My boyfriend and I attended the cupcake class on 19 Dec. There were a total of 4 students on that day. In summary, we did not enjoy the class and felt cheated due to the following reasons:
1) Mode of teaching
- No proper introduction by the teacher of her culinary qualifications/ professional baking experiences.
- We were each given a piece of paper with the recipe for 24 cupcakes and therefore we thought that we would each make 24 cupcakes. However, the teacher told us that the 24 cupcakes were for all 4 students and she would like us to make more so that she could give some cupcakes to the bosses.
- We did not have individual sets of baking materials and ingredients. Instead, ingredients for 30 or so cupcakes were placed in the middle of the kitchen island and the teacher called names to perform certain roles. For example, the teacher would say "XXX would you like to sift the flour?". Meanwhile, the remaining 3 students watched on together with the teacher.
2) Inefficiency and hiccups
- We were told to scoop the batter into the cupcake paper cups. There were 4 of us but only 2 scoops were available. As a result, we had to take turns and the whole process took longer than necessary.
- While waiting for the cupcakes to be ready, we were suppose to make vanilla buttercream frosting as part of the recipe. The plan was for us to chose 6 cupcakes each and decorate them with the vanilla buttercream frosting. However, the teacher was unable to make the buttercream even after 2 attempts. As a result, she had to make whipped cream instead. Worse still, the first batch of whipped cream was not enough for the 4 of us and we had to wait again for her to make more whipped cream.
- When we registered for the class, it was clearly stated on the website that the course kit for us to take home would include the following:
"Your course kit, worth $25, will include the following to take home:
• Wilton 11” spatula
• Piping tips 2D, 1M, Round
• Piping bags
• Cupcake box"
However, we did not receive the round piping tip, piping bags and coupler. The teacher could not find enough new round piping tips and hence all 4 of us did not get it. My boyfriend and I asked for the coupler at the end of the class and the teacher shared that she did not prepare them because we would not need it for the class. For the piping bags, we used 1 each for piping the whipped cream. I was not sure if we could take the unused ones home but I did not bother to ask.
Overall, I felt that the $320 we paid for 2 person was not well spent at all and I would not recommend anyone to attend the class.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.