“Chilli Crab the best value for money in Singapore”

Chinatown Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #260 of 11,296 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Description: Think Chinatown, Think seafood! Best black pepper crab/chili crab in Singapore. Chinatown Seafood Restaurant.
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Ive been to many places in Singapore just to taste their Chili Crabs. Ive visited the famous ones in swanky places and Ive also tried the ones sold at hawkers centers. The Chili Crabs here at Chinatown Seafood Restaurant is so far the best deal Ive had. The taste was great, I think even better than the very popular ones although there is one taste of Chili Crab that really stands out, it the one at Imperial Palace but that will be for a different review. I would not say this is the best tasting in Singapore, because you see its like Kung Fu where every master, student, school would say my kung fu is better than your kung fu and its really hard to say for a fact. So the taste here I think is at the level of great, but what I really really like about this place is the size of the crabs. I have been duped by all, I mean all the other restaurants that I have tried in Singapore served me their 1kg size or 1.2Kg or 1,5kg when I know for a fact its not even 1kg. Maybe if they included the sauce and all it would weigh a kilo. Im a fanatic when it comes to Chili Crabs and I know just by looking at the crab how heavy that would have been before it was cooked. So I was really very happy when I saw this humongous claws and big carapace served on a platter that I was getting the real 1.2 kg crab. The value for money does not stop there. This is the only place where I experienced eating crabs that are so fat, I mean full of the fatty goodness embedded inside the shell. Ive never experienced that in other restaurants in Singapore so when I saw those red-orange chunks of cooked crab fat I knew I was in for a great feast. The sauce was good, the buns were hot and overall I think I have no complaints what so ever about the quality and the size of the chili crab served. I was smiling from ear to ear after eating. The dining area is big, it has the same set-up as a food hawker center but I think it might be hot and humid during the day as they have a lot of electric fans placed around the dining area. We ate there at night and it was raining so the temperature was ok. The service was fast, you can ask how the chili crab could be cooked - you want it extra spicy or just mildly spicy and they will adjust the chili factor. They also serve other dishes from fish to prawns and I think also chicken. The place was packed but it seems that people really go there just to eat and leave after the meal and wander around Chinatown for other bargain treats, so you can wait for a short time to get a table.

25  Thank woodstuck

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I've been eating on this corner since 2003, every time I've stopped over in Singapore. I used to look forward to the cheap but good quality meals served here, but not so now. The Chinatown Seafood Restaurant has gradually pushed the previous restaurant out (Wan Tang Eating House), first pushing it next door before totally taking over. In the process, the food quality is now poor and the service is not any better. Yes, the beer is cold and ok.

We went here twice on the 25th March 2012 and on the way home on the 5th April 2012. Both times, crab shells in our rice, dry/cheap ingredients and the food is now expensive. On the last occasion, they totally forgot the main course we ordered.

Unfortunately this location is not a good one for quality meals. The street vendors have more to offer.

If you're looking for a rough and ready place to watch the football from and just have a beer, it's ok as you have three big screens.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

5.9$ only. It is good place to have a beer, or two (five). And if this is not 50 characters, then nothing

Reviewed 26 February 2012

we stumbled upon this place in a panic to escape a tropical downpour, the tables were outside but under cover. we sat with a Tiger beer at only $5.90 per large bottle (great value) and no ++ on the prices here either. we sat and people watched until the rain passed and then a little more.
We went back couple of days later for dinner and had some great frogs in ginger (local favourite) and oatmeal prawns. The service was fast and friendly, the food was good, the beer was cheap and cold and its a great place to watch the world walk by. I will be back again!

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Chinatown Seafood Restaurant is right on the corner of Trengganu and Pagoda St. The beer is cold and cheap, the people watching particularly good from the corner position,

Their speciality is seafood - there are tanks of live fish and shell fish on site. The fresh fish is sold by weight and is more expensive than more traditional Chinese food that they also sell.

I particularly enjoyed a plate of fresh prawns cooked in an oatmeal batter. The crab is also excellent

Service is vary fast and efficient, but nobody minds if you loiter, have another beer and watch the eclectic mix of Western tourists, local Chinese, Buddhist monks, backpackers, etc pass in front of your table.

This is not haute cuisine, nor do they have white table-cloths, but they do extremely well what they set out to do - cook you fresh fish