“Long Bar for the Singapore Sling”

Raffles Hotel Singapore
Ranked #4 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stopped by this hotel during our stay in Singapore just to say I had the Singapore Sling here. Didn't realized there were different flavors--Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, Tropical, Courtyard and Original. We ordered the Summer and Original. At 26 SGD each, they weren't cheap. Peanuts provided for each table and tossing the shells on the ground is encouraged. Every so often, electric fans overhead starts moving.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 October 2011

Everyone must stay at Raffles once in their lifetime. My husband & I had 4 days here in a Palm Court Suite and our stay lived up to all expectations. From the moment you walk through the beautiful entrance you are treated with the utmost courtesy and genuine friendliness that belies the fact this is a commercial establishment that has a huge turnover of guests. Guests have their own Butlers who are on duty 24 hours a day and will appear within minutes of you buzzing them - no request is too difficult and they remember if you have certain preferences. Our Butlers were wonderful and provided little surprises during our stay. On our last night we had booked for Dinner in the Grille but after breakfast, lunch & the High Tea mid afternoon we couldn't eat another thing so cancelled and opted to stay in our Suite after a swim in the pool. What did our Butlers do - set up our verandah table with a vase of red roses and scattered orchids and arrived with an ice bucket of champagne - really touching and appreciated.
The Palm Court is beautiful, particularly at night with the lights on and free from all traffic noise. The suites all lead off the wide verandah that surrounds the Court and outside each suite is a wicker table & chairs - perfect for relaxing with coffee or a cocktail. The suites themselves are spacious with a smallish sitting/dining room as you enter with a sofa, chairs & TV, dining table & chairs and a fridge. There is also an internet connection here. You can request tea making facilities but not coffee as it is freshly brewed and the Butlers deliver it on request. Fresh fruit and bottled water is delivered daily. The bedroom is large with an extremely comfortable King bed, sofa, plenty of cupboard space and an additional TV. To the rear of the bedroom is a large dressing room with twin basins which leads to a bathroom with shower, bath, loo and a drying rack for those wet bathers, etc.
We ate breakfast in the Tiffin Room each day which is a relaxing experience. Tea, coffee, juice are brought to you on arrival and orders taken for the hot component. There is also a large selection of food from the buffet - all delicious. High Tea is also served in the Tiffin Room and is very popular with non guests. We opted to take High Tea one afternoon in the guests area on the first floor overlooking the foyer - a lovely experience. Cocktails on the verandah outside the Billiard Room were also relaxing and we did this on several occasions. They have a selection of excellent cigars which really appealed to my husband. At the rear of the Raffles complex is a large courtyard containing restaurants, cafes, an excellent bakery for sandwiches and some fabulous shops. The Raffles Shop has a huge variety of souvenirs to suit all tastes.
And the oasis within an oasis is the Spa, pool and bar on the roof where we relaxed at some point every day. The staff are terrific and will go out of their way to fill your orders, whether it be for a certain type of drink or light meal. And there are little touches like fresh berries on skewers and nuts to nibble on.
There is so much history at Raffles and much of it has been retained. The ambiance is fabulous with a great deal of thought put into the detail - little nooks and crannies where you can sit and read or just people watch, the amazing floral arrangements that pop up in the most unexpected places, listening to the pianist of an evening, the tradition of the clock in the foyer - they all add up to the perfect hotel - a world away from the daily hustle & bustle of the city.
You can request a late checkout (available depending on how busy Raffles is) but even if you have an evening flight you can check out, leave your luggage in the baggage room and Raffles will give you another key that gives you access to the guests precinct including the pool area where there are dressing rooms and showers to freshen up.
Yes, Raffles is expensive compared to other Singapore Hotels but it is worth every penny and our experience of other hotels here in the past paled into insignificance.

Room Tip: The Palm Court Suites are away from any noise from the street.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AussiePam47
Pierre J, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your fantastic comments of your visit to Raffles. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and have already shared your great review with the team.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and delighting you with another memorable experience.

Best Regards,
Pierre Jochem, General Manager & Regional Vice President, Operations, Asia Pacific

Reviewed 23 October 2011

A true historic hotel which kept its soul, elegance and provide a real palace service. The decor, the building, the furnitures, are all exquisite and elegant, but more than this the hotel kept a true ambiance of Grandeur.
They are making a good job in keeping the hotel for residents, are you don't feel at all in a zoo with "tourists" taking picture in every corner. The staff is genuinely pleasant and dedicated.
I tried a couple of outlets, and all were up to standards ...
Rooms are massive, I had a Grand Suite overlooking the courtyard, and really comfortable. True some details show that the building is aging, but knowing you are in a piece of history you almost expect it. But for a historic hotel, WIFI is free!
Definitely worth to stay ...

Room Tip: Go for the Suite on Palm court, more quiet!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Olivia S, Guest Relations Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Thank you so much for staying with us and for recommending us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that you found our service and selection of bars and restaurants to be excellent.

We hope to welcome you back soon. Please do contact me directly on your next visit and I will oversee your stay personally.

Olivia Slous, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 21 October 2011

Raffles is a piece of history. I like plush modern five star hotels as much as the next person, but when you have the opportunity to stay somewhere that is unique and has so much history behind it, why would you want to stay anywhere else? We stayed two days at Raffles in a Palm Court suite and I only wish it could have been longer. Our suite was enormous and beautifully decorated. The bed was supremely comfortable. I loved exploring the property and walking around the grounds - the property is a peaceful haven in the middle of bustling Singapore. The rooftop pool in particular is an oasis of calm. It is the service they provide however that truly sets Raffles apart from the crowd. All of the staff members were so friendly and helpful and our butlers were superb, including making a fuss of my husband's birthday. I love this hotel and will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Singapore.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Olivia S, Guest Relations Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found our service, suite and spa facilities to be excellent.

We very much look forward to welcoming you and your husband back one day soon.

Olivia Slous, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 13 October 2011

I stayed at Raffles for 3 nights in October 2011 in a Palm Court Suite. The classic hotel is 120 years old and has a very colonial feel to it. You will not confuse the hotel for a Mandarin Oriental or a Four Seasons. If you are expecting all the latest electronics and gorgeous modern bathrooms, you will be sorely disappointed. if you like classic old rooms with high ceilings, ceiling fans and high service levels at high prices, Raffles may just be the place for you.
I booked into the hotel using the AmEx Fine hotels programme, which provides a series of benefits including an upgrade, if one is available. When I checked in, I asked for an upgrade and was told that none was available at the suite level immediately above the Palm Court level - The Personality Suites. However when I checked the hotel's website after getting into my room I saw that there was, in fact, availability in that level of rooms with a choice of either a king or twin beds for the full duration of my stay.
My suite was reasonably large, with a king bed and high quality sheets and pillows and decorated in an old fashioned style with heavy mahogany furniture. There was a small (22"?) TV in the armoire - a CRT, rather than a flat screen. The bathroom was reasonably spacious but had slightly antiquated plumbing with a few water sounds from the pipes and a shower door that creaked.and a tiny scratched bathtub.
Service levels were high, other than the snafu when checking in and a slow room cleaning on the second day of my trip.
The buffet breakfast was of high quality and with a pretty wide selection and additionally had a menu of cooked dishes such as the (not very well prepared) eggs benedict that I ordered.
I went to the gym a couple of times, which is small with only 4 cardio machines, 1 weight machine and some free weights.
The hotel offers free wireless internet service, but the speed was too slow to easily support streaming video.
I think the right demographic for this classic old hotel is either elderly (60s and 70s) or someone who loves antiques and old colonialism.
For me Raffles, while impressive in some ways, is just not my cup of tea. When next in Singapore I will stay at one of the new 5 star luxury places rather than returning to Raffles.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business