“Best Japanese in Singapore - complete dining experience!”
Review of Shinji by Kanesaka

Shinji by Kanesaka
Ranked #186 of 10,681 Restaurants in Singapore
Price range: US$60 - US$360
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Core
Zurich, Switzerland
“Best Japanese in Singapore - complete dining experience!”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This has got to be my favorite Japanese restaurant in Singapore!
I have eaten there about 5 times in 2011 (3 times for lunch, twice for dinner) and have never been disappointed - the service and quality of the food is always consistently mind-blowing.

Run jointly by Joni Ong & Oishi-san, hospitality is at its very best, with Oishi-san's Japanese take on hospitality and Joni's candid, unaffected & warm demeanour.
My family and I have always felt very much welcome there.

Counter seating - and usually packed over lunch hours - be sure to make a reservation in advance! Some would complain of the lack of privacy since it's a rather communal seating arrangement, but I myself have found it to be quite an experience in itself, and extremely authentic. :)

If it's your first time there, be sure to
1. Make a reservation
2. Ask for Oishi-san to serve you
3. Opt for the basic set for lunch (I always go for the 9 pc set, being petite and constantly on a diet, I can barely finish the 7th piece - or the slightly more premium one, when my paycheck's come in)
4. Make sure you have 2-3 hours, with someone you deeply care about so you can slowly enjoy each dish, banter with the sushi chef and drink some sake with your loved one.

The sushi melts in your mouth, is so fresh you half expect the fish slices to perform a little musical and dance around on its rice ball.
<3<3<3 worth every penny. (even though it's a hell of a lot of pennies you're paying!)

For lunch I tend to get away with paying $150-200 per head while for dinner it's about $350-400 with Sake, per head.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank ge0rgeous

• Korean first
Bratislava, Slovakia
“The Ultimate sushi experience”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is a pricey place, so do not gow if 300S$++ per person will make you feel unconfortable. But if you can afford it and if you want to experience something extraordinery make sure to visit Shinji.
The two hours I have spend there count among the most exciting and amusing time I have ever experieced during dinner.
Can't wait to return.

Singapore
“Again and again”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Never disappointed.
Been here several times, service check. Food double check. Ambience check.
What more can I ask for?:)

Tokyo, Japan
“Not sure if it is worth”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I visited shinji on mid November. It has nice authentic decor with beautiful wooden counter. We order omakase. Entire experience was ok but I just simply felt painful when I paid the bill (nearly $600). Of course with this price it should be good quality but I ususally concern the cost performance and it makes me feel not worth for it. As I mentioned it was ok. Food is good, Service honestly so so, ambience very good. I believe this price range should show something special and wow theguest. Just it doesn't make me feel happy after the meal like everybody commented and make me feel to come back. If I am rich, it doesn't matter but I rather recommend to go to Japan and have same quality in more reasonable price even pay for the air ticket.

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank David19860
Singapore
“Omakase the way I like it”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Omakase roughly translates to "chef's recommendation". @ Shinji, you get to choose the chef you want to serve you. The sashimi is always fresh...and sometimes, the chef will share a joke with you. (I particularly find one chef really cute! :) )

My fave at Shinji is the uni (sea urchin) which can be served in so many ways...whatever the chef deems the best way to serve it. Sometimes, it's in season and you'll have a range of choices.

There are different omakase sets to choose from and I usually go for the $250 set menu (excluding taxes and service charge). The lunch set starts from $75. I have yet to try the dinner omakase set.

Visited February 2011