“Brilliant hotel but lacks the human touch”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #39 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Along with my spouse and my 9 month old kid, we stayed at Marina Bay Sands for 3 nights last week. While the hotel is brilliant, shiny and full of glitz, it needs to work on the service aspect which is of utmost importance.

During check-in, I was allotted a room in the 3rd floor. Upon entering the room, it turned out that the room faced a busy express-way and a construction site across the express-way. When I requested for a change of room at the reception, the response was very curt. I was told that if I changed the room they would not be able to provide a king bed. Now this seemed quiet strange given that they have 3 towers of 55 storeys each!! On being asked which floor the new room shall be, I was again curtly told that the floor# can't be shared as if it was against the national security interest of the country. I finally had to settle in the 3rd floor and suffer the noise of the express way throughout the night. Again during checkout, I requested for my luggage to be brought down and surprise surprise I was asked to wait for 20 minutes when my taxi was waiting downstairs to take me to the airport.

The size of the room was quiet average and the toiletries were again average for the stature of MBS.

On the positive side, the hotel is ideally located at Marina Bay. The SkyPark and the infinity pool are a must visit. The club "Ku De Ta" is a great hangout to share a drink with buddies. The Shoppes offer a great variety for the shopping fans. Every evening there is a laser and water show at the promenade which is quiet entertaining. The eateries on the promenade are quiet good but on the expensive side which is expected given the location.

Room Tip: Room on the higher floor facing the seaside.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I regret to hear that you experienced challenges that may have marred your otherwise pleasant visit.

We do our very best to assist our guests with their preferred room types when we have the rooms available. I apologize for the poor handling of your request. I have shared your feedback with the relevant Department Heads to look into the noise insulation for the rooms.

Service is a priority for us. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously upgrade our service touch points on our journey to service excellence. I have sent you a private message for us to look into the details of your comments.

I hope that you and your family will allow us to welcome you back in the near future to experience more of our multi-dimensional offerings.

There are newer reviews for Marina Bay Sands

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Whether you are in Singapore for one day or for more,a visit to the MBS is essential. We stayed for 24 hours and we will never forget it for his imposing appearance from many parts of the city ... Staying in the MBS is something you should have the opportunity to do at least once in your life....
Describing the hotel I would like to refer to the special effort made by all staff so that our stay here was made memorable.... No one, but no one is walking by without greeting and saying hello...!!!
Our room was on the 12th floor and it looked very spacious. The bathroom with two sinks, tub and shower and equipped with everything the traveler needs to freshen up, even if you have forgotten something at home.
The highlight of course is the sun & pool deck on the 57th floor connecting the three towers, and we did not waist the opportunity to visit. In the ground floor you will find many shops, but not a convenient store, which you probably will not miss, because every thing you don't find in the room, you will find in the stores of the ground-floor or in the mall across the street. On the ground floor you will find restaurants for your meals and a very special shop called "sweet spot" with very good coffee and pastry. We had some "no luck" in the casino while trying 1-2 slots, and that was it...!!!..
Keep in mind that internet is for free, and as in every 2-2,5 thousand room hotel check in can be waiting for some time...

Room Tip: The higher the better...Floors from 25-26 and above facing the city...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am thrilled to hear that your recent stay with us was a successful one. It is always a pleasure to hear that our Team Members succeeded in providing a memorable experience for our valued guests.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time up on the SkyPark and that you had the chance to visit Sweet Spot, where we serve a wonderful spread of pralines, pastries and desserts, all made in-house.

We have just rolled out a state-of-the art arrival service that allows hotel guests the option of completing the check-in process by the time they arrive at the hotel.

This innovative arrival experience begins the moment a guest boards the complimentary Marina Bay Sands coach at any of Changi Airport’s four terminals. A Marina Bay Sands guest service agent will register the guest’s details via handheld tablets. As an industry’s first, the data will be updated in real-time into the hotel guest system, allowing for the full onboard check-in experience, complete with credit card verification and key-card collection.

Upon arrival at Marina Bay Sands, the checked-in guests are able to proceed directly to their hotel room, maximizing their time on property. Outfitting of the technology on board the entire fleet of Marina Bay Sands airport coaches is expected to be completed by end-March.

I hope to welcome you and your family back to stay with us in the near future at our one-stop destination of entertainment, shopping and restaurants.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 4days last 2010 for a double celebration, his birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary. I booked the Orchid Suite and a pick-up limo service from them. Lo and behold upon arriving at the airport, there's no one at the MBS reception desk, no limo service, so we took a taxi going to the hotel and upon checking-in they gave us a room to which i presumed was the Orchid Suite. The room is big but the balcony is dirty, the lounge chair inside the bedroom has seen better days. I can't complain at that time so as not to spoil the reason why we were there in the first place. Good thing the hotel staff were polite and courteous. Server at the Skyroom was great, their bellhop and housekeeping at the 17th flr. And BTW, upon checking their website the room they gave us was not Orchid Suite and they charged me for an Orchid Suite..FYI.. I did complained, but fell on deaf ears..no actions/compensation taken.. too bad..

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay with us. We are disappointed to learn about the challenges you and your partner experienced which may have marred your otherwise pleasant experience. I have sent you a private message and look forward to hearing from you so we can investigate and improve on the details that you have provided feedback on.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Fantastic hotel if you are looking for a buzz. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights to attend a conference. Always throngs of people in the lobby and the connected shopping area. Food is very good but at very high prices...then again, food in any 5 star hotel in Singapore is expensive.

Had a deluxe room in Tower One and had a pretty amazing sea view from the 40th level. However, I think the rooms with view of the river and financial district would have been more amazing. The room was very spacious and had all the modern amenities. However, the one glitch was that after placing my personal stuff in the room safe, the safe would not reopen because the batteries (on the secret code keypad) gave up on me. Alhough they sent someone to fix the problem, this, I thought, was not good enough. The hotel should have done a pre-check before guests check-in.

Another bummer I thought was the check-in system. After getting from the airport, who doesn't look forward to a speedy check-in? Instead, the check-in line system was divided into 4 or 5 separate lines each with about 2 service staff behind the counters facing the respective line. The problem with such a system is that in a place like Marina Bay Sands, the profile of visitors is going to be varied e.g. some lines had vacationers, groups, families hence some counters took much longer to check the guests in. As a result, there were several guests who were checked-in quicker than me (at least 4 different guests) even though I was in my line before they were in theirs. I think this system definitely should be improved on in particular guests who are there for business or conferences will be annoyed at how on occasions, the check-in lines can move too slowly for their liking.

Other aspects of the hotel's service were good. The waiting staff that served room service (food) appeared very polite and genuine about whether there was anything else I wanted.

In all, the hotel provided a memorable stay with certain areas to work on.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pedigreebull

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I regret to hear that your stay with us was not a totally successful one.

I apologize for the inconveniences caused due to the glitch with your room safe. We are keenly aware of the need to continue being receptive to guest feedback and refine our processes. I have shared your feedback with our relevant Department Heads.

We are continually looking at ways to improve the check-in and check-out processes, particularly during peak periods and weekends. To speed up the check-in process, we have separate check-in counters for individual travelers, tour groups and VIP guests at Tower 1, Tower 3, and a private lobby for these respective groups.

You will be pleased to know that, as of 10 February 2012, we have introduced the Advance Service Kiosk (A.S.K.) which provides fast basic services such as express check-in and check-out, keycard collection and(or) activation, printing and(or) checking of invoice, and currency exchange.

I value your patronage and I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us for more memorable visits.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed 2 amazing nights. We asked for a complimentary upgrade because it was for a birthday celebration. We were upgraded to the club room which was huge! However when I asked if we were allowed access to club lounge for complimentary pre-dinner drinks which normally came with the club room we were told "no". We were fine with that because we were grateful we got the upgrade. Later that night we decided to have a drink at the club lounge and have it charge to our rooms. When we told them our room number we were told it was complimentary. Score!

We also did the chocolate buffet dinner there. It was indulgent to say the least. Very rich. Our eyes were definitely bigger than our stomachs.

When we checked out we asked if there was anywhere to leave our luggage because we had a later flight. They gave us keys to a guest room. We relaxed in the room until it was time to catch the complimentary shuttle bus to the airport. There was only 1 other guest in the room with us the whole time we were there. It was a nice touch.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Wishing you a Happy Belated Birthday! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your room upgrade during your birthday celebration.

It is a priority for us to continue being receptive to guest feedback, to identify gaps and refine our service processes to ensure that our guests have a warm and comfortable stay.

We are always excited to be a part of our guests’ special occasions and we certainly look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands for more memorable once-in-a-lifetime experiences!