“Truly a five star experience in this historic hotel”
Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #35 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

We booked this hotel after a long 3.5 weeks touring South East Asia and we had previously been to Singapore and was looking for somewhere unique to stay whilst maintaining a non boutique feel. This hotel delivered on all fronts. Stunning luxurious rooms, friendly staff, complimentary evening drinks and canapés and spacious bath in the room.
When we arrived the wifi in our room was not working which was frustrating and i spoke to the front desk and they arranged for a new router to boost or fix the issue and was resolved in 15mins. Also having a Nespresso in the room was fantastic, as it made it feel more like home.

We ate at the Salon for breakfast and given the quality of the food we decided to give the 4 course dinner offer a go. On paper it didn't look overly enticing but we decided to have it anyway. We are glad we did as the mushroom soup was one of the best I've ever had and each course was full of flavour and just enough and beautifully presented.

On our last day the late check out was fantastic but our flight wasn't until 2am. The hotel allowed us to stay and use all the hotel facilities and even once again join the complimentary drinks.

Even on our return to Sydney we were notified that we had left an item of non value in the room, and still whilst the item was not important the fact that they still emailed to let us know was unexpected. I haven't received such service like this in such a while.

Thanks Hotel Fort Canning for a truly memorable end to such a great holiday. Its been 2 weeks since we checked out but we miss being at your hotel and still reminiscing about being there.

Truly a Five star experience.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nevanlalich
HFCManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Dear nevanlalich,

Greetings from Hotel Fort Canning.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and taking the time to leave such a glowing review for us.

It is gracious gestures such as this from our valued guests like yourself that continue to motivate our team members to improve our hospitality services, and we will be delighted to share your kind compliments with all team members.
We are glad to hear you had enjoyed your room featuring our signature picture window design by the award-winning DP Architects, in-room amenities such as Nespresso machine with capsules, TWG teas, complimentary Wi-Fi, and mingling with other guests at the Private Lounge during Aperitif Hour. Executive Chef Tan and his culinary team will also be delighted to learn your praise for the food that they had prepared.

Thank you for your patience as our Front Office tried to resolve the Wi-Fi connectivity issues for you; we are glad to hear that it was resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner.

It has been a true pleasure having you at our urban oasis and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Abigail

Write a ReviewReviews (1,345)

Reviewed 31 August 2016

I did not stay in this hotel and gotta cancel my 3 days 2 nights biz trip to Singapore due to the Zika virus outbreak since Sun, it is especially inappropriate for women to travel there who are planning about pregnancy. The hotel did not accept my late cancellation or reschedule at no extra cost (Indeed, I requested to cancel my booking on the following working day i.e. Monday, after the news report about this virus outbreak on Sunday) and I was told I will be charged one night SGD252 according to my booking record for this late cancellation. After I expressed my disappointment in email to the Hotel Reservation Manager directly, I was offered a kind of "option" if by the same day, I can accept and pay SGD188.32 immediately as an additional non refundable amendment charge and I can rebook these two nights in the last week of Sep, however, the term that I have to agree with them is no further amendment, no cancellation and no refund. I explained to the Hotel that I can't foresee the situation of this Zika virus and how could I commit to take more risk to lose more money if I still cannot go to Singapore at the end of Sep? The hotel then counter offered me that I can re-book these two nights to stay with them at anytime, except blackout dates, for maxi. 6 months (still, I will have to pay SGD188.32 and settled 2 nights by my credit card BY TODAY). I really do not want to stay in this hotel after all these bad experiences, and would rather just lose one night hotel cost. This hotel is only thinking about themselves (to close the deal and today is the month end), not fit to claim themselves as luxury services at all! Just now, they told me the amount should be SGD296.61 (inicluding tax and misc. %) and not SGD252 for the cancellation. Very awful and cheeky when there's no services being provided or done at all and asked me to understand they are doing business.... I think guests should really consider is it a nice friendly hotel to stay in, they don't even consider people's concerns and safety.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Virginia L
Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

This is a wonderful place to stay in Singapore, although not a cheap one.
If you don't mind paying a little extra for excellent facilities and service, this is a great choice.
We chose it for a number of reasons, chief of which were its setting in a park and its low-rise setting (3 floors only).
It was, during WW2, the headquarters for the British Far East command, and has had several uses since, including laying idle for a number of years. Only a few years ago it was converted to this quite luxurious hotel, with lovely dining, chemical free pools and a lovely bonus of complimentary canapés and drinks for guests in a private lounge every night from 6-7 pm.
Orchard Road shopping precinct and the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station are a few minutes walk away...downhill on the way and uphill to return to the hotel...a little fitness is required! Great for the exercise conscious.
Also nearby in Fort Canning Park are some gems. The ASEAN sculpture garden, the Battlebox and the wonderful Spice Garden. The is also a link to cross to the National Museum across the road.
Further around the park are walkways to Bras Basah, City Hall and Clarke Quay MRT stations.
Far from the madding crowds, but within easy reach of all of Singapore's attractions - loved our stay!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wayne S
HFCManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2016

Dear Wayne S,

Greetings from Hotel Fort Canning.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and taking the time to share your experience with us.

As the only hotel to be nestled among 18 hectares of historic national parkland, we are privileged to share the heritage of our historic building and unique location in the heart of the city with valued guests such as yourself, and are always delighted to hear when our guests appreciate it as much as we do.

We are glad to hear you had found time for a jaunt in Fort Canning Park, a dip in our mineral swimming pools which are purified with NASA technology and enjoyed mingling with other guests during Aperitif Hour at the Private Lounge.

Thank you for your kind compliments for our team members, we are glad they have made your stay with us so delightful and will be sure to share your gracious sentiments with them as further motivation.

It has been a true pleasure having you at our urban oasis and we look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

Myself and my two year old daughter had a reasonably pleasant stay here in July.
The staff were excellent and managed to get us into our room early which was very much appreciated with an exhausted toddler.
We had an unfortunate experience with the bottled hotel water. After a long nights sleep we both drank some of the water and we were both immediately sick. There was definitely something wrong with it. I have travelled extensively through Asia and never had an issue with hotel water. I informed the staff but I definitely got the impression they didn't believe me.
The other strange thing is that there were no changing rooms by the pool. This was a little annoying as I didn't want to walk through the hotel in my bathing suit!
Apart from that , a pleasant stay and the staff were a delight with my little girl.
I will not drink bottled hotel water again!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
HFCManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Dear jem_s364,

Greetings from Hotel Fort Canning.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and sharing your experience with us.

We are sorry to hear that you had taken ill during your visit.

As this has not happened to our guests before, we were immediately concerned and had made several offers for a doctor to tend to you and your daughter, which were declined.
We also did not receive any similar feedback from other guests about the bottled water in their rooms.

As a precautionary measure, we had immediately informed our bottled water provider about this and would like to share that there has not been a recurrence of such incidents since.

We hope you have both recovered well and remain at your service.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

Hotel Fort Canning is a great place to stay in Singapore. The swimming pool is fabulous! The rooms are spacious and clean, although it can be 3pm in the afternoon before your room is serviced. However the cleaners offer a first class service and are so polite and very helpful. Breakfast has something for everyone, eggs cooked to order, British and American fayre as well as local cuisine, it's fab. At 6pm complimentary wine , fruit juice and appetisers are available free of charge. The hotel weren't able to offer a late checkout but did permit us to shower in the spa area before our long flight home. This hotel was an absolute pleasure to stay in with polite, courteous staff. I really couldn't fault it and would definitely staff again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JMF_7
HFCManagement, Front Office Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2016

Dear JMF_7,

Greetings from Hotel Fort Canning.

Thank you for your kind compliments and gracious sentiments, we are glad to hear that our team members have delighted you so during your stay at our urban oasis.
Executive Chef Tan and his culinary team will be delighted to hear you had enjoyed the breakfast spread and canapés for Aperitif Hour which they’d prepared. We are also glad to hear you’d managed to spend time at our mineral swimming pools which are purified with NASA technology.

It has been a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to your return soon.