay at the property, we are naturally curious and excited.

This is the first hotel where the telephone receptionist also acted like someone from Room Reservation and the restaurants.

Our questions were answered by the ladies picking up the 2 or 3 calls prior to our stay and she/they also helped us with the restaurant reservation.

The first impression we got from the hotel is that it is a small property. However, it turns out bigger than we’ve expected.

While the façade facing the roads looks like a building that’s been very well-restored, the rooms are actually located in a new building – I am not so sure if it is a totally new building or additions and alterations were made from another GHA property that used to occupy the area.

GREAT CHECK-IN EXPERIENCE:

Mr Tuah attended to us when we checked in on 14 June. This is probably only our second experience when we were comfortably seated while we were being checked-in.

At most other hotels, guests are punished and made to stand in a line. Hahaha.

We were subsequently ushered into the Lobby Lounge when the hotel was making its last round of checking.

When our room was ready, Mr Tuah took us on a very quick tour of the property and led us up to our room. Great!

THE ROOM:

Room 320 is a Heritage Suite. It is located on Level 3 and is part of the building gazetted for preservation by the government.

As it faces the main road, some traffic noise is expected although the hotel has already done what it can by adding an extra glass window like that of a plane (hence there is no way to open the windows in the rooms).

Judging from the floor plan, they are many other Stamford Suites adjacent to Rom 320 although there is a larger one at the corner.

The WC and the shower areas are separated by an aisle to a tiny lounge area. We loved the bath room with the stone bench.

The bedroom area is at the end of the rectangular suite next to the windows. The 3 areas in the suite can be separated by some heavy sliding doors although they do not block out each area totally.

The air-con is great at the lounge area but not so much near the bed so we thought the room was a tad stuffy.

We asked for hard pillows and were given 2 foam ones that provided slightly better neck-support than the typical soft pillows hotels love to provide.

We love the Farragamo shower gel and shampoo. The fragrance is heavenly.

CATERING:

The 5-course Afternoon Tea at the lobby lounge is something we have not experienced before - love the pairing of tea.

The 4-course dinner at 15 Stamford is served by really attentive staff. The food has a fusion vibe and has a strong barbecue taste.

Breakfast at 15 Stamford is great because of the super attentive staff like Mr Damien. I also enjoyed making small talk with the Thai lady chef as I waited for my eggs both mornings.

My only grouse about breakfast is that the only variation comes mainly from the dimsum range on both mornings. The other offerings remain largely the same.

Of course, one can argue that there is nothing much to change on the breakfast menu. Perhaps the bee tai mak soup can be changed to yellow noodles soup or roti prata can be changed to chapatti or naan, for example.

POOL:

It was a long walk from Room 320 to the pool, but it was worth it. We loved the quaint little pool so much that we made it a point to spend some time there on both afternoons.

My only complaint about the pool is that there are way too many steps. In fact, the steps can pose a danger to guests who are unaware of the multiple steps of varying width. Also, some of the mosaic tiles are broken. While some have been filled up by white cement, there are still some missing tiles that can deliver nasty cuts.

The 1.2 depth part of the pool is limited to a width of about 1.5 metres and limited to the middle portion only – so you can’t do laps because of the steps.

However we still enjoyed the pool as it is a beautiful and relaxing little oasis in the middle of town.

EVENING CANAPÉS:

We had German food on the first night and Italian food on the second for evening canapés. There were way too much carbs for evening canapés and not something we’ve come to be accustomed to.

CHECKING OUT:

We were attended to by the sweet Ms Risse when we checked out.

As part of our routine, we checked out right after breakfast.

HITS & MISSES:

We are happy with the 125 Anniversary package and would recommend it to anyone to take it up if they are looking for a staycation.

Capitol Kempinski has done well in so many areas compared to its sister hotels that we’ve recently stayed in.

We also like the turn down service provided although our 125 Anniversary room sandals were removed on the first night and replaced with the normal black ones yet the wet ones on the second night were left unreplaced. I thought the 125 Anniversary room sandals are for us. Hmmm…

My wife is still disappointed that: upon entering the room, there was no welcome fruits and the hotel must have totally forgotten that it was her birthday.

It is not like we needed a present but a simple acknowledgement would have made her day and the stay special.

Maybe the next hotel would not disappoint her. :)

Room tip: Can skip club access but do eat at 15 Stamford (for dinner)
Date of stay: June 2022
2  Thank prestontan
Andras Biro, General Manager at The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2022

Dear prestontan,

Warm greetings from The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore!

I can not expresses how grateful I am for such a detailed review of your hotel experience. This wonderful gesture will greatly inspire all our team members and the hotel as a whole, by sharing your narrative and Kempinski story to a world of aspiring travelers to Singapore and to future guests of the hotel.

I have been re-reading each line of your feedback, so that I can understand better how we made you feel during each service touchpoint, from the check-in to the departure, and at the same time I can pass your comments to the hotel's leaders and the team members, particularly Tuah, Risse and Damien, who exceeded your service expectations with their attentiveness and efficiency.

Thank you for positively highlighting 125 Anniversary Package and all the inclusions and that you find it worth recommending.

We are flattered to know that our hotel has done well in so many areas compared to other wonderful hotels in Singapore. Thank you wholeheartedly for sharing it!

Finally, I do feel disappointed that we missed the opportunity to celebrate together your wife's Birthday. My sincere appologies for that. It will be my pleasure to ensure that your wife receives the expected acknowledgment. The Front Office team will be directly in touch with you, as it is my outmost priority to make your occasion special.

Again, thank you for taking the time and investing in helping us to continuously improve.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to create more wonderful memories and keep exceeding your expectations.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2022

I had 2 wonderful nights of stay at the hotel. Everyday was great from the room to the buffet breakfast spread. Staffs are all friendly and polite, ready to answer queries. Special thanks to Resse, one of the ladies in red for her warm welcome and Check out. Process are smooth and fast. Will recommend to friends.

Date of stay: June 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Andras Biro, General Manager at The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2022

Dear Neo Y,

Greetings from The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore and thank you for highlighting the pleasant experience you had with us through a detailed review on TripAdvisor.

I wish to express my sincere gratitude for the wonderful feedback you have offered for the breakfast, the team and our efficient processes.

I have passed on your kind compliments to the entire team, especially Risse. She is truly overjoyed to have been of service to you.

My team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our property and creating many more wonderful memories.

Reviewed 5 June 2022 via mobile

The staff were extremely thoughtful about curating a wonderful experience for my wife & me. They prepared our room when we first check in and prepared the room for the night when we went out.

The hotel is conveniently placed in a good location.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Andras Biro, General Manager at The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2022

Dear AkramSky,

Thank you so much for choosing The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore and for highlighting the pleasant experience you had with us.

First and foremost, I can not express how grateful I am for your time to share your wonderful feedback through multiple channels.

Again, on behalf of my whole team, thank you wholeheartedly for highlighting the amazing experience you had with us!

Reviewed 1 June 2022 via mobile

This is our second stay with Kempinski Singapore, where the first was in 2021 during the pandemic. We were really impressed with the experience back in 2021 hence our return. Both stays at Kempinski was to commemorate our yearly marriage anniversaries.

How much more did we really enjoy this year, with the full opening of the hotel (I think?) and having to experience:

- the self service buffet breakfast
- unrestricted seating
- usage of the kids / family room
- unrestricted access to the pool

Service again has been outstanding, which I think is one of the hallmark of this hotel. Consistent delivery standards from reservations and throughout the entire stay.

It was good to be able to see familiar faces, like Vic from Marketing who met us with a warm welcome when we arrived.

In this stay, would like to name these few individuals who made our stay a really pleasant experience:

- Lenten (Front Desk)
She took the initiative to share about the family play room and accorded it to us. The kids really enjoyed it. They were also given a generous amount of snacks which was a very nice gesture!

- June (F&B Breakfast)
It’s really heartwarming to see the hotel providing employment opportunity for a more senior staff who displayed exceptional hospitality and service from the heart.

- Cassandra (LIR)
Going the extra mile to print out the receipt for usage of discovery dollars as I showed her about a promo I was trying to participate in

And finally, we are appreciative of the GM for giving my family a really warm welcome when they arrived. My wife felt it was like such a nice return after a year to the hotel.

The Personal Touch:
We also really liked the handwritten card given to us for our anniversary. The beauty of a personal touch goes a long way, as it shows that they do care. We used to get this back at the Fullerton but it is no longer applicable. It’s so good to see this practice here, making it our preferred now.

Other notable pleasant experiences:
- honesty displayed by the reservation desk as they recommended the Stamford suite instead of Bidwell due to the make up which suits the family better. Displayed by Anastasia and by another who showed me the room itself.

- initiative taken by one of the front desk officer who told us about the face painting and ballon session on our first day

- ever attentive staff who showed initiative and proactiveness

Closing:
Keep up the great spirit in Kempinski and it’s our hope that more will be able to experience the high level of remarkable hospitality this hotel has to offer.

It would be our delight to return again next year.

Room tip: Stamford Suite is most suitable for families.
Trip type: Travelled with family
Andras Biro, General Manager at The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2022

Dear Bercanees,

Thank you so much for choosing The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore for your second stay and for highlighting the pleasant experience you had with us through a detailed review.

Again, on behalf of my whole team, thank you wholeheartedly for highlighting it!

Reviewed 31 May 2022

We've just finished a wonderful stay at the Kempinski and have nothing but praise for the hotel. It certainly lives up to its 5 star rating and everything about the property was impeccable. While the room was not quite as opulent as some of the high end competitors, this was in no way detracting and we enjoyed the more classical styling. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet was exquisite, as were the bar staff, who facilitated a fun nightcap every evening. The hotel location is perfect, surrounded by amazing restaurants and in a central position for easy of access to everywhere via the MRT station downstairs.

The biggest praise we had however was just how friendly each staff member was. Not only was every person we dealt with very helpful, but every interaction was exceedingly warm and friendly. It was almost as if visiting family. With the staff shortages plaguing the hospitality industry post-Covid it's even more impressive that such a high level of service has been maintained. We look forward to staying again in the future.

Dear 123zas,

Thank you so much for choosing The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore for your stay and for highlighting the pleasant experience you had with us through a detailed review.

First and foremost, I can not express how proud I am to hear that each team member exceeded your expectations with their friendliness and attentiveness.

I am thrilled to hear that you specifically enjoyed room comfort, cleanliness standards, facilities and location. Thank you wholeheartedly for highlighting it!