“Peranakan Buffet at the traditional Swisshotel”

Ellenborough Market Cafe
Ranked #565 of 11,073 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Quays
Description: Experience a modern interpretation of Straits Chinese, or Peranakan, cuisine in our daily lunch, dinner and weekend high tea buffet spreads. Indulge in new menu highlights such as Nyonya Satay Chicken and Braised Pork Belly La Mian, along with all-time favourites including our signature Ayam Buah Keluak and Durian Pengat.
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My hubby wanna go for buffet and I wanna go for Peranakan food, not many places in Singapore provide such deal, except Swisshotel Merchant Court - it provides plenty choices of Peranakan food for buffet, which suits what we wanted.

I would say this hotel looks very classy and traditional to me, so does this hotel cafe. I was quite impressed. It has such strong traditional and stylish Peranakan atmosphere in the cafe - the china being used to hold the Peranakan foods, the huge Peranakan printed vase in the middle of food bar etc, all the elements added up to create such harmony environment.

Each person pays ard SGD 52++ is a good deal for such environment and quality Peranakan Foods in buffet style.

We would definitely consider to visit again :)

There are newer reviews for Ellenborough Market Cafe

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I ate one dinner at the seafood buffet. The tiger prawns were outstanding. I also ordered a crepe and was about third in line. Went back to sit down, and the cook actually came and got me to make sure I got my crepe. Excellent service!

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I used to have problem in the past trying to book this restaurant...always full. The last two visits in March, I did not have a problem.

The dinner buffet is very famous and to me, it was good. The spread was good...There's chilled seafood corner, there's sashimi and sushi, Chilling crab, crayfish, steamed fish, etc.. And even a great selection of desserts!

However, what I find lacking was the service. There were many staff there but there were not proactive. There was not bowl of water for you to wash your fingers, the crab's pinches were not cracked and you have to ask for the gadget to help crack the pinches.

The other restaurant that is under the same group and serve similar buffet provides such good service that makes you feel that the Ellenborough Market Cafe has much to improve on!

Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Food wise is fine, but the peranakan food section needs more work, there are places that are better. International selection could do with more choices perhaps. Desserts are good. Service is good too; guy named Bill waiting our table of 13 was nice.
Atmosphere is okay, although they had to put standing fans to circulate the air and cool the place.
The drinking glasses were dirty, not the outside of it but the INSIDE of the glass.

1  Thank L0wA
Reviewed 10 January 2013

There is a great buffet available in tge Ellenborough but having had our fill of asian food we chose items from the menu. The food was very good quality and reasonably priced. The real issue during our visit was the service. Initially it was fine but staff became much more interested in setting up breakfast rather than serving dinner guests. Having waited 15 minuits after finishing our main course and still not had any of the staff approach us, we gave up and went to our room for coffee. The service let down an otherwise good food outlet.

1  Thank Stevew07