“Nice with a good price”
Review of Kam Leng Hotel

Kam Leng Hotel
Ranked #274 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed here fo 5 nights and this hotel is pretty much beyond our expectations
The room is a bit small but it's very comfortable bathroom is nice too
And housekeeping is very nice
In front of the hotel there's 7eleven and hoa nam buliding station
Beside the hotel there's ponggol nasi lemak
The hotel is in pretty good area
For a price that we pay the hotel is definitely worht it even beyond than that
The nearest mrt station is farrer park beside city square mall
And moreover is close to mustafa center

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 January 2017

I've stayed at Kam Leng around 3 or 4 times over the last 3 years. I kept returning because I like the location (proximity to MRT, good bars and restaurants) and for the low cost it's hard to beat. I was always willing to tolerate the lack of windows in most rooms, the fact that you hear every sound from neighboring rooms (including running water from showers and toilet use) and the very basic bathrooms because the price was extremely low and the location good. In short, it was fine value for what you were paying for.

After my latest visit I will have to reconsider. The basic furnishings of the hotel are in desperate need of renovation. What was once budget and low-cost now feels worn and gross. Carpets need a deep clean, towels are starting to thin and fray at the edges, and every time you enter the room after spending several hours out you are greeted by a deep, musky smell. After a few minutes of the AC the smell disappears, but it still doesn't put you at ease.

Overall: it has been a fine place and great value for the low price, and considering that I spend most of my time out and about in Singapore I've always been willing to take the trade-off. Until there are renovations to the bathrooms and bedrooms I am unlikely to return. The low cost isn't enough to justify my unease in sleeping in conditions that I can't be sure about.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Paul L
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

The hotel itself is not bad: clean, well-maintained and despite the old building, it actually is a charming place. From the looks of it, the restoration works done on the building is admirable. Old clocks, mirrors and even the window sills all send you back through time.

My only concern is its distance to the nearest MRT station. I have visited Singapore many times and I delight in the fact that almost all places are reachable through the MRT. However, this hotel is really far and you will mostly likely have to walk a couple of blocks just to reach City Mall where the Farrer station is.

Taxi is not difficult but we still preferred to walk to the train station. We just thought of the distance as our daily exercise.

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank Brent H
Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

We stayed for one night on 31 Dec 2016. when we reached the room, we realised that the bedsheets and pillow cases were sticky so we called the reception and they sent a housekeeper to attend to our complaint. When she came, she was extremely rude and insisted that the sheets were fresh and said that we will need to wait for 20mins for her to change both the bedsheets and pillow cases. The changed sheets were so much better. We're not accusing her or the hotel of giving used sheets but her defensive attitude and customer service could have been better.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank unmaksed14
Reviewed 5 December 2016

Probably the best value in town but it wears thin after a few nights. First night we were at the front of the hotel and the stree noise and local construction was deafeining. The bed was tired and the air con was noisy. We moved to another room and all of those things were a bit better but still not much. Bearly a 3 star but it is in a really quaint part of town and transport from here is very easy. Lots of great local eateries around but a bit of a trip to get to any shopping or main attractions. That is were the convenient access to bus and train (or Uber) comes in handy. Don't stay too long and the unique and quaint feel starts to rub off and give way to a sore back and not enough sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are less noisy