“Lovely decor, so-so service, great location”
Review of Kam Leng Hotel

Kam Leng Hotel
Ranked #254 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 28 February 2017

We went to Singapore last year (2016) in September and stayed there for 5 nights.

I wasn't so sure when I booked it but I really like the decoration theme, besides the price was really good. I chose the largest room they had in the booking. (I got the Executive queen room at the building corner) Please note that since it located on the main road you would be hearing traffic noises. Just request a higher floor.

This place overall was not bad. The service was pretty minimal. The amenities were basic, they had shampoo & soap dispenser in the shower. The hot water was working ok. The bed was ok-not the most comfortable, pillows were the same. (Too soft for me.) The room we stayed was kind of damp. You could leave the bathroom door open during the day to help with the ventilation. What annoyed me the most was all the windows were all bolted shut except the ones in the bathroom. It took us a while to get used to it.

Other than that the location was pretty nice. Away from the touristy place but had a lot to explore around. We discovered a nice cafe nearby called CSHH (Chye Seng Huat Hardware) for our breakfast.(The hotel cafe was under renovation back then.) And there was a convenient store the opposite side of the hotel, the 24 hours food center, you could also walk to MRT pretty easy, and hey, little India was just there.

Probably will go back there again.

Room Tip: Request higher floors to avoid traffic noises.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank powderv

Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed one night. That was enough. The room had a musty smell and was very small. Shower was ok, hot water but not a lot of pressure.

Breakfast not included, but available for purchase. We left very early so can't comment. WiFi was very good

Location near little India good.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

The nostalgic feel of a 1950's hotel with an upgrade. Surrounding with wonderful people. Wonderful
And simple breakfast meal to choose from to ease your hungry tummy after a good rest. The room is comfortable with minimal eminities but hey, the price is good and you get a good rest. Easy to move around and most areas are within walking distance. Enjoy and love it.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed here fo 5 nights and this hotel is pretty much beyond our expectations
The room is a bit small but it's very comfortable bathroom is nice too
And housekeeping is very nice
In front of the hotel there's 7eleven and hoa nam buliding station
Beside the hotel there's ponggol nasi lemak
The hotel is in pretty good area
For a price that we pay the hotel is definitely worht it even beyond than that
The nearest mrt station is farrer park beside city square mall
And moreover is close to mustafa center

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2017

I've stayed at Kam Leng around 3 or 4 times over the last 3 years. I kept returning because I like the location (proximity to MRT, good bars and restaurants) and for the low cost it's hard to beat. I was always willing to tolerate the lack of windows in most rooms, the fact that you hear every sound from neighboring rooms (including running water from showers and toilet use) and the very basic bathrooms because the price was extremely low and the location good. In short, it was fine value for what you were paying for.

After my latest visit I will have to reconsider. The basic furnishings of the hotel are in desperate need of renovation. What was once budget and low-cost now feels worn and gross. Carpets need a deep clean, towels are starting to thin and fray at the edges, and every time you enter the room after spending several hours out you are greeted by a deep, musky smell. After a few minutes of the AC the smell disappears, but it still doesn't put you at ease.

Overall: it has been a fine place and great value for the low price, and considering that I spend most of my time out and about in Singapore I've always been willing to take the trade-off. Until there are renovations to the bathrooms and bedrooms I am unlikely to return. The low cost isn't enough to justify my unease in sleeping in conditions that I can't be sure about.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business